Change of spelling for St. Haralambos

  • Spartakos
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2013
      After chanting the apolytikion of the saint yesterday, it occurred to me that I should spell his name Haralambos instead of Charalambos. The latter spelling is actually the phonetic transliteration of the Greek, but most references to the saint that I've seen in English are spelled without the C, which would imply the CH pronunciation as in "chop." We use CH as the phonetic for the Greek X, because of the universal spelling of "Christ." We explain in our books that the CH should be pronounced like a gutteral H. But the English spelling of saints' names and other Greek words do not follow our phonetic renderings.

      Therefore, I have made an adjustment to the apolytikion by changing the English spelling to Haralambos. I also wondered whether or not I should place the accent on the second syllable as in the Greek pronunciation, but I decided to keep the accent of the Anglicized word on the third syllable, which follows the English pronunciation pattern for 4-syllable words, which is that accents usually occur on the first and third syllables. If anyone has any opinions on this, let me know.

      I have designated the sheets with the new spelling as v. 1.1.