ULTIMATE article in the NY Times!

  • lbmoondancer@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2009
      Hey GRADA,

      Check out this sweeeeet article from the NEW YORK TIMES yesterday:

      Here's to our brilliant sport ~ especially the up-and-coming women players!  I'm tellin' ya, it's absolute magic watching my kids play in youth league!!!

      See ya on the fields, friends,
      ~Lynne

    • fractal@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2009
        But it's in the FASHION & STYLE section? =)

      • dbell@rochester.rr.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2009
          That's a great article. My perception is that GRADA is not experiencing the growth of women players as much as the national scene is, and we may even be shrinking the number of women players in GRADA as a percentage, as our recent growth has been mostly among men. Is that an issue? IF so, how can we address it?

          db
          ---- lbmoondancer@... wrote:

          > Hey GRADA,
          >
          > Check out this sweeeeet article from the NEW YORK TIMES yesterday:
          >
          > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/30/fashion/30fitness.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=ultimate%20frisbee&st=cse
          >
          > Here's to our brilliant sport ~ especially the up-and-coming women players!  I'm tellin' ya, it's absolute magic watching my kids play in youth league!!!
          >
          > See ya on the fields, friends,
          > ~Lynne

        • Ed Wiltse
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2009
            Hey, all,
            There are two major omissions in this otherwise good article: no mention of Spirit of the Game (or even of self-officiating, which is how most mass media coverage of ultimate gets at the broader concept), and no mention of the co-ed game, and the fact that ultimate is a rare sport that can be played at very high levels in a co-ed format.  These seem like strange things to leave out of this article, since I'd guess that each contributes significantly to rising women's participation...
            Ed