MI: US-31BR Niles (was Re: M-139)

  • Patrick Allen
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 30, 2007
      --- In greatlakesroads@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Allen"
      <patallen2@...> wrote:

      > Yes, I first saw the M-139 shields between US-31 east of
      > Berrien Springs and I-94 in September 2003. Now, there
      > is some serious talk in the MDOT Southwest Region of extending
      > M-139 all the way down to US-12BR Niles along the old US-31
      > alignment. I will keep you all posted if I find out anything
      > firm.
      >
      > Which ties in with another post regarding US-31BR Niles. The
      > last time I was in Niles a few months ago, there were still
      > US-31BR route shields in the field, and I am not sure why this
      > route was removed from the map this time around, but I
      > understand that this route signing would be removed if M-139
      > is extended south as described above. Walton Rd would then be
      > turned back to the County, which was actually apparently
      > anticipated in the US-31 freeway construction agreements, but
      > for some reason MDOT decided to continue to hold Walton as a
      > BR after it was no longer necessary to carry traffic from
      > the end of the freeway at the time to US-31.
      >
      > -Patrick

      Effective October 23, 2007, jurisdiction of the Walton Rd
      portion of US-31BR Niles was transferred and restored to
      the Berrien County Road Commission. As I understand it, this
      segment was under MDOT jurisdiction on a "temporary" basis
      (dating back to May 28, 1980), so a traditional jurisdictional
      transfer agreement was not necessary.

      The description of the segment that MDOT temporarily assumed
      jurisdiction over and has now transferred back is:

      "Commencing on existing Walton Road at the southbound on ramp
      of State Trunkline US-31/33; thence northeasterly on existing
      Walton Road to its junction with existing US-31 at or near the
      section corner common to Section 9, 10, 15, and 16, T75, R17W,
      Niles Township, Berrien County (2.46 miles, approximately)."

      It has been my understanding that the MDOT Southwest Region has
      been waiting for this transfer to remove the US-31BR signing,
      and that the signing changes previously discussed, which would
      extend M-139 to the south along Old US-31/US-31BR, would happen
      along with the removal of all US-31BR route signing. So, keep
      your eyes peeled if you happen to be in the Niles area over the
      next few months for some potential route signing changes.

      -Patrick Allen
    • Marc Fannin
      Message 33 of 33 , Nov 5, 2007
        FWIW

        http://tinyurl.com/364r4t
        or
        southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071105/News01/71105026
        "Late road project will start Wednesday in Niles"

        "[snip]Louie Ramos, a construction delivery engineer for MDOT, said
        today that Front Street (U.S. 31 Business Route) will be milled and
        resurfaced from Sycamore Street to Michigan 140 beginning at 8:15 a.m.
        Wednesday. The work should be finished Saturday, he said.[snip]"

        Well, it seems that the local mainstream media has no idea of the
        impending change, or decided not to share it...if anything, this might
        be the last public mention of this roadway as Business US-31.

        Marc