Re: RSEV Blackbird class project

  • Michael Dennis Grissom
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2007
      I just took a trip of your RSEV website and discovered that you
      actually built and flew your ship in X-Plane. I have built and flown
      three experimental aircraft in X-Plane and know this program is
      exacting in that they fly exactly like they would in real life flight.
      I could tell from the angle of the canard during takeoff that it was
      flying properly (balanced) which is no easy task for a delta wing
      canard. I'm impressed! My only concern was WHY you used the automated
      pilot to fly it. Normally that is only done when the airplane is too
      unstable to fly via manual control ..OR, neither you or your brother
      know how to fly an airplane (yet). Have you uploaded this to the
      X-Plane download area yet so that other designers/pilots can fly and
      possibly make improvements to it. I would welcome the opportunity to
      try. The three that I designed were intentionally UNstable designs for
      the purpose of learning unusual ways of recovering from out-of-control
      flight (including gliding backwards! LOL) - a hobby of mine. I look
      forward to watching you develope!

      -IG

      --- In gravitationalpropulsionstevenson@yahoogroups.com, "Michael
      Dennis Grissom" <inventorgrissom@...> wrote:

      > I just finished reading the RSECV PDF and voted in the pole for this
      > project. The pole is now 100% "other" as I was the first to vote. I'm
      > still not sure if this is some preamble hype for an upcoming new video
      > game, a proposed REAL project TO BE started, or something else.
      >
      > The PDF really needs proof-reading and corrected for the typos like
      > ("difficult" instead of difficulty), misuses of English words like
      > ("threw" instead of through, "it's self" instead of itself...), and
      > generally poor grammar if the author wants to be taken seriously -
      > even if it is only a proposed video game idea.
      >
      > The overall ship concept is well thought out and the graphics are well
      > done. If I had a free 24 hours I would love to build this ship in
      > X-Plane and take it for a ride - especially the reentry phase with a
      > simulated missing tile.
      >
      > This might make a great open source project?
      >
      > I wish the best for the Swem team. Good luck!
      >
      > IG

    • Benjamin P. Swem
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2007
        We have built an X-Plane model of the craft. X-plane is not too
        acurate when it comes to space or reentry. It starts to loose accuracy
        above 90,000 feet. I have done nose dives into the atmosphere in
        X-plane which we know would be a bad idea in real life.

        As to the spelling and gramer of the project plan. I could use a proof
        reader to help spot mistakes I miss. I'll have one of the other Board
        members take a look at it and see what they can do for it.

        We are looking at this as an actuall plan and we are working towards
        actually building the ship in full size.

        --- In gravitationalpropulsionstevenson@yahoogroups.com, "Michael
        Dennis Grissom" <inventorgrissom@...> wrote:

        > I just finished reading the RSECV PDF and voted in the pole for this
        > project. The pole is now 100% "other" as I was the first to vote. I'm
        > still not sure if this is some preamble hype for an upcoming new video
        > game, a proposed REAL project TO BE started, or something else.
        >
        > The PDF really needs proof-reading and corrected for the typos like
        > ("difficult" instead of difficulty), misuses of English words like
        > ("threw" instead of through, "it's self" instead of itself...), and
        > generally poor grammar if the author wants to be taken seriously -
        > even if it is only a proposed video game idea.
        >
        > The overall ship concept is well thought out and the graphics are well
        > done. If I had a free 24 hours I would love to build this ship in
        > X-Plane and take it for a ride - especially the reentry phase with a
        > simulated missing tile.
        >
        > This might make a great open source project?
        >
        > I wish the best for the Swem team. Good luck!
        >
        > IG

      • Benjamin P. Swem
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2007
          I did fly the plane myself though I have only flown an actual plane
          once durring an EAA event. I only had the computer fly the plane so I
          could concentrate on getitng some of the screenshots. Plus, on
          takeoff, I can't keep the darn thing strait for nothin. I have that
          problem with most aircraft until I get them airborn.

          As to making it stable, that was very difficult at first. My first
          flight I reahc about 20 thousen then she rolle dover, yawed like crazy
          and went into the ground. By the way, I do have an acocunt on
          X-Plane.org. My user name is Krahazik. Most of my other planes are
          posted. I experimented with othe fictional aircraft to help me learn
          X-Plane and Plane Maker. You may note that most of my planes feature
          canards. Bene a real learning expierence for me. I have read a little
          about aircraft design and aerospace engineering in my perosnal
          research, but now I have managed to put some of that to use and can
          see the results of stuff.

          In the X-Plane model, I have been using all default airfoils.

          --- In gravitationalpropulsionstevenson@yahoogroups.com, "Michael
          Dennis Grissom" <inventorgrissom@...> wrote:

          > I just took a trip of your RSEV website and discovered that you
          > actually built and flew your ship in X-Plane. I have built and flown
          > three experimental aircraft in X-Plane and know this program is
          > exacting in that they fly exactly like they would in real life flight.
          > I could tell from the angle of the canard during takeoff that it was
          > flying properly (balanced) which is no easy task for a delta wing
          > canard. I'm impressed! My only concern was WHY you used the automated
          > pilot to fly it. Normally that is only done when the airplane is too
          > unstable to fly via manual control ..OR, neither you or your brother
          > know how to fly an airplane (yet). Have you uploaded this to the
          > X-Plane download area yet so that other designers/pilots can fly and
          > possibly make improvements to it. I would welcome the opportunity to
          > try. The three that I designed were intentionally UNstable designs for
          > the purpose of learning unusual ways of recovering from out-of-control
          > flight (including gliding backwards! LOL) - a hobby of mine. I look
          > forward to watching you develope!
          >
          > -IG
          >
          > --- In gravitationalpropulsionstevenson@yahoogroups.com, "Michael
          > Dennis Grissom" <inventorgrissom@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just finished reading the RSECV PDF and voted in the pole for this
          > > project. The pole is now 100% "other" as I was the first to vote. I'm
          > > still not sure if this is some preamble hype for an upcoming new video
          > > game, a proposed REAL project TO BE started, or something else.
          > >
          > > The PDF really needs proof-reading and corrected for the typos like
          > > ("difficult" instead of difficulty), misuses of English words like
          > > ("threw" instead of through, "it's self" instead of itself...), and
          > > generally poor grammar if the author wants to be taken seriously -
          > > even if it is only a proposed video game idea.
          > >
          > > The overall ship concept is well thought out and the graphics are well
          > > done. If I had a free 24 hours I would love to build this ship in
          > > X-Plane and take it for a ride - especially the reentry phase with a
          > > simulated missing tile.
          > >
          > > This might make a great open source project?
          > >
          > > I wish the best for the Swem team. Good luck!
          > >
          > > IG

        • Benjamin P. Swem
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9, 2007
            You voted for "Other" on the poll. I would be interested in knowing
            what position would want aboard a Blackbird Class ship, be it the
            Science Ship or one of the specialized variants.