Licensing requirements?

  • ratbabygurl
    Message 1 of 368 , May 12, 2001
      Thanks to everyone who answered my questions
      about employment, salaries, etc. in the Baltimore/DC
      area - now I have another question. One friend
      believes that I will need "to be licensed" to get
      paralegal jobs out there. (No, I have not moved yet, but
      I'm planning on being out there for good in late
      summer.) I've checked a number of job postings both online
      and in area newspapers and haven't seen that any
      special licensing is needed. I already have a paralegal
      certificate. I know that knowledge of the local court rules,
      knowing how to prepare filings for each state, etc. will
      be very helpful. What additional qualifications are
      there, if any?
    • salvimom
      Message 368 of 368 , Dec 2, 2001
        Hello all. I am a 32 year old paralegal and have
        been practicing for over 10 years. I have worked most
        recently in corporate law, real estate, and litigation.
        Last year, I relocated from Florida to New York and
        got a great job at a start-up in Manhattan. I was the
        corporate paralegal for the general counsel, and later (as
        the layoffs started), became the Human Resources
        Director, Office Manager, Executive Assistant to the CEO
        and COO, and the resident MAC expert (most of these
        jobs with no prior experience!). I was due for a $6k
        raise on my one-year anniversary, 9/13. Unfortunately,
        my company closed 9/11 as our main investor lost a
        large portion of its portfolio companies which were
        housed in the WTC. I am relocating to the Chicago area
        once I find a job. My boyfriend and I were there for
        Thanksgiving and interviews last week, but no one has bitten
        yet. Everything is so slow out there right now. Hope
        something comes through soon!