Re: A Freshmen in college.

  • hokie1
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 24, 2001
      Jaimepomme,<br><br>There are really no classes to
      take. IMO, the best patent attorneys out there are
      former examiners at the US PTO. Although things have
      changed alot, the best IP experience u will get is
      working for the PTO for about 2 years. By the time u
      finish your first year, you will become dangerous. At
      the end of your second year, you will learn how to
      build a case against the applicant and learn how to
      dissect arguments.<br><br>Currently, alot of people are
      taking the patent bar and prosecuting, but in all
      honesty, they don't know alot. Plus, with PTO experience,
      your value goes up tremendously the further u are away
      from the DC area....
    • Alun
      Message 56 of 56 , Nov 8, 2002
        --- In greedyipassociates@y..., diamonds_hof wrote:
        > Yes, some firms do their own patent searching. If
        > the topic is not too technical that is probably a
        > good way to do it. But, we specialize in searches in
        > biotech, physics, chemical engineering, and other such
        > topics. To do a good search on these things, you really
        > need to have a Ph.D. (or at least graduate training)
        > to make sure you can properly analyze the invention,
        > and the prior art.<br><br>By the way, we just put up
        > a new web site. Check it out:
        target=new>http://www.patentcomplete.com</a>

        You don't need a PhD to properly analyze 90% of inventions. Given that
        you generally need a degree in a technical subject to get a
        registration number (notwithstanding some people I could mention with
        a psychology degree and a few credits in C++!) obviously the
        professionals in patent law firms will have the technical background
        to do the search. If they didn't, then they would hardly be qualified
        to write and prosecute the applications, would they?

        I was a searcher for a long time before becoming an agent, and have
        seen this from both sides. Generally, a search is only done if the
        applicant thinks it worthwhile. Many (most?) of them think they know
        the state of their particular art much better than they really do (
        especially ignoring the many patents that never see the light of day
        as products), and so no search ends up being done. The patent
        attorney/agent is often loath to push the client towards a search, as
        they may not get to write an application, but relatively few
        applicants raise the issue themselves.

        Many law firms do use searchers who lack any technical background,
        which I have never thought was wise, although some of them are very
        good on simple mechanical art. The fact is that the law firms are
        driven by cost (they have to keep the cost low relative to the cost of
        preparing the application), and as a result searching does not pay
        very well for those who have the background it really requires. This
        is one reason I quit the search firm I had worked at for 16 years and
        became a patent agent. If you have a staff of PhDs, I imagine that
        they were previously working in acadaemia, as that is about the only
        place where technical qualifications will get you an even lower wage
        than in a search firm. My apologies if that seems a little unkind, but
        it is what I have observed.