Re: [greatharwood] The Public Library

  • john duckworth
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 1949
      Around about then we got a new library, so you could have visited both the
      old and the new.

      The old library was on Water Street at the rear of the Mercer Hall. A wooden
      building which is still in use by the Guides, I think.

      The new library is on Queen Street between the day nursery and the Plough
      pub. Considering some of the public buildings erected in that era, its quite
      pleasent on the eye.

      In fact go to 'files' on egroup and checkout '(461) views' folder.(461
      refers to message number which introduces the folder) There is a photo of
      new library there.

      It is shortly to be demolished to make way for a Co-op supermarket, so if
      you want to see it in the flesh to relive your childhood, suggest you get
      your skates on!!!!

      Regards
      John D