response to expected state budget cuts for people with disabilities

  • Anne Scheetz
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2012
      Dear friends and neighbors,

      Please read the letter below, and please sign it. If you belong to an organization that would be willing to sign on, please ask them to do so.

      This is another example of wrong-headed cost cutting. It is less expensive to support people with disabilities in the community than it is to care for them in nursing homes. But if they don't get community services, nursing homes are where they have to go. Only the nursing home owners and their lobbyists win--taxpayers pay, and people with disabilities suffer.

      Thanks, everyone!

      Anne

      I will attach the sign on letter below, but do you think someone can bring this up at a GA?  I’m not sure if I am going to the GA tonight.

      Also, you can sign on as an individual, but it’d be awesome for Occupy to sign on, too.

      Today we will finally hear details about the Governor’s budget proposal. Four AL staff (myself, Curtis Harris, Tom Wilson and Rod Estvan) will be on hand in Springfield as well as nine of our consumers.  We will be offering to partner with legislators on Medicaid changes, as well as encouraging people to join with us in a statement of solidarity on home and community based services.  You can see the statement at: http://protectillinoishcbs.wordpress.com/ and pasted as text below. Email me if you want to be added!  Let’s make sure people know today and all the rest of the week that we are concerned about our budget crisis and how it affects people with disabilities!

      Amber Smock

      JOINT STATEMENT SUPPORTING ILLINOIS HOME AND COMMUNITY BASED SERVICES

      We, the undersigned, call on the Illinois Administration and the General Assembly to defend Illinois home and community based services by taking the following actions in the FY 2013 budget:

      ·         PROTECT: People with disabilities, seniors and workers have fought for decades to build programs that serve people with disabilities and seniors in the community, and have fought to raise standards for the workers who are employed by those programs.  Limiting eligibility, reducing and/ or cutting services and lowering standards for workers will only damage these vital programs.

      ·         INVEST: Serve more people by spending smarter.  Home and community based services are the most cost effective way to support people with disabilities and seniors in our own communities.  Illinois must ensure that it spends its budget wisely by investing in Medicaid home and community based services.  Illinois also needs to invest in creating affordable, accessible, integrated housing for very low-income people with disabilities and seniors.

      ·         ENFORCE: Our state must meet the requirements set forward in the three major Illinois Olmstead class action cases: Ligas, Williams, and Colbert.  These cases are based on Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the idea that federal dollars (i.e., Medicaid) should support people with disabilities in the least restrictive environment.

      ·         STRENGTHEN: State-funded programs such as the Home Services Program, the Community Care Program, Centers for Independent Living, the Community Reintegration Program and many others ensure that people with disabilities and seniors can live in the community, and provide jobs for thousands of workers.  These programs need adequate funding and up-to-date provider payments.

      We, the undersigned organizations, support the fight to protect, invest, enforce and strengthen Illinois home and community based services:

      Access Living of Metropolitan Chicago

      Chicago ADAPT

      Illinois Network of Centers for Independent Living

      SEIU Healthcare Illinois and Indiana

      The SILC of Illinois

      To sign onto this letter as an individual or organization, please email Amber Smock of Access Living at asmock@....

      Anne Scheetz, MD, FACP
      Chicago IL
      773-486-6276
      annescheetz@...
      Organizer, Physicians for a National Health Program, IL Chapter  www.pnhp.org
      Organizer, Illinois Single-Payer Coalition  ilsinglepayercoalition.org
      Secretary, ISPC People with Disabilities Committee
      Hope is the belief in the plausibility of the possible, as opposed to the necessity of the probable.--Maimonides