slowdown?

  • mensa58
    Message 1 of 368 , Mar 14, 2001
      Any of you out there seen effects of the economic
      slowdown? My firm is still busy; I personally am low on
      billables but not dangerously slow. I want to get a good
      cushion built up before the summer though, for a couple
      of reasons -- (1) to make up for the time I'm taking
      off for summer vacation; and (2) to make up for the
      hours I'll lose when the firm gives work to summer
      associates instead of me.<br>I find that the summers get
      some of the work I might otherwise get. I already know
      how to do the projects (and, by the attorneys'
      admission, better than the attorneys in some cases) but they
      need/want to train summers. Oh well, that's a fact of life.
    • salvimom
      Message 368 of 368 , Dec 2 3:31 PM
        Hello all. I am a 32 year old paralegal and have
        been practicing for over 10 years. I have worked most
        recently in corporate law, real estate, and litigation.
        Last year, I relocated from Florida to New York and
        got a great job at a start-up in Manhattan. I was the
        corporate paralegal for the general counsel, and later (as
        the layoffs started), became the Human Resources
        Director, Office Manager, Executive Assistant to the CEO
        and COO, and the resident MAC expert (most of these
        jobs with no prior experience!). I was due for a $6k
        raise on my one-year anniversary, 9/13. Unfortunately,
        my company closed 9/11 as our main investor lost a
        large portion of its portfolio companies which were
        housed in the WTC. I am relocating to the Chicago area
        once I find a job. My boyfriend and I were there for
        Thanksgiving and interviews last week, but no one has bitten
        yet. Everything is so slow out there right now. Hope
        something comes through soon!