Law school or not?

  • mensa58
    Message 1 of 368 , Sep 28, 2000
      Someone on another board posted a reply to me,
      and the sense was "why don't you go to law school and
      use your knowledge more wisely"?<br>As a paralegal, I
      make great money (base and OT), work with great
      attorneys (who give me credit for my knowledge), the firm
      treats us well, and I still have a life. The big bucks
      salaries of attorneys don't make up for no life and high
      student loans. (not a fair trade-off)<br>Any thoughts?
    • salvimom
      Message 368 of 368 , Dec 2, 2001
        Hello all. I am a 32 year old paralegal and have
        been practicing for over 10 years. I have worked most
        recently in corporate law, real estate, and litigation.
        Last year, I relocated from Florida to New York and
        got a great job at a start-up in Manhattan. I was the
        corporate paralegal for the general counsel, and later (as
        the layoffs started), became the Human Resources
        Director, Office Manager, Executive Assistant to the CEO
        and COO, and the resident MAC expert (most of these
        jobs with no prior experience!). I was due for a $6k
        raise on my one-year anniversary, 9/13. Unfortunately,
        my company closed 9/11 as our main investor lost a
        large portion of its portfolio companies which were
        housed in the WTC. I am relocating to the Chicago area
        once I find a job. My boyfriend and I were there for
        Thanksgiving and interviews last week, but no one has bitten
        yet. Everything is so slow out there right now. Hope
        something comes through soon!