Re: [greatharwood]

  • Ian Fairclough
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2001
      There were 21 mills at one time but it became 22 when Record Mill opened in 1919

      "ken.hindle" wrote:

      .At one time thee were 21 Mills in Gt. Harwood.

    • ccusouthend@yahoo.co.uk
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2001
        How many mills remain standing, in 'Arrod?

        When we were kids, we used to clamber over the walls of Record Mill,
        mainly to get ball-bearings out of the abandoned machinery, to use
        as "iron bobbers". I don't know exactly when the mill stopped
        production, but I can't remember any activity there, from the late
        50's onward.

        The mill has now been demolished, replaced by a housing estate, which
        extends down the back of Harwood Lane, to within a stone's throw of
        Squires Farm.

        Philip Hollywood