Volunteer Opportunity to benefit Humboldt Park Social Services

  • jentdye
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2010

      Hi GGNA,

      Humboldt Park Social Services (HPSS) is sending a volunteer team to the GreaterChicago Food Depository at 4100 W. Anne Lurie Place TOMORROW, Friday July 2nd from9:00am – 12:00pm.  Volunteers will re-pack food from bulk quantitiesto individual servings. Opportunities like this are critical for HPSS as the Depository will give us food credits in exchange forvolunteer labor that allow us to stock our soup kitchen and food pantry whichfeed the most disadvantaged persons in Humboldt Park and Logan Square.

      Are you available to serve with us on Friday,July 2nd from 9:00am-12:00pm, or do you know of someone who may be available? We can give community service/service learning hours for volunteers/studentsas well.  Below is some pertinent information that the Depository wouldlike volunteers to know.  If interested, please RSVP to me at jdye(at)hpsschanginglives(dot)org so we canhave a final count and help the Depository make adequate accommodations for thegroup.  Should you have any questions, I can be reached at 773-398-0147.

      • Plan ahead: Please plan on arriving 10 to 15 minutes early so that we may start promptly, as other groups will be waiting. GCFD provides a 5-10 minute orientation at the beginning of each session for all volunteers. Please enter the building through the Volunteer Entrance, located to the left of the main entrance.
      • Dress code: Volunteers must wear long pants and close-toed shoes. You will not be permitted to work in the warehouse if you are wearing sandals or shorts/ short skirt.
      • What to bring: We ask that each volunteer bring an item of canned or non-perishable food to donate.
      • What not to bring: We encourage volunteers not to bring personal belongings into the facility; however, lockers are available if needed.
      • Where to park: Please park on side streets, Karlov and Keeler, for morning and afternoon sessions. Our parking lot will be available for Wednesday evening and Saturday sessions.
      • Age requirements: The minimum age for volunteers is 13 years old. Volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult 18 and older.

      Thank youvery much!

      Kind regards,

      JennieDye
      Volunteer Development Coordinator