SN ; Mysterious Universe

  • mysterygravity
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2006

          I have been asked by a local person: " Why all the interest in Space ? " I proceeded to tell them how many useful devices have been discovered by Space research and development, that have uses on Earth. That didn't seem to impress them much, and they said ; "all the money spent does not make the few inventions worthwhile."

          I said all the money spent every month on the military, is more than the money spent by NASA in an entire year. But that was not nearly enough, for this person, and realized that I was not in a discussion, but that person had made up their mind that space research was a waste of money, so I changed the subject. I knew I had made up my mind as well and neither of us was going to change our positions.

            But that discussion stayed with me and I did re-evaluate my stance on space. What was it about space that really made me interested in space. . . The Mystery ! I know the Hubble Space telescope has recently been in the news over another failure of another battery, don't know if it was a Sony battery. But they seem to have compensated. Hubble needs repairs desperately, but War is the priority. I love the imagery that has come back from Hubble. It has been one of the best uses of money by the government in the last century. An incredible amount of information and shear beauty and mysterious imagery has been beamed down to Earth by this craft/telescope. Here is one such image;

      See Explanation.  Clicking on the picture will download
the highest resolution version available.

      This is just an example, but there have been so many  incredible images, anyone that has spent enough time with such incredible imagery has to come away with a sense of Awe, what a beautiful universe we exist in. All of this great beauty shames war. But most have never really spent much time examining the revelations that are exposed by this imagery. They don't know that there are such incredible epiphanies awaiting anyone that is willing to really give these images a good long hard look. Here is a link to just one page that shows hundreds of images from space. Most of the images at this link can be clicked on as many as three or more times, increasing the magnification each time. And there are more pages waiting, not just this one, but this page focuses on areas in space where creation and change are most at work. This is an astounding link;

      http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/apod/apod_search?Star+Formation

            I am not a great fan of everything NASA has done, but the Hubble has shown many people that take the time; that there is more than we could have imagined before Hubble. Another great success has been the Martian Rovers that are still working and sending back fantastic imagery and information, long past their due date. Gravity B hopes to tell us more on the basic reality that we live in and the link to them is in our links section, open to the public. That should be announced before too much longer !

          Oh 1 little matter, I did add a SF heading for people to post Science Fiction stories as they wish. This is only for original short stories, do not copy someone elses work . But it has been a long standing practice in political commentary and science, amongst other things to write a fictional story, often with characters that may seem a lot like "someone"  other's might recognize in high positions of Governmental bureaucracy, and so in keeping with "Poor Richard's Almanac", that section may be used as member's wish, keeping in mind our forum is public and can be viewed by anyone.

           Please, go to that site and see the beauty of our Universe, the works of art in space are far greater than anything ever painted by the hand of man.

      Mystery   B-)

    • paul_toomer
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2006
        Every one has a right to their opinion bit like some of the people I
        know,some only understand in what is in front of them work - eat -
        sleep and a chat down the pub about work -eat - sleep and how their
        local football team is performing and then maybe the critical view
        on what they don't understand.

        If life had to evolve from these negative people I am quite sure we
        would have square wheels today and think the world is flat, its only
        when positive thinking people try to explore the unknown that it can
        then become known, right or wrong it becomes known.

        The round wheel was right the square wheel was wrong if it takes a
        thing called money to find this out then what does it matter, as for
        NASA right or wrong we will find out.

        As for our own planet Earth, in its ever increasing population
        resulting in ever increasing pollution and a decrease in greenbelt
        land,its mankinds duty to try and find solutions who cares ?, yes we
        do the people who read on this site and others like it,the very
        reason we are here is because we care now and not later.

        What wonders lie ahead when you look at the pictures from the Hubble
        telescope, can mankind ever take a closer look in a future
        spacecraft propulsion drive ? not if we don't spend that thing
        called money,then the wheel will remain square.

        gravitationalpropulsionstevenson@yahoogroups.com, "mysterygravity"