Whats the good word?

  • butter1head
    Message 1 of 56 , May 3 7:32 AM
      Its kind of funny I saw your message here. I am a
      junior attending tech and plan to go to law school after
      graduation. I am a ChE. I have conversed over email with a
      lot of patent lawyers and have gotten their opinion
      on a lot of things, including what you asked. Pretty
      much everyone said that the better you do in your
      degree(especially engineering), the less anything else will play a
      part. Basically they are saying that a company would
      want a top notch EE patent attorney than a 2nd rate,
      "well-rounded" EE patent attorney. <br>Just to give you notice,
      if you plan on practicing patent law in georgia, go
      to a georgia law school. Your degree from tech means
      a lot. The only other way would be to go to a law
      school with a high reputation, like duke or something.
      If you look at the law firms here in atlanta, most
      of the real patent attorneys are from tech. I say
      real because there is a difference between a patent
      lawyer and attorney.<br>Here is a quote from one of
      those attorneys" You did the right thing going to a top
      notch engineering school instead of a second tier
      school. Most law firms place a heavy emphasis on your
      undergraduate education as opposed to your law school
      education."
    • Alun
      Message 56 of 56 , Nov 8, 2002
        --- In greedyipassociates@y..., diamonds_hof wrote:
        > Yes, some firms do their own patent searching. If
        > the topic is not too technical that is probably a
        > good way to do it. But, we specialize in searches in
        > biotech, physics, chemical engineering, and other such
        > topics. To do a good search on these things, you really
        > need to have a Ph.D. (or at least graduate training)
        > to make sure you can properly analyze the invention,
        > and the prior art.<br><br>By the way, we just put up
        > a new web site. Check it out:
        target=new>http://www.patentcomplete.com</a>

        You don't need a PhD to properly analyze 90% of inventions. Given that
        you generally need a degree in a technical subject to get a
        registration number (notwithstanding some people I could mention with
        a psychology degree and a few credits in C++!) obviously the
        professionals in patent law firms will have the technical background
        to do the search. If they didn't, then they would hardly be qualified
        to write and prosecute the applications, would they?

        I was a searcher for a long time before becoming an agent, and have
        seen this from both sides. Generally, a search is only done if the
        applicant thinks it worthwhile. Many (most?) of them think they know
        the state of their particular art much better than they really do (
        especially ignoring the many patents that never see the light of day
        as products), and so no search ends up being done. The patent
        attorney/agent is often loath to push the client towards a search, as
        they may not get to write an application, but relatively few
        applicants raise the issue themselves.

        Many law firms do use searchers who lack any technical background,
        which I have never thought was wise, although some of them are very
        good on simple mechanical art. The fact is that the law firms are
        driven by cost (they have to keep the cost low relative to the cost of
        preparing the application), and as a result searching does not pay
        very well for those who have the background it really requires. This
        is one reason I quit the search firm I had worked at for 16 years and
        became a patent agent. If you have a staff of PhDs, I imagine that
        they were previously working in acadaemia, as that is about the only
        place where technical qualifications will get you an even lower wage
        than in a search firm. My apologies if that seems a little unkind, but
        it is what I have observed.