Re: [greatlakeshikes] North Manitou Island

  • mike david
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 17, 2012
      I did both. I found the north more interesting. We went to Manitou Lake spent the night there. Then we seen a truck grave yard by the pot holes. We did not go to the pot holes. Then we made it to Crescent Dock. We spent the night there and watched the sun set on the beach. For the last night we went back to the campground, had a fire, and slept the night there.

      To me, the south just had Bourniques farm and the Cemetery.

      The last time we were at the campground we heard Coyotes going crazy.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 18, 2012
        Mike,
        I have Garmin GPS tracks I can send you that will help you with the mileage issue. We have hiked both routes around the north side of the island We enjoyed the most northern trail.  We usually hike around to the western side of the island and spend our first night there, but that is over 7 miles.  Forunately, you can camp anywhere on the island as long as you are away from the trail, water, and other hikers.  I don't remember the limitations, but for some reason 400' sticks in my mind.  There is a measuring marker right by the docks that helps you with that. So, you can break up your trip into distances that are suitable for you and your kids.  My son wants to take my grandson out there this summer and also wants to cut that first day in half.