AT '06 - Change of plans, this is our year..

  • Josh Wilkins
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
      As some of you know Amy and I have been planning our Appalachian Trail
      thru-hiker attempt for over 5 years now. I will be done with school at
      the end of April and due to an unexpected family arrival (the Ob
      cleared us for takeoff) and Amy's job writing in a contract that they
      would take her back...

      We will be leaving for a south bound hike on June 10th 2006!!!! 70 DAYS!!!

      It feels so great yet so scary to say that at the same time! I am not
      really disappointed in the change of direction from nobo to sobo,
      after much thinking we would rather have a more solo, or duo, hiking
      experience. After learning so much about the PCT we were really
      thinking about changing our plans to something that is much less over
      crowed but I think this will do the trick.

      As you all know I am a computer geek so I picked up a Treo smart phone
      today so I will be able to keep my own journal in route and upload lot
      of pictures to my trail journal when I hit a internet connection on a
      big computer.

      So more details to come. I will be email some people privately to ask
      for some quick favors or to take you up on some offers that were
      presented in the past.

      Thanks this wouldn't have happened with out GLH!

      JTW

      --
      www.simplehiker.com - vegetarianism, veganism, gourmet, big & tall
      gear, technology, lightweight, simplicity
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
        On Saturday, April 1, 2006, at 01:14 PM, Josh Wilkins wrote:

        > and due to an unexpected family arrival (the Ob
        > cleared us for takeoff)

        am I reading this right?
        er.. what does that mean?

        Let us know what we can do to support your hike!

        julie
      • Josh Wilkins
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
          > On Saturday, April 1, 2006, at 01:14 PM, Josh Wilkins wrote:

          Sorry I couldn't resist. I am a big fan of the April holidays.
        • Dick Bolton
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
            And so, what does this mean? Is the AT hike on or off, etc. . . .?

            Dick Bolton

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
              Right now it is really looking like the the second week in March 07 is
              finaly a green light for our attempt. So less then a year for putting our
              stuff into boxes, planning and saving. And we will be going north bound..

              JTW

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
                Thanks for the clarification, Josh. You had me "going" there for a bit on the hike,
                although the OB reference led to some real head-scratching . . .. So, now I have a
                whole year to rehearse cheerleading routines for your days on the AT!

                Dick Bolton

                --- In greatlakeshikes@yahoogroups.com, "Josh Wilkins" <jtwilkins@...> wrote:

                > Right now it is really looking like the the second week in March 07 is
                > finaly a green light for our attempt. So less then a year for putting our
                > stuff into boxes, planning and saving. And we will be going north bound..
                >
                > JTW
                >
                > On 4/2/06, Dick Bolton <dickbolton3@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > And so, what does this mean? Is the AT hike on or off, etc. . . .?
                > >
                > > Dick Bolton
                > >

                > > --- In greatlakeshikes@yahoogroups.com, "Josh Wilkins" <jtwilkins@>

                > > > Sorry I couldn't resist. I am a big fan of the April holidays.

                > > See a map of who's on the list: <www.frappr.com/greatlakeshikes>
                > >
                > > GreatLakesHikes Question of the Week Archives:
                > > current Q: <www.wanderingknight.org/glhqotw?getqotw=y&justquestion=y>
                > > current Q&A: <www.wanderingknight.org/glhqotw?getqotw=y>

                gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Wisconsin+trail&w2=Outdoors&w3=Great+lakes&w4=
                Snowshoeing&w5=Recreation&c=5&s=85&.sig=7JgSzmChVrq_362MifaFMQ> Great
                > > lakes<http://groups.yahoo.com/
                gads?t=ms&k=Great+lakes&w1=Wisconsin+trail&w2=Outdoors&w3=Great+lakes&w
                4=Snowshoeing&w5=Recreation&c=5&s=85&.sig=3OyxsJmxMk6Q1OImYEoYGw>
                > > Snowshoeing<http://groups.yahoo.com/
                gads?t=ms&k=Snowshoeing&w1=Wisconsin+trail&w2=Outdoors&w3=Great+lakes&
                w4=Snowshoeing&w5=Recreation&c=5&s=85&.sig=MQh5LZN8vLQOJJbGgAfrPw>
                > > Recreation<http://groups.yahoo.com/
                gads?t=ms&k=Recreation&w1=Wisconsin+trail&w2=Outdoors&w3=Great+lakes&w4
                =Snowshoeing&w5=Recreation&c=5&s=85&.sig=CyCOLvKhcAKH2HGbb5lNWQ>

                > > ------------------------------
                > >

                > --
                > www.simplehiker.com - vegetarianism, veganism, gourmet, big & tall gear,
                > technology, lightweight, simplicity

              • emmytys
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > > On Saturday, April 1, 2006, at 01:14 PM, Josh Wilkins wrote:
                  > >

                  > Sorry I couldn't resist. I am a big fan of the April holidays.

                  Josh,
                  I can't wait to see you, and kick your a..
                  Had me jumping around like a mad woman, it even scared poor Keila from
                  under the desk. Boy, you are geting ALL meat goodies care package
                  from me, when you get on the AT next year.
                • emmytys
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006
                    wrote:

                    > > On Saturday, April 1, 2006, at 01:14 PM, Josh Wilkins wrote:
                    > >

                    > Sorry I couldn't resist. I am a big fan of the April holidays.

                    Josh,
                    I can't wait to see you, and kick your a..
                    Had me jump from my seat like a mad woman, even scared poor Keila from
                    under the desk. Just wait for payback.. ALL meat goodies in a care
                    package when you get on the AT in 2007..