Re: SN GYROSCOPE Design on ISS may endanger Shuttle and Space Station

  • mysterygravity
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29, 2007

             In the upcoming Shuttle flight there will be the delivery of one of the massive CMGs (Gyroscope) to replace the failed one that has been a concern for quite some time. Of course it will be replaced by a rebuilt gyro that had already failed once prior in the space station, as have others. This is very likely to be the last Gyro that the Shuttles will be able to deliver to the ISS before the Shuttle program shuts down in a few more years.

            As the station grows, it's mass will apply more and more stress on the Gyros, and given the failure rate, there could very well come a crunch time for Gyros onboard the Station. They do have evacuation plans and so we can hope for safety to have been addressed for the International Astronauts and Cosmonauts. Lets all hope that the Shuttle delivers safely the replacement Gyro and the older ones last longer than some of their prior units. There have been some good results from the station and data will be studied from ISS research for decades, but the longer it lasts the more knowledge we will get for the money spent.

          One thing we have learned is that one of the more simpler parts of systems (Gyros) need greater consideration in future space designs. This could have been avoided as a problem altogether if proper designs had been approved, and cost cutting at the start has ended up costing us more by these expensive repair and replacement flights, than if we had spent what was needed at the start.Hindsight...

      News Link;

      http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=24746

      Mystery   B-)

    • Jim S
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 2009

            This upcoming mission of the Shuttle to the ISS will at last address many of the issues that have been ongoing and of major concern to me. For many years I have had fears that the poor design of the CMGs (Gyroscopes) on board the ISS could end up in disaster. Well this launch is not only going to bring up a spare CMG, it's taking up two spares! I am very happy that NASA has decided to do this.They have also adopted some of my suggestions about making some smaller gyros eventually that could be lifted by smaller craft.

            Will be a shame to lose the Shuttles when they are retired, because they were unique in their ability to lift so much mass into orbit. Nothing else is big enough to lift one of those massive gyros, let alone 2 of them. So we will lose an important space exploration tool when the Shuttles are gone. Here is a link to one story about this mission, and a few quotes from the link for your review;

        Atlantis mission to fortify future of the space station
        http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts129/091114preview/

        "With just six missions left on NASA's shuttle manifest between now and the end of fiscal 2010, Atlantis' mission is one of two devoted primarily to delivering critical spare parts and equipment - orbital replacement units, or ORUs - that are too large to be delivered by European, Russian or Japanese cargo ships.

        Mounted on pallets in Atlantis' payload bay are two spare control moment gyroscopes, used to control the station's orientation in space; a high pressure oxygen tank for the station's airlock; and a spare pump module, nitrogen tank and an ammonia reservoir for the lab's cooling system.

        The pallets also carry a replacement robot arm latching end effector, or mechanical hand; a spare power cable spool used by the arm's mobile transporter; a solar array battery charge-discharge unit; and a device used to prevent potentially dangerous electrical arcs between the station and the electrically charged extreme upper atmosphere."

        Mystery B-)

        _______________

        --- In gravitationalpropulsionstevenson@yahoogroups.com, "mysterygravity" <mysterystevenson1@...> wrote:

        Again the CMG's are becoming an issue on the ISS. Again I feel it
         is possible to supply supplimental gyroscopic systems before it is too late, if that is within our political will. The issues are being blamed
        on computer glitches and on and on, but stresses on the entire station
        are being "amassed". Here is a current link as to breaking news,but
        think there will be more;

        http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts117/070612cmgs/
         http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts117/070612cmgs/

        There is more about recent testing of the one down CMG and yet sources
        are continuously mentioning the 4 Gyro system as though all
        function...See near the end of this BBC story;

        http://bbsnews.net/article.php/2007051521254433
         http://bbsnews.net/article.php/2007051521254433

        Here are some older links to our posts on similar subjects ;

        Please note that there is a copy of one of my communications to NASA
         concerning this issue from last year in our private files area in the
         "Time Capsule" in the group. Also in the public links area of the group is a link to a free video link with it's own player that has as one of
         it's channels a NASA link for live viewing of what is happening.There
         are continuing issues almost hourly and so am holding back on
         indications that are now unfolding...

        Note ; unrelated that a sister group to this group has been
         started and soon will release invitations to join in the expansion.

        Mystery [B-)]