NE OH - N IN - SW MI

  • Marc Fannin
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
      I was able to return to Berrien County, Michigan (southwest corner of
      the lower peninsula). Following are comments. (Anything notable not
      listed is probably included in a prior report - see
      http://www.roadfan.com/triprep.html . Not all contruction
      encountered is listed.) To follow along, start at
      http://tinyurl.com/84t7z or
      http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.639694,-
      81.372299&spn=0.039853,0.087736
      and scroll westward. :)

      August 3, from I-90 at Ohio SR-306 (Exit 193, Mentor):

      Route: I-90 WB (parts with SR-2) to SR-2 WB (near Elyria) to SR-53 SB
      to I-80/90 WB to US-31 NB

      Ohio:

      - You may have heard about the planes at Cleveland's Burke Lakefront
      Airport (next to the infamous Dead Man's Curve on I-90 at SR-2 Exit
      174B) being tossed around in a severe storm last week
      http://news.google.com/news?q=burke+lakefront+storms+swelter
      http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=38445
      I had also heard on the radio at the time about a loose sign in the
      road. Going through the interchange yesterday, I figured out what
      they were talking about. The last advance BGS for SR-2 had its
      topped ripped off. Similar to the sign in
      http://www.roadfan.com/deadman2.jpg (but the next gantry after the
      one pictured), everything above "Downtown" was gone except the
      vertical supports. Looked weird, like a truck had clipped it, but
      the "clipping" was on top....

      - Meta-warning: In the construction zone on I-90 in Rocky River,
      Ohio, there were construction diamond warning signs saying "RUMBLE
      STRIPS". I have seen a permanent version of this (with the
      word "AHEAD") on PA SR-285 approaching an intersection just inside
      the Ohio border near the Pymatuning Reservoir.

      - As I mentioned earlier, the SR-2 freeway at the east end has
      ARTIMIS-style 2/10 milemarkers
      ( http://www.artimis.org/system.php ) with the zero point being the
      Indiana line.
      http://groups-
      beta.google.com/group/misc.transport.road/browse_frm/thread/6c3984325d
      4fb371
      The SR-2 freeway in Lorain County has these with the Erie County line
      as the zero point. This is in addition to Interstate-style (whole
      number) milemarkers and exit numbers, all set to the county line (see
      http://www.roadfan.com/lorain.html#oh2 ).

      - Stopoff at the approaches to the demolished Sandusky Bay lift
      bridge (former SR-2, later SR-269, see
      http://www.roadfan.com/bayport.html#bay for a 2000 visit). The
      approaches were being used for ODOT vehicle storage in conjunction
      with bridge repair on the adjacent SR-2/269 crossing.

      - On the Ohio Turnpike/80/90, saw a semi with "S.F. - N.J. Trucking"
      or something similar, and thought how appropriate that was being on I-
      80; however, the headquarters (wish I could remember the name) were
      in St. Paul, Minnesota.

      - I-280/SR-420 interchange: Just before the interchange WB, there
      used to be a sign directing travellers "TO {75} NORTH / Detroit",
      stemming from the fact that the I-75 interchange on the Turnpike is a
      recent addition, plus, even with the I-75 interchange, I-280 is
      usually a good cut-off. Now, for whatever reason, likely because of
      the I-280 construction over the Maumee River in Toledo (construction
      of a cable-stayed bridge to replace the existing drawbridge
      http://www.lookuptoledo.org/ ), the legend has been changed to "TO
      [420] SOUTH / Stony Ridge". Unfortunately, that's deceptive, as the
      road south at the exit *is* SR-420. Also, traffic entering the
      Turnpike WB had been routed onto the new exit ramps, just east of the
      old ones, but WB exiting traffic still used the old ramps. The new
      entrance ramp went behind the old ramps before merging with the
      mainline, a configuration that looked like it could be permanent
      (although I'm not sure it will be since I've never seen maps of the
      final configuration).

      Indiana:

      - No backups at the booth at the west end of the Ohio Turnpike or the
      one at the east end of the Indiana Toll Road (yes, both are
      considering transponder systems), but a major backup on a Toll Road
      resurfacing project west of I-69.

      - Stopped at the Ernie Pyle Travel Plaza on the Toll Road (MM 126
      westbound), and was happy to see that there is now a dedicated area
      for tourist information in the old game room, rather than just the
      old brochure rack by the main entrance. Still no transportation
      maps, though, only tourist maps (the transportation map slathered
      with tourist ads and no city insets). There were cards for
      construction in NW Indiana and Chicago, one by the Gary-Chicago-
      Milwaukee transportation entity
      ( http://www.gcmtravel.com/ ) and one specifically for the Borman
      Expressway (I-80/94) by INDOT. The latter was a postcard. Yes, a
      postcard. There was room on the back on the right side for an
      address and a stamp. "Wish You Weren't Here!"

      - The Indiana Toll Road has had its signage upgraded near South
      Bend/Mishawaka/Elkhart. Approaching Exit 96 (Elkhart CR-17), just
      past the "Elkhart East 1 MILE" sign, was a small supplemental sign
      mentioning CR 17 and M-217. Finally. Unfortunately, between
      thinking that that would be the only mention of the routes, and my
      tourist-like distraction looking at the southeast corner of the
      interchange where there was an animated sign posted and a field being
      cleared for the, uh, Recreational Vehicle/Motor Home Hall of Fame and
      Museum (really:
      http://www.rv-mh-hall-of-fame.org/ ), I looked up just in time to see
      that the BGS at the exit now included a CR-17 pentagon to the left
      of "Elkhart East" (even though Elkhart County doesn't use pentagons)
      and an M-217 marker, Michigan-style (no "M", numbers centered), so my
      camera wasn't ready. Oops. The South Bend/Mishawaka exits sign just
      before Exit 83 (read on) had also been replaced - before it simply
      gave the mileage to the next three exits; now it shows their route
      shields and gives the mileage from each exit to two destinations for
      each (I did geta photo of that). As mentioned before, a SR-331 sign
      has been added to the top of the left side of each BGS for Exit 83
      (timeline of the 331 relocation:
      http://www.roadfan.com/sbnelkrd.html#331 ). However, I let three
      signs pass (1 mile, 1/2 mile, "NEXT RIGHT") before taking a picture
      of the one right at the exit, so I could get the exit in the
      background, but IT WASN'T THERE. 1-for-3 [jumping up and down in
      frustration] Maybe I can get the two I missed on the way back....

      Michigan:

      I attempted a shot of the remnants of the left-turn pavement markings
      immediately before the M-139 underpass (Exit 15) on US-31 NB near
      Berrien Springs, from when 31 ended temporarily at a traffic light
      there (1992-c.1998). I hope it comes out because there were orange
      markings on the pavement in the area, meaning that they're likely
      going to rebuild it soon (they already wrer further south around US-
      12).

      ___

      August 4, various roads in greater Berrien/Van Buren Counties in
      Michigan

      - As noted before, I-196/US-31 goes through a sandy area a few miles
      north of I-196's southern terminus, due to the proximity to Lake
      Michigan and its sand dunes. However, most of it is grown over with
      vegetation, so you wouldn't know it's sand except in the few existing
      bald spots, and a couple depressions ("blowouts"?) just across the
      tree line, although the inside shoulders looked a bit sandy as well.

      - Clearview sightings: "Lake Michigan College/South Haven" on I-
      196/US-31 approaching Phoenix Road (the north end of South Haven's I-
      196 BL, Exit 20). NB the "South Haven/Next 3 Exits" might also be,
      but I couldn't tell for sure.

      - Visited the MDOT Coloma Transportation Service Center near I-196/US-
      31 Exit 1 (Red Arrow Highway, old US-12, ancient US-12/31). Asked
      what I could get. Was told it was a business office. The nice but
      bewildered employee appeased me with a couple MDOT '05's and a
      couple "Paving the Way 2005" construction brochures. :)

      - Tower Drive, a residential street just outside Benton Harbor, need
      to change its name because the high-tension towers which ran along it
      (the wires were directly above the road) have been moved, likely
      because of an expansion of the nearby Southwest Michigan Regional
      Airport. (No, it doesn't really need to change its name....)

      The report for the rest of the trip (undoubtedly along with half a
      dozen things I forgot above) will be in a reply to this message, and
      might include a side trip.

      Marc, posting from lovely Lincoln Township, Michigan, just east of
      Stevensville

      [See also m.t.r]
    • Barry L. Camp
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2005
        I would be curious if you had a free moment to visit the IN-MI-OH
        tri-point, and find out if the granite marker (erected/maintained by
        the USGS) was restored.

        It was broken about 2 years ago, and the last time I visited (March of
        last year) it was still not replaced.

        Barry

        Barry L. Camp

        In theory there is no difference between theory
        and practice, but in practice there is.
        - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • H.I. Goldman
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2005
          --- In greatlakesroads@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Fannin" <musxf579@h...>
          wrote:

          > - I-280/SR-420 interchange: Just before the interchange WB, there
          > used to be a sign directing travellers "TO {75} NORTH / Detroit",
          > stemming from the fact that the I-75 interchange on the Turnpike is
          > recent addition, plus, even with the I-75 interchange, I-280 is
          > usually a good cut-off. Now, for whatever reason, likely because of
          > the I-280 construction over the Maumee River in Toledo (construction
          > of a cable-stayed bridge to replace the existing drawbridge
          > http://www.lookuptoledo.org/ ), the legend has been changed to "TO
          > [420] SOUTH / Stony Ridge". Unfortunately, that's deceptive, as the
          > road south at the exit *is* SR-420.

          I was just along that stretch of the Ohio Turnpike this past week and
          noticed the advance BGSs for the I-280/SR-420 have been recently
          replaced and now show only the I-280 shield (although the sign right
          at the exit is still an original and shows both routes). So in that
          sense the TO OH-420 sign is appropriate, although I suppose we could
          argue the TO is unnecessary. (IIRC, the same situation exists ebd at
          the I-71/US-42 interchange where the BGSs now only show the I-71
          shield and there's a TO US-42 sign there somewhere.) The TO I-75
          DETROIT sign is still there somewhere, I think west of I-280 --
          curiously, the cardinal NORTH has been greened out but the control
          city of Detroit remains. (And the point of that little exercise is
          what?) The sign was originally before the I-280 interchange, and was
          a holdover from before there was a direct connection to I-75.
          Considering its location, it's useless now.

          Consistency of signage on the Turnpike ain't what it could be. The
          ebd BGSs for I-280/SR-420 haven't been replaced and still show both
          routes, thus not matching the wbd side. And my favorite, which will
          be disappearing soon if not already: The control cities for I-280/SR-
          420 are Stony Ridge and Toledo, but the guide sign past the tollbooth
          says Lemoyne for OH-420. Other signage is just weird: Why is it
          standard to have control cities indicated on advance BGSs at the 1
          mile and 1/2 mile points, but not at the 2 mile point or at the exit?
          And at the Vermilion interchange, why is "Baumhart Rd" in reverse
          (green on white)?

          Howard I. Goldman
        • Marc Fannin
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2005
            --- "Barry L. Camp" <blcamp@y...> wrote:

            > I would be curious if you had a free moment to visit the IN-MI-OH
            > tri-point, and find out if the granite marker (erected/maintained
            > by the USGS) was restored.

            Sorry, had to stick to the main roads, so didn't see it.

            Marc
          • Marc Fannin
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 2005
              --- "H.I. Goldman" <wanderer2575@h...> wrote:

              > --- "Marc Fannin" <musxf579@h...> wrote:
              >
              > > - I-280/SR-420 interchange: Just before the interchange WB,
              there
              > > used to be a sign directing travellers "TO {75} NORTH /
              Detroit",
              > > stemming from the fact that the I-75 interchange on the Turnpike
              is
              > > recent addition, plus, even with the I-75 interchange, I-280 is
              > > usually a good cut-off. Now, for whatever reason, likely
              because of
              > > the I-280 construction over the Maumee River in Toledo
              (construction
              > > of a cable-stayed bridge to replace the existing drawbridge
              > > http://www.lookuptoledo.org/ ), the legend has been changed
              to "TO
              > > [420] SOUTH / Stony Ridge". Unfortunately, that's deceptive, as
              the
              > > road south at the exit *is* SR-420.
              >

              > I was just along that stretch of the Ohio Turnpike this past week
              and
              > noticed the advance BGSs for the I-280/SR-420 have been recently
              > replaced and now show only the I-280 shield (although the sign
              right
              > at the exit is still an original and shows both routes). So in
              that
              > sense the TO OH-420 sign is appropriate, although I suppose we
              could
              > argue the TO is unnecessary. (IIRC, the same situation exists ebd
              at
              > the I-71/US-42 interchange where the BGSs now only show the I-71
              > shield and there's a TO US-42 sign there somewhere.) The TO I-75
              > DETROIT sign is still there somewhere, I think west of I-280 --
              > curiously, the cardinal NORTH has been greened out but the control
              > city of Detroit remains. (And the point of that little exercise
              is
              > what?) The sign was originally before the I-280 interchange, and
              was
              > a holdover from before there was a direct connection to I-75.
              > Considering its location, it's useless now.
              >
              > Consistency of signage on the Turnpike ain't what it could be.
              The
              > ebd BGSs for I-280/SR-420 haven't been replaced and still show
              both
              > routes, thus not matching the wbd side.

              They WILL be replaced very soon, because I saw their replacements in
              a sign storage area just east of SR-53 (missed on the way out
              because of going a different way).

              (See also my return trip post which I'm about to write.)

              > And my favorite, which will
              > be disappearing soon if not already: The control cities for I-
              280/SR-
              > 420 are Stony Ridge and Toledo, but the guide sign past the
              tollbooth
              > says Lemoyne for OH-420. Other signage is just weird: Why is it
              > standard to have control cities indicated on advance BGSs at the 1
              > mile and 1/2 mile points, but not at the 2 mile point or at the
              exit?

              That's the way they've always done it, I guess. (When the Turnpike
              opened in 1955, BGSs were still mostly experimental.)

              > And at the Vermilion interchange, why is "Baumhart Rd" in reverse
              > (green on white)?

              This is unusual but not unique. IIRC there are other examples of
              this in Chicagoland and New York State which were around earlier (so
              there's precedent).

              Marc
            • Marc Fannin
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 8, 2005
                Note: Some comments below refer to threads in different forums.
                m.t.r:
                http://groups-
                beta.google.com/group/misc.transport.road/browse_frm/thread/821094c284
                9a95ec
                GLR: See the thread tree under the message at
                http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/greatlakesroads/message/7515

                Marc Fannin wrote:

                > I was able to return to Berrien County, Michigan (southwest corner
                of
                > the lower peninsula). Following are comments. (Anything notable
                not
                > listed is probably included in a prior report - see
                > http://www.roadfan.com/triprep.html . Not all contruction
                encountered
                > is listed.) To follow along, start at
                > http://tinyurl.com/84t7z or
                > http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.639694,-
                81.372299&spn=0.039853,0.087736
                > and scroll westward. :)
                >
                > [August 3 and 4 mostly snipped]
                >
                > The report for the rest of the trip (undoubtedly along with half a
                > dozen things I forgot above) will be in a reply to this message, and
                > might include a side trip.

                August 5:

                Route: US-31 SB to I-80/90 EB to SR-15 SB to SR-34 WB to SR-49 NB to
                I-80/90 WB to US-31 NB

                Michigan:

                - Formerly IIRC the only Old US-31 marker assemblies in Berrien
                County were at the approaches to the turn in downtown Berrien Springs.
                http://www.roadfan.com/oldus31.jpg
                Now there is an assembly above the destination sign next to the
                preexisting M-139 assembly
                (previously looked like http://www.roadfan.com/meim-139.jpg )
                on the US-31 SB Exit 15 offramp.

                Indiana:

                - There still is a "HOOSIER HOSPITALITY IS NO ACCIDENT" black-on-
                white sign on US-31 just past the Indiana line, and it looks like the
                one that's always been there judging from the yellowing.

                - No "control" of controls: At the US-31/I-80/90/Nimtz Parkway
                interchange, the control for US-31 NB from Nimtz as well as on US-31
                mainline is "Michigan"
                http://www.roadfan.com/sjvpintr.jpg
                but on the Toll Road ramps it's "Niles MI"
                http://www.roadfan.com/sjvpctl.jpg
                At the next interchange north (Bus. 31/Cleveland/Brick Roads)
                it's "Benton Harbor". This is likely a holdover from when this
                section of freeway only ran north to US-12, but the sign there now is
                brand new (a tipoff was the larger "N" in "NORTH").
                (Aside: The ramps to US-31 in that interchange are labelled on street
                signs as "US 31 NE RAMP" or "US 31 NW RAMP" depending on the corner
                of the flipped diamond
                http://www.in.gov/dot/div/technology/interchanges/US/31/ic264.pdf
                I'm thinking "N" and "S" rather than "NW" and "NE" would be clearer.)
                The control for US-31 NB in Michigan is consistently "Holland".

                > - The Indiana Toll Road has had its signage upgraded near South
                > Bend/Mishawaka/Elkhart. Approaching Exit 96 (Elkhart CR-17), just
                past
                > the "Elkhart East 1 MILE" sign, was a small supplemental sign
                > mentioning CR 17 and M-217. Finally. Unfortunately, between
                thinking
                > that that would be the only mention of the routes, and my tourist-
                like
                > distraction looking at the southeast corner of the interchange where
                > there was an animated sign posted and a field being cleared for the,
                > uh, Recreational Vehicle/Motor Home Hall of Fame and Museum (really:
                > http://www.rv-mh-hall-of-fame.org/ ), I looked up just in time to
                see
                > that the BGS at the exit now included a CR-17 pentagon to the left
                of
                > "Elkhart East" (even though Elkhart County doesn't use pentagons)
                and
                > an M-217 marker, Michigan-style (no "M", numbers centered), so my
                > camera wasn't ready. Oops.

                In my defense, I was trying to remember what "RV/MH" stood for, plus
                the leveller was kicking dust onto the Toll Road, so I was looking
                for the source of the dust....

                (BTW, as mentioned elsewhere in the m.t.r thread, there also is now
                an M-217 shield among the ramp signs.)

                > The South Bend/Mishawaka exits sign just
                > before Exit 83 (read on) had also been replaced - before it simply
                gave
                > the mileage to the next three exits; now it shows their route
                shields
                > and gives the mileage from each exit to two destinations for each (I
                > did get a photo of that).

                See the photo in the aforementioned reply. It actually still only
                identifies the distances to the respective exits from the sign.

                > As mentioned before, a SR-331 sign has been
                > added to the top of the left side of each BGS for Exit 83 (timeline
                of
                > the 331 relocation:
                > http://www.roadfan.com/sbnelkrd.html#331 ). However, I let three
                signs
                > pass (1 mile, 1/2 mile, "NEXT RIGHT") before taking a picture of the
                > one right at the exit, so I could get the exit in the background,
                but
                > IT WASN'T THERE. 1-for-3 [jumping up and down in frustration]
                Maybe I
                > can get the two I missed on the way back....

                It wasn't there EB, either, but this time I was prepared, between the
                trip out and the fact that the EB approach is a straightaway, not a
                curve, so I could see farther ahead and got the "NEXT RIGHT" one.

                - I've been spoiled by construction zones in northeasternmost Ohio on
                I-90. When traffic in one direction shares the other direction's
                pavement, the shoulders are repaved and restriped as travel lanes,
                with signs "RIGHT LANE MUST USE SHOULDER". Projects on the Indiana
                Toll Road do it the old-fashioned way, one lane per direction. The
                reason is apparent when reaching the original overpasses: The
                shoulders virtually disappear.

                - Also construction-related: Some states now use "END ROAD WORK"
                instead of "END CONSTRUCTION", presumedly because the sign is
                narrower, and therefore cheaper to produce. Indiana still uses "END
                CONSTRUCTION", but it's now in a narrower typeface, so the sign comes
                out just as narrow anyway....

                - One for the "Same city name, same highway, different state" thread
                on m.t.r: Fremont is a primary destination on I-80/90 in Ohio at SR-
                53, and a secondary one in Indiana at I-69/SR-120/SR-127.

                - I've never mentioned the diamond warning signs at the Toll Road
                eastern toll booth: It's a "road narrows" sign, but both sides widen,
                and dashes are put in the middle to designate lanes (not the exact
                amount, but a generalization). Approaching the booth this sign is
                posted upside down, as appropriate.

                Ohio:

                In the dining room of the Burger King on SR-49 at I-80/90, there are
                four side-by-side clocks, one each for Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and
                Illinois. (Search the archives for the Indiana DST situation, I'm
                not going to rehash it here)

                ____

                August 6 from I-94 at Michigan Exit 39 (Millburg/Coloma):

                Route: I-94 EB to US-23 SB (part with I-475) to I-90 (via Dussel
                Drive/US-20) (part with I-80) to I-490 WB to I-77 NB to I-90 EB

                Michigan:

                - Just east of M-140 (Exit 41) on I-94, there used to be a
                destination sign in both miles and kilometers. It's been replaced
                with an ordinary miles-only one.

                - The "Wake up!"-type shoulder rumble strips on I-94 have a short
                intermittent section which goes all the way to the outside edge of
                the pavement. The rest (about 3 lengths per 1 length of the other)
                is ordinary, stopping well short of the pavement edge.

                - The Exit 108 (I-69) "gore" sign is, and has been for a while,
                actually attached to an overpass.

                - A construction sign at the M-199 exit northwest of Albion
                identifies M-199 as "HWY 199". This is the first time I've seen an
                MDOT sign identifying an "M" highway without the "M", even with
                something like "Highway M-xx". Out-of-state contractor, perhaps?

                - All of the diamonds for M-routes on I-94's BGSs that I saw are
                elongated, contrary to what I reported last year. It must be only
                the M-139 shields on US-31
                http://www.roadfan.com/meiex15a.jpg (etc.)
                that I've seen that are right-angle (plus of course the ones on the
                Indiana Toll Road, see above).

                - One BGS east of Battle Creek identifies in its exit tab "EXITS 104-
                103" like an "A-B" (or in this case a "B-A") situation. Looking at
                the interchanges, that's the right call.
                http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.299373,-
                85.083125&spn=0.005337,0.010987
                (104 is 11 Mile Road, 103 is I-94 BL/M-96 WB)

                - The pavement markings in handicapped spaces in the I-94 EB rest
                area near Jackson (and presumedly elsewhere in the state) are
                actually mats affixed to the pavement.

                > - Visited the MDOT Coloma Transportation Service Center near
                > I-196/US-31 Exit 1 (Red Arrow Highway, old US-12, ancient US-12/31).
                > Asked what I could get. Was told it was a business office. The
                nice
                > but bewildered employee appeased me with a couple MDOT '05's and a
                > couple "Paving the Way 2005" construction brochures. :)

                In contrast, the Jackson TSC on M-106 is identified outright on I-94
                as an official tourist information center.

                - Emergency I-94 ( http://www.roadfan.com/michrdph.html#ei94 ) exists
                past Jackson, almost to Ann Arbor. That's well past most places that
                are affected by [Great] lake-effect snow events.

                - Have the exits on both sides of M-52 always been identified as "Old
                US - 12"? It IS former US-12 of course, but IIRC the signs have not
                identified it as such in the past.

                - There are rectangular "SLOW TRAFFIC ENTERING AHEAD" warning signs
                around Ann Arbor just before merge signs. I'd expect one before the
                onramp to I-94 EB at the west end of Ann Arbor's I-94 BL (and there
                is one, with flashing yellow lights above), but I also saw them at
                State St. There also was one near Jackson. (In addition, the
                Indiana Toll Road had yellow diamond signs with similar messages at
                the onramps from the truck-only parking areas, former service areas,
                just east of the US-131/SR-13 exit.)

                > - Clearview sightings: "Lake Michigan College/South Haven" on
                > I-196/US-31 approaching Phoenix Road (the north end of South Haven's
                > I-196 BL, Exit 20). NB the "South Haven/Next 3 Exits" might also
                be,
                > but I couldn't tell for sure.

                More: The Willow Road overpass sign on US-23 SB (but not NB) just
                north of Milan.

                - It looked like the abandoned temporary route of US-23 in Milan was
                gone.
                http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=12&Z=17&X=348&Y=5829&W=3
                (Look just east of the SB onramp, flip over to the topo map for more
                context)

                - The single SB onramp only south of M-50 gets me every time.
                http://www.mdot.state.mi.us/TandS/Miars/PDFs/58023015.pdf
                This is a complement to a NB only one further north.
                http://www.mdot.state.mi.us/TandS/Miars/PDFs/58023016.pdf
                http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.299373,-
                85.083125&spn=0.005337,0.010987 (scroll up)

                - Overpasses on US-23 in this area have a blue rubbery stripe running
                alomg the outsides of the bottoms of the bridge rails.

                Ohio:

                - Lots of new BGSs on the I-475/US-23 section. The BGS for US-23 NB
                approaching the I-475/US-23 stack now has "LEFT" (actually more
                straight ahead) in black-on-yellow withing the green field (in Ohio
                this has only been capitalized in white). The SR-2 BGSs gave the
                airplane symbol for the Toledo Express Airport equal billing as the
                SR-2 shield:

                "{2}[Large airplane symbol]
                Airport Hwy"

                And, oh, yeah, more large-letter-first cardinal directions.

                - The I-475/US-23 SB ramps at SR-2 have the same signal cycle as both
                sides of the SR-2/306 interchange in Mentor: There are two offramps
                and one onramp, with one cycle for the offramps and a left arrow for
                the onramp, and the other for through traffic on the cross road. If
                the left is permissive (yield on green ball) and right turn on red is
                allowed from the ramps, this is an efficient cycle.

                > - I-280/SR-420 interchange: Just before the interchange WB, there
                used
                > to be a sign directing travellers "TO {75} NORTH / Detroit",
                stemming
                > from the fact that the I-75 interchange on the Turnpike is a recent
                > addition, plus, even with the I-75 interchange, I-280 is usually a
                good
                > cut-off. Now, for whatever reason, likely because of the I-280
                > construction over the Maumee River in Toledo (construction of a
                > cable-stayed bridge to replace the existing drawbridge
                > http://www.lookuptoledo.org/ ), the legend has been changed to "TO
                > [420] SOUTH / Stony Ridge". Unfortunately, that's deceptive, as the
                > road south at the exit *is* SR-420.

                As noted in a reply on GLR, EB has I-280 as the only route on the
                main signs, with SR-420 as a supplement (even though both meet the
                Turnpike there), and WB's signs are in a storage yard waiting to be
                installed.

                > Also, traffic entering the
                > Turnpike WB had been routed onto the new exit ramps, just east of
                the
                > old ones, but WB exiting traffic still used the old ramps. The new
                > entrance ramp went behind the old ramps before merging with the
                > mainline, a configuration that looked like it could be permanent
                > (although I'm not sure it will be since I've never seen maps of the
                > final configuration).

                Looking at it again, the new ramps may be a simple trunpet after
                all. It's just that the jughandle/loop pair to/from the WB lanes
                will be in the northwest corner of the potential new trumpet, while
                the original trumpet has them in the northeast, or IOW the new ramps
                will go where the old ones are already, so they have to work around
                both sets.

                - The I-90 (Exit 142) toll both is undergoing major renovations
                http://www.ohioturnpike.org/alert.html and
                http://tinyurl.com/bgpzc or
                http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1123061
                569160110.xml&coll=2
                "Turnpike exit a real time killer" (8/3/05)
                but there was no delay since detour signage was all over the place
                (there was a signed I-90 detour but the BGS only said "CONSTRUCTION",
                not "CLOSED", and the booth was open).

                - The dogleg in Cleveland was due to I-90 being closed at the
                Innerbelt Bridge.
                http://www.dot.state.oh.us/dist12/Newsroom/ww7.htm

                [I accidentally erased most of this once, let's see if I can get the
                rewrite posted]

                Marc