Re: new paralegal question

  • pittsburghgal2003
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2003
      Hi.
      Well I can't say that I am an expert in the Paralegal field, but I am
      a Paralegal and I have a fair knowledge of both the technology and
      legal fields.

      I would definately say that you would have a lot more job security in
      a legal profession. In general, the legal field is much less affected
      by hard economic times than many other industries, such as
      technology. There is a need for lawyers and law departments in both
      good and bad economic times.

      As far as hours...I can only tell you from my experience. I work at a
      very small law firm of 30 employees and I have a pretty normal
      life...generally I work 8-4, with the occasional long weekend of work
      before big cases or extra hours on an evening here and there to get
      last minute things done. But overall I have pretty normal shifts.
      I'm not sure how hard it is to get jobs at larger law firms or
      corporations in comparison to smaller law firms. I have my Bachelor
      of the Arts degree in Psychology and I worked in that field for a
      little while and then I got my Paralegal Certificate. After I
      completed my Paralegal Certificate I started looking for work in the
      legal field. I applied to an ad in the local newspaper for an entry
      level paralegal job and I got lucky and got it. I really love it and
      it's been a great place to learn for me.
      Obviously everyone would want a job with normal hours, but there are
      tons of other things to consider too, like job responsibilities and
      the type of law that you will be working in. So consider it all
      before just looking for good hours. Hopefully you can find a job
      where you can have it all.

      I'm sure there would be a way to combine your technology experience
      with the legal field, but that would be something you would want to
      research more. There are so many jobs in the legal field and so many
      options, I'm sure you could find an area that would fit you and your
      experience.

      I hope this at least gives you some idea of what you could expect in
      the legal field. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have
      or to talk with you more regarding this. Feel free to contact me if
      you want to talk more about it. You can email me at
      mrsrs2001@....