MI - I-96BS Portland is no more

  • Patrick Allen
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
      Effective October 31, 2007, I-96BS in Portland was turned back to
      the City of Portland. The description is as follows:

      "ROADWAY SEGMENT transferred from MDOT to the CITY, becoming a
      City Major Street:

      I-96 Business Spur/Grand River Avenue, from the northern terminus
      of the I-96 Business Spur at the centerline of Kent Street,
      southeasterly to the southern terminus of the I-96 Business Spur
      at the eastbound I-96 exit ramp, a distance of approximately 1.29
      miles, in control section 34032."

      For anyone who might be interested. -Patrick
    • Barry L. Camp
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
        --- Patrick Allen <patallen2@...> wrote:

        > Effective October 31, 2007, I-96BS in Portland was turned back to
        > the City of Portland. The description is as follows:
        >
        > "ROADWAY SEGMENT transferred from MDOT to the CITY, becoming a
        > City Major Street:
        >
        > I-96 Business Spur/Grand River Avenue, from the northern terminus
        > of the I-96 Business Spur at the centerline of Kent Street,
        > southeasterly to the southern terminus of the I-96 Business Spur
        > at the eastbound I-96 exit ramp, a distance of approximately 1.29
        > miles, in control section 34032."
        >
        > For anyone who might be interested. -Patrick

        Well, there won't be many signs to remove or replace.

        There was only a single assurance marker and a shield-"ENDS" sign at
        each endpoint. The larger issue is removing/replacing the BGSs on the
        parent highway in each direction.

        This stretch is ready for a sign upgrading anyway, so I imagine these
        won't last long. I guess I better get my camera ready.

        Thanks as always, Patrick, for these quick updates, "from the inside".
        :)

        Barry L. Camp

        In theory there is no difference between theory
        and practice, but in practice there is.
        - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
          On 2 Nov 2007, at 10:54 AM, Patrick Allen wrote:

          Effective October 31, 2007, I-96BS in Portland was turned back to
          the City of Portland.  The description is as follows:

          "ROADWAY SEGMENT transferred from MDOT to the CITY, becoming a
          City Major Street:

          I-96 Business Spur/Grand River Avenue, from the northern terminus
          of the I-96 Business Spur at the centerline of Kent Street,
          southeasterly to the southern terminus of the I-96 Business Spur
          at the eastbound I-96 exit ramp, a distance of approximately 1.29
          miles, in control section 34032."

          For anyone who might be interested.  -Patrick

          Any link to the press release online yet?

          --
          Michael P. Gronseth
          Traverse City, MI

        • Dennis Cole
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
            --- In greatlakesroads@yahoogroups.com, "Barry L. Camp" <blcamp@...>
            wrote:

            > --- Patrick Allen <patallen2@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Effective October 31, 2007, I-96BS in Portland was turned back to
            > > the City of Portland. The description is as follows:
            > >
            > > "ROADWAY SEGMENT transferred from MDOT to the CITY, becoming a
            > > City Major Street:
            > >
            > > I-96 Business Spur/Grand River Avenue, from the northern terminus
            > > of the I-96 Business Spur at the centerline of Kent Street,
            > > southeasterly to the southern terminus of the I-96 Business Spur
            > > at the eastbound I-96 exit ramp, a distance of approximately 1.29
            > > miles, in control section 34032."
            > >
            > > For anyone who might be interested. -Patrick
            > >

            > Well, there won't be many signs to remove or replace.
            >
            > There was only a single assurance marker and a shield-"ENDS" sign at
            > each endpoint. The larger issue is removing/replacing the BGSs on
            the
            > parent highway in each direction.
            >
            > This stretch is ready for a sign upgrading anyway, so I imagine
            these
            > won't last long. I guess I better get my camera ready.
            >
            > Thanks as always, Patrick, for these quick updates, "from the
            inside".
            > :)
            >

            > Barry L. Camp
            >
            > In theory there is no difference between theory
            > and practice, but in practice there is.
            > - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            And so it goes...

            Why does I-94 warrant Business Loops at every single major city it
            crosses through MI (except Detroit) but I-96 is now down to just
            Lansing and Howell? With the current state of MI's budget woes, is
            every BL & BS just a local road commission's acceptance away from
            being downloaded? Don't local communities value the additional
            signage (echoing Chris Bessert)? Does MDOT expect every traveler to
            carry city maps or GPS?

            <end of rant>

            Dennis
          • Patrick Allen
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
              --- In greatlakesroads@yahoogroups.com, Michael <bulldog1979@...> wrote:

              > On 2 Nov 2007, at 10:54 AM, Patrick Allen wrote:
              >
              > > Effective October 31, 2007, I-96BS in Portland was turned
              > > back to the City of Portland. The description is as follows:
              > >
              > > "ROADWAY SEGMENT transferred from MDOT to the CITY, becoming
              > > a City Major Street:
              > >
              > > I-96 Business Spur/Grand River Avenue, from the northern
              > > terminus of the I-96 Business Spur at the centerline of Kent
              > > Street, southeasterly to the southern terminus of the I-96
              > > Business Spur at the eastbound I-96 exit ramp, a distance of
              > > approximately 1.29 miles, in control section 34032."
              > >
              > > For anyone who might be interested. -Patrick
              >
              > Any link to the press release online yet?
              >
              > --
              > Michael P. Gronseth
              > Traverse City, MI

              I have not yet seen a press release. It seems like most
              turnbacks do not get a press release, although a signed
              route turnback like this one might. -Patrick
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
                On 2 Nov 2007, at 11:41 AM, Patrick Allen wrote:

[...]

                Any link to something from MDOt would be cool (to keep the WikiPedia articles in sync with reality).
                --
                Michael P. Gronseth
                Traverse City, MI

              • Marc Fannin
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
                  --- ...Michael <bulldog1979@...> wrote:

                  > On 2 Nov 2007, at 11:41 AM, Patrick Allen wrote:
                  >
                  > > I have not yet seen a press release. It seems like most
                  > > turnbacks do not get a press release, although a signed
                  > > route turnback like this one might. -Patrick
                  >
                  > Any link to something from MDOt would be cool (to keep the
                  > WikiPedia articles in sync with reality).

                  I mentioned this about a year ago (Message 10651), but will elaborate
                  this time around: Linking to his initial web-based message
                  http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/greatlakesroads/message/12608
                  should be sufficient.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:External_links#Links_normally_t
                  o_be_avoided states "11. Links to social networking sites (such as
                  MySpace), discussion forums/groups (such as Yahoo! Groups) or
                  USENET", but it says "one should avoid", meaning that they're not
                  outright prohibited if conditions are right, and including
                  information that Patrick is in fact an MDOT employee (such as making
                  reference to somthing like
                  http://mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi.us/public/directory/ ) should be enough.

                  Marc
                • H.I. Goldman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
                    > > > Effective October 31, 2007, I-96BS in Portland was turned back
                    > > > the City of Portland. The description is as follows:
                    > > >
                    > > > "ROADWAY SEGMENT transferred from MDOT to the CITY, becoming a
                    > > > City Major Street:
                    > > >
                    > > > I-96 Business Spur/Grand River Avenue, from the northern
                    terminus
                    > > > of the I-96 Business Spur at the centerline of Kent Street,
                    > > > southeasterly to the southern terminus of the I-96 Business
                    Spur
                    > > > at the eastbound I-96 exit ramp, a distance of approximately
                    1.29
                    > > > miles, in control section 34032."
                    > > >
                    > > > For anyone who might be interested. -Patrick
                    > > >

                    > > Well, there won't be many signs to remove or replace.
                    > >
                    > > There was only a single assurance marker and a shield-"ENDS" sign
                    at
                    > > each endpoint. The larger issue is removing/replacing the BGSs on
                    > the
                    > > parent highway in each direction.
                    > >
                    > > This stretch is ready for a sign upgrading anyway, so I imagine
                    > these
                    > > won't last long. I guess I better get my camera ready.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks as always, Patrick, for these quick updates, "from the
                    > inside".
                    > > :)

                    > And so it goes...
                    >
                    > Why does I-94 warrant Business Loops at every single major city it
                    > crosses through MI (except Detroit) but I-96 is now down to just
                    > Lansing and Howell? With the current state of MI's budget woes, is
                    > every BL & BS just a local road commission's acceptance away from
                    > being downloaded? Don't local communities value the additional
                    > signage (echoing Chris Bessert)? Does MDOT expect every traveler
                    > carry city maps or GPS?
                    >
                    > <end of rant>

                    With the exception of Portland and Fenton, I think most if not all
                    the recent business route turnbacks have been due to disputes over
                    road use (speed limits or parking issues), not budget issues. And I
                    just can't get teary-eyed over the loss of Portland and Fenton
                    because (IMO) these were pointless, short spurs. I don't understand
                    why the Portland route wasn't originally continued along Grand River
                    Avenue to hook back into I-96 at exit 73 to create a loop.

                    As for the disparity in the number of business routes along I-94 and
                    I-96, the key word in your question is "major" city. With the
                    possible exception of Brighton, I can't think of another town along I-
                    96 that would warrant a business loop. Okay, Grand Rapids, but where
                    would you route it? Along M-21/Old M-45/M-45/M-11 between exits 39
                    and 24 seems pretty good, except for the small detail of no westbound
                    exit/eastbound entrance at exit 39. Or we could eliminate M-11
                    altogether and redesignate it as BL I-96. (I'm just talking; don't
                    throw anything at me.) In Detroit, Grand River Avenue is still a
                    state trunkline (and even is designated such on the map) -- I wish
                    MDOT would surrender to the obvious and either designate it as an
                    extension of M-5 or resurrect the old BS I-96 designation.

                    Howard I. Goldman