MI: Jurisdictional Transfer in Niles

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2010
      The long awaited jurisdictional transfer in Niles is complete, effective March 5, 2010. Here is an excerpt from the Memorandum of Understanding:

      "Contract Number 2010-0086
      Effective date of transfer: March 5, 2010

      Roadway segment Transferred from MDOT to the City of Niles, becoming a City Major street:

      US-12 Business Route (BR)/Main Street, from the centerline of Old US-31/Front Street easterly to the centerline of M-51/North Fifth Street, a distance of approximately 0.24 miles, in control section 11041."

      I do not currently have any info regarding the planned timing of the associated route signing changes that will remove the US-12BR signing and extend M-139 to the south. If I hear anything, I will pass it along.

      Anyway, for those interested. -Patrick
    • Barry L. Camp
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2010

        It would seem that those changes would have to have been made also, otherwise we have some really weird stubbed routings all over Niles.

        Seems like this town needs to change it's slogan:

        Niles - City of Four Flags - City of 100 Highway Changes.

        Goodness...

        The long awaited jurisdictional transfer in Niles is complete, effective March 5, 2010.  Here is an excerpt from the Memorandum of Understanding:

        "Contract Number 2010-0086
        Effective date of transfer:  March 5, 2010

        Roadway segment Transferred from MDOT to the City of Niles, becoming a City Major street:

        US-12 Business Route (BR)/Main Street, from the centerline of Old US-31/Front Street easterly to the centerline of M-51/North Fifth Street, a distance of approximately 0.24 miles, in control section 11041."

        I do not currently have any info regarding the planned timing of the associated route signing changes that will remove the US-12BR signing and extend M-139 to the south.  If I hear anything, I will pass it along.

        Anyway, for those interested.  -Patrick

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            greatlakesroads-digest@yahoogroups.com
            greatlakesroads-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • mapsax
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2010
          --- ..."Barry L. Camp"...wrote:

          > From: Patrick <patallen2@...>
          >
          > > The long awaited jurisdictional transfer in Niles is complete,
          > > effective March 5, 2010. Here is an excerpt from the Memorandum
          > > of Understanding:
          > >
          > > "Contract Number 2010-0086
          > > Effective date of transfer: March 5, 2010
          > >
          > > Roadway segment Transferred from MDOT to the City of Niles,
          > > becoming a City Major street:
          > >
          > > US-12 Business Route (BR)/Main Street, from the centerline of Old
          > > US-31/Front Street easterly to the centerline of M-51/North Fifth
          > > Street, a distance of approximately 0.24 miles, in control
          > > section 11041."

          'Bout time.

          I found a reference to the contract from last month on the MDOT website:

          http://www.michigan.gov/documents/buymichiganfirst/02_16_2010_sab_mins_FULL_SET_311340_7.pdf
          (page 55 of 182)

          Something weird to come out of the delayed change: The Berrien County Road Commission official map. As noted in Message 14160, the map published in October 2008 showed the changes already, even though as late as October of this past year, by my personal observations on my roadtrip, signage still remained as it had since 1998 except for US-31 Business markers having been removed from Walton Road (connection between US-31 Exit 7 and the old route/Old US-31/US-31 BR). When the next map came out this past December, obviously the transfer still hadn't been made, so they had to do some finagling:

          http://www.bcroad.org/Berrien%20County%20Map.pdf

          This presented a rare instance on a BCRC map: An inaccuracy. Note that the M-139 shield southwest of downtown was replaced by M-BR-12. I assume that this was due to them knowing that they'd have to change it back to M-139 eventually, so they left the diamond marker in place and only will have to redo the legend.

          Also, rather than restoring the US-31 BR marker, they simply extended the "Old US-31" labeling southward to M-BR-12, er, US-12 BR. I'm not sure that this is an indication that they ripped out the US-31 BR markers in the short time between October when I was there and December when the map was published; rather I think it was the combination of not having to mess with the US-31 BR marker added to the fact that IIRC MDOT has referred to that section of US-31 BR as "Old US-31" just like the section from Walton Road through Berrien Springs to US-31 Exit 15 at least since the section of US-31 BR along Walton Road was turned over to Berrien County, if not longer, even as it was signposted as US-31 BR.

          (Nothing about the change in the local media...yet....)

          > It would seem that those changes would have to have been made also,
          > otherwise we have some really weird stubbed routings all over Niles.

          We have had really weird stubbed routes already, with the US-31 Business spur route from US-12 Business in downtown Niles to Walton Road, paralleling US-31 but not coming near access to it. Nothing would surprise me now. Remember that when the US-31 freeway from Exit 15 to Exit 24 opened in 2003, for a short time the old route was US-31 SB and M-139 NB in places because some signs weren't changed in time.

          Marc
        • wanderer2575
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2010
            --- In greatlakesroads@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick" <patallen2@...> wrote:

            > The long awaited jurisdictional transfer in Niles is complete, effective March 5, 2010. Here is an excerpt from the Memorandum of Understanding:
            >
            > "Contract Number 2010-0086
            > Effective date of transfer: March 5, 2010
            >
            > Roadway segment Transferred from MDOT to the City of Niles, becoming a City Major street:
            >
            > US-12 Business Route (BR)/Main Street, from the centerline of Old US-31/Front Street easterly to the centerline of M-51/North Fifth Street, a distance of approximately 0.24 miles, in control section 11041."
            >
            > I do not currently have any info regarding the planned timing of the associated route signing changes that will remove the US-12BR signing and extend M-139 to the south. If I hear anything, I will pass it along.
            >
            > Anyway, for those interested. -Patrick

            Does it seem like an awfully weird coincidence that the routing of the planned M-139 extension is the same as the routing of the M-37 extension in Battle Creek? In both cases, the route comes southeasterly into town, then the extension turns southwesterly to its terminus. Just doesn't seem to make sense. (I ignore the unnecessary duplexing of routes in Battle Creek in this discussion.) I guess there's no getting around it in this case since it will result in a single-route connection between Benton Harbor and Niles (as opposed to extending M-140 instead of M-139), but somehow you're left feeling like you wish there was a way the routing could have worked out better.

            Howard I. Goldman
          • Barry L. Camp
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2010

              The weird routings in Niles don't concern me quite as much, as I'm sure in another 10 years or so, they'll change again.  :D

              Seriously, I would hope there's a change of heart long-term with relation to the trunkline gap downtown.

              As for Battle Creek, I understand why M-37 was connected to I-94, AND for it's original Rationalization routing; but the current useless multiplex is still...  useless.

              Now that M-96 has been extended, I would pull back M-37 to end there, at the airport.

            • mapsax
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6 6:16 PM
                --- ..."Patrick"...wrote:

                > The long awaited jurisdictional transfer in Niles is complete,
                > effective March 5, 2010.

                From http://www.theh-p.com/articles/2010/04/06/local_news/1328179.txt

                "NILES - The Michigan Department of Transportation has scheduled a public open house from 3 to 6 p.m. Thursday to provide information about the planned resurfacing of a section of the U.S. 12 Business Route in Niles. [snip] The $276,800 project, scheduled to start around April 19, involves repaving a 0.6-mile section of the U.S. 12 Business Route between the Grant Street-Lincoln Avenue intersection and the St. Joseph River. [snip]"

                I don't know whether that's a quote from MDOT or the newspaper's interpretation of the info (nothing yet at the press releases for April
                http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-9620_11057---M_2010_4,00.html or at http://twitter.com/michigandot ) but the route number used in the blurb is telling: This is along the section which is supposed to be M-139 now, so at the least it seems that we can figure that the markers haven't been changed over yet....

                Marc