$ The Star Spangled Banner - Howard Scott Pearlman's Version

  • howardpearlman2003
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2002
      The Fourth Verse

      of the Star Spangled Banner

      Oh thus be it ever when all men shall stand

      Between our loved homes and war's desolation

      Blessed with beauty and peace may our heavenly lands

      See the light up above and become more than nations

      But if battle we must for the cause that is just

      May we choose as standards those that all men can trust

      Then the Star Spangled Banner in honor shall wave

      Among the lands of the free and the home of the brave

      Francis Scott Key
      and
      Howard Scott Pearlman

      Copyright 1989 Pearlman

      howardpearlman@...

      Star Spangled Banner as Written by Francis Scott Key

      O! say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
      What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming:
      Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
      O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming,
      And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
      Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
      O! say, does that Star-spangled Banner yet wave
      O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

      On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep
      Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
      What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
      As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
      Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam --
      In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream;

      'Tis the Star-spangled Banner, O! long may it wave
      O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

      And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
      That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
      A home and a country should leave us no more?
      Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
      No refuge could save the hireling and slave.
      From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave!

      And the Star-spangled Banner in triumph doth wave
      O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

      O! thus be it ever when free men shall stand
      Between their loved homes and the foe's desolation;
      Bless'd with victory and peace, may our Heaven-rescued land
      Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation
      Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just --
      And this be our motto -- "In God is our trust!"

      And the Star-spangled Banner in triumph shall wave
      O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.