Re: intro

  • Ben Swain
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 1999
      I have to agree. In many places hunting is an important part of
      convervation. Many of the natural preditors (wolves, etc) have been totally
      killed off and now the populations that they used to fee on are exploding.
      In Brown County, Indiana they let hunters into the state park every year to
      hunt deer. There are so many deer that they would starve to death over the
      winter. So they let hunters kill some and they get food and the remaining
      deer have food for the winter. Most of the hunters I know are very
      responsible outdoorsmen. They enjoy hunting, but they don't just kill for
      the fun of it. They eat what they kill. I think too many environmentalists
      don't pay attention to what hunters really do. If they could work together
      it would benefit everyone. To throw another match on the fire, I'm studying
      to be a civil engineer. My primary interest is highway design and
      subdivision design. I know a lot of environmentalists hate what I'm getting
      into. But it's work that has to be done and they actual do work to protect
      the environment as much as possible.

      Later and God Bless
      Ben
      AOL IM swainben
      "The things that I used to do, Lord I won't do no more" - SRV

    • CC0000000@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 1999
        Backpackers, hikers, paddlers, fishers, hunters, etc. working together. That
        would be great wouldn't it? I agree that they are not necessarily separate
        groups of people. I am avid canoeist and love to fish too. I usually fish
        from my canoe or a shore along the way during my canoe trips. I've had people
        tell me I shouldn't canoe certain places at certain times because it's a
        prime fishing time and/or area and the "fishermen" don't like it. But I fish
        too. And I'm not inconsiderate of others in/on the rivers. Unfortunately
        there are some very inconsiderate people out there; canoeist and fisherpeople
        (What is the politically correct term? Is it "fishers"?). The one thing we
        have in common is that we all find pleasure in the what nature has provided.
        It's too bad we can't find pleasure in helping each other enjoy it instead
        of being self centered and possessive. After all it's there for everyone. No
        one owns nature. And one's choice of activities and/or attitude (positive or
        negative) does not give them priority nor does it discount them. Of course
        this is all my opinion. And those who disagree also have the right to do
        that. :)
        CC
      • Orosz Asylum
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 1999
          Leave no trace is a good start.

          I think the credo slightly misquoted here is
          "Take nothing but pictures.
          Leave nothing but footprints"
          Now a days that's what we teach the kids in scouting.

          Dennis Orosz
        • Ron Hassel
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 1999
            I have to agree with you guys on that one too. I
            think conservationalists do in fact go a little over
            board when it comes to hunting issues. Its a fact of
            life. And can you imagine how many deer/car accidents
            there would be if there was no hunting season. Plus
            its a heck of a lot more humane then the way they kill
            cows in a slaughterhouse. Anyway thats my two cents I
            guess.

            I too learned to love the outdoors hunting and fishing
            in the Upper Peninsula. Oh and a side note, I am a
            civil engineer in Wisconsin, Ben, and I have thrown
            that issue around for some time. Of Course at MTU
            where I went to school, the environmental and civil
            programs are extremely closely related. So I always
            thought they went hand and hand or should anyhow!

            -Ron Hassel
          • Abu Garcia
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 1999
              >One of my interests (which my seem controversial to some and might be >a
              >good discussion topic) is to foster the working together of
              >backpackers/hikers/paddlers etc. with fishers/hunters. Many people I >know
              >fall into both categories, but others view these groups as >separate
              >entities.
              >What do others think?

              Hear, Hear! I really don't think that the "hook and bullet" organizations
              get the credit that they deserve from the environmental community for
              habitat preservation. Unfortunately, the environmental movement has been, in
              large part, co-opted by the vegan/animal rights folks, who have zero
              credibility with the public and lawmakers. What made me so angry last year
              when there were protests against hunting in the Indiana Dunes was that these
              people seemed to completely ignore the fact that predators native to the
              area - including the *human ones* that lived there before settlement - no
              longer check the deer population. All that mattered was that it's mean to
              kill a deer, even if to benefit other species. One hundred years of ecology
              have told us that it's populations, not individuals, that matter. Drives me
              nuts.
              Hunters, fishers, hikers and paddlers have much more congruent objectives -
              we need wild, clean places.
              Ian
            • Jenbikee@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 21, 1999
                Hi all,
                I was previously signed on as JenCharney. Just moved the mail to this screen
                name for my convenience. Hike on!
              • Debbie Carr-Taylor
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 30, 2011
                  Hi,

                  I just found this group today while looking for information about Allegan Game Reserve. Glad to have found a place for information about hiking in Michigan!

                  We are day hikers who live in Plymouth, MI. We are at Maybury SP 2-3 times a week just to get out in the woods. We enjoy exploring new hiking areas wherever we go. We are also birders so we enjoy combining the two activities wherever we can.

                  This summer we have two weeks over in west Michigan, starting July 10 and a wonderful 3 week tour of the U.P starting August 8. I've been trolling the internet for hiking information for both trips.

                  Looking forward to reading the message archives for new information!

                  Best,

                  Debbie
                • Big D
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 30, 2011
                    Debbie,

                    Don't know what your experience is with the U.P., but the North Country Trail through Pictured Rocks NLS is NOT to be missed. Good hiking in the Porkies...Trap Hills (S. of Ontanogan) also picturesque...

                    Big D

                    --- In greatlakeshikes@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Carr-Taylor" <debsuecarr@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I just found this group today while looking for information about Allegan Game Reserve. Glad to have found a place for information about hiking in Michigan!
                    >
                    > We are day hikers who live in Plymouth, MI. We are at Maybury SP 2-3 times a week just to get out in the woods. We enjoy exploring new hiking areas wherever we go. We are also birders so we enjoy combining the two activities wherever we can.
                    >
                    > This summer we have two weeks over in west Michigan, starting July 10 and a wonderful 3 week tour of the U.P starting August 8. I've been trolling the internet for hiking information for both trips.
                    >
                    > Looking forward to reading the message archives for new information!
                    >
                    > Best,
                    >
                    > Debbie

                  • Debbie Carr-Taylor
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 2, 2011
                      Hi Big D,

                      Thanks for pointing this out. Since we'll just be day hikers, not through hikers, is there one end or the other that would be better (more scenic) to hike? We'll be near both the Munising and Grand Marais ends of the trail during our trip.

                      I'd never even heard of Trap Hills! We'll be near there too, when we're at Craig Lake SP for 3 nights. The NCT site includes several day hikes for the area so we'll give it a try too:

                      http://www.northcountrytrail.org/pwf/traphills.htm

                      --- In greatlakeshikes@yahoogroups.com, "Big D" <delawton@...> wrote:

                      > Debbie,
                      >
                      > Don't know what your experience is with the U.P., but the North Country Trail through Pictured Rocks NLS is NOT to be missed. Good hiking in the Porkies...Trap Hills (S. of Ontanogan) also picturesque...
                      >
                      > Big D
                      >
                      > --- In greatlakeshikes@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Carr-Taylor" <debsuecarr@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi,
                      > >
                      > > I just found this group today while looking for information about Allegan Game Reserve. Glad to have found a place for information about hiking in Michigan!
                      > >
                      > > We are day hikers who live in Plymouth, MI. We are at Maybury SP 2-3 times a week just to get out in the woods. We enjoy exploring new hiking areas wherever we go. We are also birders so we enjoy combining the two activities wherever we can.
                      > >
                      > > This summer we have two weeks over in west Michigan, starting July 10 and a wonderful 3 week tour of the U.P starting August 8. I've been trolling the internet for hiking information for both trips.
                      > >
                      > > Looking forward to reading the message archives for new information!
                      > >
                      > > Best,
                      > >
                      > > Debbie

                    • Big D
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 2, 2011
                        Debbie,

                        The sweet spot in PRNL can be dayhiked from a trailhead near Chapel Falls. Park there, hike past Chapel Falls to Chapel Beach, then follow the shore (wow) west to Mosquito, where there is a trail to take you back to the parking lot. Probably about 8 miles total. The rest of the shoreline between Gd Marais and Munising is great, but this is the best.

                        http://www.nps.gov/pwr/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=piro&parkname=Pictured%20Rocks%20National%20Lakeshore

                        ...it looks like you have a good link for Trap Hills info.

                        Big D

                        --- In greatlakeshikes@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Carr-Taylor" <debsuecarr@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Big D,
                        >
                        > Thanks for pointing this out. Since we'll just be day hikers, not through hikers, is there one end or the other that would be better (more scenic) to hike? We'll be near both the Munising and Grand Marais ends of the trail during our trip.
                        >
                        > I'd never even heard of Trap Hills! We'll be near there too, when we're at Craig Lake SP for 3 nights. The NCT site includes several day hikes for the area so we'll give it a try too:
                        >
                        > http://www.northcountrytrail.org/pwf/traphills.htm
                        >
                        > --- In greatlakeshikes@yahoogroups.com, "Big D" <delawton@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Debbie,
                        > >
                        > > Don't know what your experience is with the U.P., but the North Country Trail through Pictured Rocks NLS is NOT to be missed. Good hiking in the Porkies...Trap Hills (S. of Ontanogan) also picturesque...
                        > >
                        > > Big D
                        > >
                        > > --- In greatlakeshikes@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Carr-Taylor" <debsuecarr@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi,
                        > > >
                        > > > I just found this group today while looking for information about Allegan Game Reserve. Glad to have found a place for information about hiking in Michigan!
                        > > >
                        > > > We are day hikers who live in Plymouth, MI. We are at Maybury SP 2-3 times a week just to get out in the woods. We enjoy exploring new hiking areas wherever we go. We are also birders so we enjoy combining the two activities wherever we can.
                        > > >
                        > > > This summer we have two weeks over in west Michigan, starting July 10 and a wonderful 3 week tour of the U.P starting August 8. I've been trolling the internet for hiking information for both trips.
                        > > >
                        > > > Looking forward to reading the message archives for new information!
                        > > >
                        > > > Best,
                        > > >
                        > > > Debbie

                      • Debbie Carr-Taylor
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 2, 2011
                          Thanks again Big D. That is a perfect length of trail for us and sounds
                          like a great loop to do.

                          _____

                          The sweet spot in PRNL can be dayhiked from a trailhead near Chapel Falls.
                          Park there, hike past Chapel Falls to Chapel Beach, then follow the shore
                          (wow) west to Mosquito, where there is a trail to take you back to the
                          parking lot. Probably about 8 miles total. The rest of the shoreline between
                          Gd Marais and Munising is great, but this is the best.

                          http://www.nps.gov/pwr/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=piro
                          <http://www.nps.gov/pwr/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=piro&parkna
                          me=Pictured%20Rocks%20National%20Lakeshore>
                          &parkname=Pictured%20Rocks%20National%20Lakeshore

                          ...it looks like you have a good link for Trap Hills info.

                          Big D

                          --- In greatlakeshikes@yahoogroups.com
                          <mailto:greatlakeshikes%40yahoogroups.com> , "Debbie Carr-Taylor"