Antiphons and Small Entrance Hymns List

  • Spartakos
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2013
      To see all of the antiphons and small entrance hymns that we added to
      newbyz.org, look under the following feasts:

      On the main page:

      September 14 - Elevation of the Holy Cross
      September 8 - Nativity of the Theotokos
      November 21 - Presentation of the Theotokos
      December 25 - Nativity of Christ
      January 1 - Circumcision of Christ
      January 6 - Theophany
      Febrary 2 - Presentation of Christ
      March 25 - Annunciation
      August 6 - Transfiguration of Christ
      August 15 - Dormition of the Theotokos
      First Sunday of Lent - Orthodoxy
      Third Sunday of Lent - Veneration of the Cross
      Palm Sunday
      Ascension Thursday
      Pentecost

      On the Saints page:

      Anthiphons and Small Entrance Hymn for Weekdays
    • andonioscornett
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2014
        Thank you for this resource. In regards to the Antiphons and Small Entrance Hymn for Weekdays file, I am curious about the order presented. Where was this gleaned from? In the Greek texts I have for Weekday Divine Liturgy that isn't the celebration of a Major Feast, I have only seen the following order for parish practice that don't do Typika/Beatitudes:

        • 4 Verses for 1st and 2nd Antiphon (often shortened to 3 as shown in the PDF you provide), and 3 Verses for 3rd Antiphon.
        • 1st Antiphon refrain is the same as shown in PDF. Includes "Glory; both now" and a repeated refrain.
        • 2nd Antiphon refrain is "Through the intercessions of Your saints, save us, O Lord". Includes "Glory; both now" and "O, Only-begotten Son and Word of God..."
        • 3rd Antiphon refrain is what you have for the 2nd, which is equivalent of "Save us, O Son of God, Who are wondrous in the saints, save us who sing to You: Alleluia". No "Glory; both now". No Apolytikion before Entrance.
        • Entrance Hymn is as provided in the PDF, followed by Apolytikion.

        I have seen the confusingly simple rubric in many English texts about replacing "risen from the dead" with "wondrous in the saints", but it is usually placed at the 2nd antiphon as if to suggest replacing it at that point. When it comes to the 3rd antiphon, many of the English service texts don't show what to do for Weekday, as the texts are often intended for Sunday use. The Greek texts I have seem to be clear on the order of this (Ενκολπιον αναγνοστου και πσαλτου & Συστεμα τυπικου). I am curious to know any further insight on the matter.
        Thanks!
        -Anthony
      • Michael Anthony Cornett
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2014
          Forgive me for the obvious typo...should read "Εγκολπιον Αναγνωστου και Ψαλτου"