Trip Report: Cleveland

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20 10:05 AM
      Another roadgeek meeting has come and gone, and another awesome time
      was had by all. First of all, thanks to Jeff Kitsko for organizing
      the Cleveland Meeting that took place yesterday afternoon.
      Following are the details. The starting/ending point for the route
      is Toledo, since that was the meeting point for the MI/NW OH
      contingent.

      I. ROUTE:

      Toledo --> Cleveland: OH 2 EB to US 6 EB (@ Huron) to OH 61 SB to OH
      2 EB to I-90 EB to US 42 NB

      Cleveland --> Toledo: E 9th SB to US 422 EB/OH 8 SB to E 55th SB to
      I-490 WB to I-90 WB to OH 252 NB to US 6 WB to OH 61 SB to OH 2 WB
      to US 250 EB to OH 113 WB to US 20 WB to OH 51 NB.

      II. NOTES:

      The meeting was great. We met up with Jeff & company at the Rock
      Bottom, located along the banks of the Cuyahoga in the Flats
      district, between the US 6/20/42 and OH 2 bridges. The MI/NW OH
      contingent included myself, Sean Lyons, Adrian Leskiw, and Brian
      Reynolds. (Thanks again for the ride, Brian!) Coming in from NYS
      were Doug Kerr and Mark Sinsabaugh. Also attending were Brian
      Powell, who, IIRC, is a Cleveland-area-turned-Morgantown native;
      Pete Jenior, who made the trek in from Cincy, and current Cleveland
      area resident Marc Fannin.

      The various viewpoints of, and sounds eminating from, Dead Man's
      Curve (I-90 @ OH 2, Exit 174) were remarkable. If you are standing
      outside in that vicinity, what you will here are the symphonic
      sounds of dozens and dozens of cars flying over rumble strips, which
      are placed to get drivers to slow down to the advisory speed of 35.

      Much of the signage along I-90/OH 2 through the NE suburbs of
      Cleveland has been replaced with newer, reflective signs, featuring
      the directions with first letter larger than the rest. Even the
      directional plates above the I-90 & OH 2 through there reflect this
      newer trend in the Buckeye State. Oddly, at the OH 2 interchange, I-
      90 is marked as I-90 EAST/I-271 SOUTH, as opposed to I-90 EAST TO I-
      271 SOUTH.

      The I-271 Express/Local configuration is rather cool. The median
      separating opposing directions is a Jersey Barrier, but the median
      between like directions on either side is grassy.

      I-480's twin spans of the Cuyahoga are remarkable. We rode down to
      Valley View to see the surrounding area, and it was very
      impressive. It looks like I-480's overpasses are a good 100+ feel
      into the air, so repainting them a couple of years ago had to be
      quite a task. There were some rather high billboards alongside the
      bridges for good measure, too.

      On the way back, we took US 6 from Rocky River all the way along the
      Lake Erie shore over, through Lorain & Vermilion before heading on
      toward Sandusky. It's a 35 mph speed limit for most of that
      stretch, so it is a slow go, but it is very scenic, and does at
      least move. If you have some time & you're traveling that way, I'd
      suggest that route.

      Interestingly, the stretch of OH 2 through Erie County is now named
      for what appears to be named for a former Miss America. I forgot
      the name now, but I'll be heading to Cedar Point on Tuesday, so I'll
      check it out then.

      US 250 was widened to 5 lanes from 2 from south of OH 2 to north of
      the Ohio Turnpike (I-80/90) a couple of years ago. Not much traffic
      on it on a Saturday at around 6:30 PM, but I'm sure it does help
      Cedar Point traffic move a little bit faster inbound in the morning
      & outbound later in the evening compared to the way it was prior to
      widening.

      Finally, there is repaving going on along the Fremont by-pass (US 20
      in particular on both sides of Fremont).

      All in all, it was an awesome Saturday. The weather couldn't have
      been more cooperative, either. Thanks again to Jeff for organizing
      the event!

      Dan
    • Marc Fannin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21 12:20 PM
        --- "Dan" <greatlakesroads@m...> wrote:

        > I-480's twin spans of the Cuyahoga are remarkable. We rode down to
        > Valley View to see the surrounding area, and it was very
        > impressive. It looks like I-480's overpasses are a good 100+ feel
        > into the air

        212 feet according to
        http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/i480.html#480oh

        > so repainting them a couple of years ago had to be
        > quite a task. There were some rather high billboards alongside the
        > bridges for good measure, too.

        Some photos from 1999
        http://www.roadfan.com/clover.html (1/3 of the way down)
        Also includes one of the current bridge color.

        > Interestingly, the stretch of OH 2 through Erie County is now named
        > for what appears to be named for a former Miss America.

        Jackie Mayer, Miss America 1963. According to an article in the
        _Sandusky Register_ from a year or two ago, the highway was
        unofficially dedicated in her honor then, but only officially
        recognized in April 2002 (enacted August 2002).
        http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=124_HB_149
        (For dates click "Bill Analyses" then "Final Analysis")

        Marc