Re: Would rolling body transformation can help find a clue?

  • mysterystevenson1
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2009
      Curious, some of the properties of this design echo some of my concerns with a "Space Elevator". While the size factor is many magnitudes different, some factors are similar. When I calculated the length of a space elevator Ribbon or Cable due to orbital mechanics and the rotation of the Earth, I came up with a length close to 100,000 miles just to reach an altitude of about 200 miles, in a counter-rotational direction encircling the Earth many times before reaching that altitude, and as far as the theoretical "space anchor" well that would be even further by far. This would be needed just to counter shear factors, however even supposing great advancements in nano tech, there just is nothing on the drawing boards that could possibly withstand the stress of the weight/mass of the cable alone, let alone an elevator.
      I know that this is a bit off topic from the original concept you mention, however, one of the factors that I contemplated using to alter the force factors was inclusion of CMGs (Giant Gyros) along the cable to alter attitude and hence certain shearing factors. Never really came up with a way to make the numbers doable, however factors did begin to improve. Have you ever considered the addition of Gyros in your design?CMGs can be altered as wished to influence attitude as needed.

      Mystery