MI: no more M-168

  • Patrick Allen
    Message 1 of 12 , May 7, 2012
      As of April 24th, there is one less M route:

      "Contract Number 2012-0366

      Effective date of transfer: April 24, 2012

      Roadway segment transferred from MDOT to the Village of Elberta, becoming a City Major Street:

      M-168/Frankfort Avenue/Furnace Street, from the centerline of M-22/Frankfort Avenue/Lake Street, northwesterly to the western terminus of M-168, a distance of about 0.95 miles in control section 10021, comprising the entirety of M-168."

      Just FYI, for those interested. -Patrick

      P.S. I understand that the 2012 MDOT Map is complete, and I was told that it should be out before Memorial Day. It will be interesting to see if M-168 is still shown on the new map.
    • Barry L. Camp
      Message 2 of 12 , May 7, 2012
        Bummer... but we've known it was coming.

        > Effective date of transfer:  April 24, 2012
        >
        > Roadway segment transferred from MDOT to the Village of
        > Elberta, becoming a City Major Street:
        >
        > M-168/Frankfort Avenue/Furnace Street, from the centerline
        > of M-22/Frankfort Avenue/Lake Street, northwesterly to the
        > western terminus of M-168, a distance of about 0.95 miles in
        > control section 10021, comprising the entirety of M-168."
        >
        > Just FYI, for those interested.  -Patrick
        >
        > P.S. I understand that the 2012 MDOT Map is complete, and I
        > was told that it should be out before Memorial Day.  It
        > will be interesting to see if M-168 is still shown on the
        > new map.

        >     greatlakesroads-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • up_north76
        Message 3 of 12 , May 17, 2012
          The 2012 MDOT PDF Map online still shows M-168. Going to order some copies now.

          David

          --- In greatlakesroads@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Allen" <patallen2@...> wrote:

          > As of April 24th, there is one less M route:
          >
          > "Contract Number 2012-0366
          >
          > Effective date of transfer: April 24, 2012
          >
          > Roadway segment transferred from MDOT to the Village of Elberta, becoming a City Major Street:
          >
          > M-168/Frankfort Avenue/Furnace Street, from the centerline of M-22/Frankfort Avenue/Lake Street, northwesterly to the western terminus of M-168, a distance of about 0.95 miles in control section 10021, comprising the entirety of M-168."
          >
          > Just FYI, for those interested. -Patrick
          >
          > P.S. I understand that the 2012 MDOT Map is complete, and I was told that it should be out before Memorial Day. It will be interesting to see if M-168 is still shown on the new map.

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 12 , May 24, 2012
            Mine arrived in the mail, today, and was going to let the membership know, but you beat me to it.

            --- In greatlakesroads@yahoogroups.com, "up_north76" <up_north76@...> wrote:

            > The 2012 MDOT PDF Map online still shows M-168. Going to order some copies now.
            >
            > David
            >
            > --- In greatlakesroads@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Allen" <patallen2@> wrote:
            > >
            > > As of April 24th, there is one less M route:
            > >
            > > "Contract Number 2012-0366
            > >
            > > Effective date of transfer: April 24, 2012
            > >
            > > Roadway segment transferred from MDOT to the Village of Elberta, becoming a City Major Street:
            > >
            > > M-168/Frankfort Avenue/Furnace Street, from the centerline of M-22/Frankfort Avenue/Lake Street, northwesterly to the western terminus of M-168, a distance of about 0.95 miles in control section 10021, comprising the entirety of M-168."
            > >
            > > Just FYI, for those interested. -Patrick
            > >
            > > P.S. I understand that the 2012 MDOT Map is complete, and I was told that it should be out before Memorial Day. It will be interesting to see if M-168 is still shown on the new map.

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 12 , May 24, 2012
              On May 24, 2012, at 3:16 PM, Tom wrote:

[...]

              Which wouldn't exactly be wrong, per se. If we assume that the maps are supposed to reflect the condition of the system when they're nominally printed, say as of the first of the year, M-168 was still a state highway at that time. That also assumes that the office that prepares the map is updated on any jurisdictional changes in time to make the edition they're preparing. (M-108 was turned back on December 9, 2010, and yet it still appeared on the 2011 map; that might not have been enough lead time to make the 2011 edition.)

              --
              Michael P. Gronseth
              Negaunee, MI

            • Patrick Allen
              Message 6 of 12 , May 26, 2012
                --- In greatlakesroads@yahoogroups.com, Michael <bulldog1979@...> wrote:

                Although there have been some recent personnel changes in MDOT Mapping & Graphics, they do receive notification of jurisdictional transfers from the source. I also contacted them to see if there was still time to get it off the map, but it was too late. M-168 should be removed from the 2012 MDOT Truck Operators Map though, as that is just going to print now.

                Despite the timing of the actual transfer, the M-168 markers have been gone for some time now, so I thought that perhaps that M-168 may have been removed from the 2012 map simply because it was no longer signed, but that was not the case.

                Also, of note. While in the past they would have removed M-168 from the Internet version of the map, I heard that someone of importance wants the Internet version to match the printed version, so it will probably not be removed on the Internet version either.

                Just FYI. -Patrick

                <snip>

                > Which wouldn't exactly be wrong, per se. If we assume that the maps are supposed to reflect the condition of the system when they're nominally printed, say as of the first of the year, M-168 was still a state highway at that time. That also assumes that the office that prepares the map is updated on any jurisdictional changes in time to make the edition they're preparing. (M-108 was turned back on December 9, 2010, and yet it still appeared on the 2011 map; that might not have been enough lead time to make the 2011 edition.)
                >
                > --
                > Michael P. Gronseth
                > Negaunee, MI

              • Tom
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 22, 2012
                  The pattern in recent years is to decommission highways only a few miles long (i.e. M-110, M-108, M-168, M-209). What's next. M-201 in Northport?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 22, 2012
                    I would think M-212 would come long before that.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 23, 2012
                      Hmmmm. Wouldn't that give M-201 the distinguished honor of Michigan's shortest state highway?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 23, 2012

                        On Jun 22, 2012, at 9:22 PM, Barry L. Camp wrote:

                        I would think M-212 would come long before that.

                        Actually, I'd bet that M-201 is less useful than M-212. The former doesn't connect to the state park (never has, TMK) while the latter does. Of course, the transfer of either would depend on the willingness of Leelanau County or Cheboygan County to accept the respective trunkline.

                        --
                        Michael P. Gronseth
                        Negaunee, MI

                      • Michael
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 23, 2012

                          On Jun 23, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Tom wrote:

                          Hmmmm.  Wouldn't that give M-201 the distinguished honor of Michigan's shortest state highway?

                          No, the next shortest signed state highway at M-212 is BUS M-32. That is 0.738 miles while M-201 is 1.560 miles. The shortest state highway designation is still BS I-375 at 0.167 miles.
                          --
                          Michael P. Gronseth
                          Negaunee, MI

                        • Patrick Allen
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 26, 2012
                            Actually, I have heard of there being conversations and analysis, perhaps even an inquiry or two by the village, regarding a potential turnback of M-201 to the Village of Northport. However, with the moratorium on most trunkline jurisdictional transfers still in place, I would not expect a turnback in the near future.

                            I have never heard any discussions or rumors regarding a possible turnback of M-212.

                            -Patrick