official 2008 MDOT map

  • Patrick Allen
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2007
      Spoiler alert - stop reading now if you want to discover any changes
      on the soon-to-be-released 2008 MDOT map as you open your own copy.

      Anyway, I was able to review a draft of the 2008 MDOT map today,
      and there are a couple of things of interest to (probably no one
      in the whole world except) some in this group, including myself.

      The diamond state route shields are back. I know that there are
      some mixed feelings out there, but personally I like the diamonds.
      I had actually heard some rumors about the diamonds, but I was
      totally caught by surprise by the next one ... the numbered county
      routes are in pentagons. The letter is still above the number for
      the county routes, as before, but the pentagons have replaced the squares.

      As far as the map itself, the look and size are pretty much the
      same as last year. I kind of expected to possibly see some
      significant changes to the layout and the overall set of info
      displayed after all the attention surrounding that recent survey
      MDOT conducted ... maybe they have some plans for some other big
      layout changes down the road.

      All the route updates that should be there appear to be reflected.
      The only surprise I saw was that Old M-21 in Ottawa County was
      shown as M-121. I was just out there a few weeks ago, and there
      were no route shields at that time, but after we saw the M-121 on
      the map, a co-worker contacted someone in the Grand Region who
      confirmed that M-121 signs are imminent and that some may have
      even been erected already. So, if you are in the area, keep your
      eye out for the new M-121.

      -Patrick
    • Ray Roney
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2007
        And where do we find these wonderful printed pieces? :)

        thanks

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2007
          --- "Patrick Allen" <patallen2@...> wrote:

          > Spoiler alert - stop reading now if you want to discover any
          > changes on the soon-to-be-released 2008 MDOT map as you open your
          > own copy.

          Spoiler retained

          > All the route updates that should be there appear to be reflected.
          > The only surprise I saw was that Old M-21 in Ottawa County was
          > shown as M-121. I was just out there a few weeks ago, and there
          > were no route shields at that time, but after we saw the M-121 on
          > the map, a co-worker contacted someone in the Grand Region who
          > confirmed that M-121 signs are imminent and that some may have
          > even been erected already. So, if you are in the area, keep your
          > eye out for the new M-121.

          I found this on the MDOT site:

          "• M-121 (Chicago Drive): This corridor was recently renamed M-121
          and as part of an overall improvement strategy, a section from Main
          Street in Jenison to the east Hudsonville city limit was resurfaced.
          An access management study was also started for the corridor from I-
          196 in Jenison to I-196BR near Zeeland."

          http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MDOT_5_year_Plan_Grand_143124_7.pdf

          The Wikipedia entry has been updated accordingly :)

          I'm not even going to ask about US-31 BR Niles, since that wasn't
          portrayed correctly before....

          Marc
        • David S.
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2007
            Yes!!! The Diamonds are back!!! When I did the MDOT survey I did
            mention that I'd like to see the diamonds come back.

            --- In greatlakesroads@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Allen"
            <patallen2@...> wrote:

            > Spoiler alert - stop reading now if you want to discover any
            changes
            > on the soon-to-be-released 2008 MDOT map as you open your own copy.
            >
            > Anyway, I was able to review a draft of the 2008 MDOT map today,
            > and there are a couple of things of interest to (probably no one
            > in the whole world except) some in this group, including myself.
            >
            > The diamond state route shields are back. I know that there are
            > some mixed feelings out there, but personally I like the diamonds.
            > I had actually heard some rumors about the diamonds, but I was
            > totally caught by surprise by the next one ... the numbered county
            > routes are in pentagons. The letter is still above the number for
            > the county routes, as before, but the pentagons have replaced the
            squares.

            > As far as the map itself, the look and size are pretty much the
            > same as last year. I kind of expected to possibly see some
            > significant changes to the layout and the overall set of info
            > displayed after all the attention surrounding that recent survey
            > MDOT conducted ... maybe they have some plans for some other big
            > layout changes down the road.
            >
            > All the route updates that should be there appear to be reflected.
            > The only surprise I saw was that Old M-21 in Ottawa County was
            > shown as M-121. I was just out there a few weeks ago, and there
            > were no route shields at that time, but after we saw the M-121 on
            > the map, a co-worker contacted someone in the Grand Region who
            > confirmed that M-121 signs are imminent and that some may have
            > even been erected already. So, if you are in the area, keep your
            > eye out for the new M-121.
            >
            > -Patrick

          • Patrick Allen
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 8, 2007
              I understand that MDOT is shooting to get the 2008 map out
              early next year. They will be available at Welcome Centers
              and via the MDOT website, once they are printed and released.
              If I hear a specific date for release, I'll pass it along.