Titles (reply to madame_ram)

  • mensa58
    Message 1 of 368 , May 1, 2000
      Come on now, don't get in a sweat over titles.
      I've noticed (over my 15-year career) that titles vary
      from firm to firm. At my current firm we're
      paralegals, and case assistants help us. At my former firm,
      we're legal assistants, and legal assistant clerks help
      us. I'm doing the same work whether the firm calls me
      a paralegal or a legal assistant; I have the same
      high regard from the attorneys and the same high level
      of assignments.
    • salvimom
      Message 368 of 368 , Dec 2, 2001
        Hello all. I am a 32 year old paralegal and have
        been practicing for over 10 years. I have worked most
        recently in corporate law, real estate, and litigation.
        Last year, I relocated from Florida to New York and
        got a great job at a start-up in Manhattan. I was the
        corporate paralegal for the general counsel, and later (as
        the layoffs started), became the Human Resources
        Director, Office Manager, Executive Assistant to the CEO
        and COO, and the resident MAC expert (most of these
        jobs with no prior experience!). I was due for a $6k
        raise on my one-year anniversary, 9/13. Unfortunately,
        my company closed 9/11 as our main investor lost a
        large portion of its portfolio companies which were
        housed in the WTC. I am relocating to the Chicago area
        once I find a job. My boyfriend and I were there for
        Thanksgiving and interviews last week, but no one has bitten
        yet. Everything is so slow out there right now. Hope
        something comes through soon!