Re: Additional Functionality in GPX_Overlay

  • David S. Wissenbach
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2005
      --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, "dananderson2" <dananderson2@y...>
      wrote:

      > --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, "dananderson2" <dananderson2@y...>
      wrote:

      > > Here are some ideas for GPX_Overlay:
      > >
      > > <xsd:element name="imageOverlay" type="imageOverlayType">
      > > <xsd:annotation>
      > > <xsd:documentation>
      > > Image overlay (arrows, parking symbols, picnic tables,
      > > drawing that can't be done with existing elements)
      > > </xsd:documentation>
      > > </xsd:annotation>
      > > </xsd:element>
      > >
      > > <xsd:element name="anchor" type="anchorType">
      > > <xsd:annotation>
      > > <xsd:documentation>
      > > Image or text overlay on map linked to another object
      > > </xsd:documentation>
      > > </xsd:annotation>
      > > </xsd:element>
      > >

      > > <!-- image definition -->
      > > <xsd:complexType name="imageOverlayType">
      > > <xsd:sequence>
      > > <xsd:element name="type" type="xsd:string" minOccurs="0">
      > > <xsd:annotation>
      > > <xsd:documentation>
      > > Type of content (image/jpeg, image/gif, etc.)
      > > </xsd:documentation>
      > > </xsd:annotation>
      > > </xsd:element>
      > >
      > > <xsd:element ref="max_scale" minOccurs="0">
      > > <xsd:annotation>
      > > <xsd:documentation>
      > > Max scale at which the image is displayed on the map
      > > </xsd:documentation>
      > > </xsd:annotation>
      > > </xsd:element>
      > >
      > > <xsd:element name="points" type="pointsType" minOccurs="0">
      > > <xsd:annotation>
      > > <xsd:documentation>
      > > User-specified lat/lon positions for the image
      (center?,
      > > upper left?)
      > > </xsd:documentation>
      > > </xsd:annotation>
      > > </xsd:element>
      > >
      > > <xsd:attribute name="imgLink" type="xsd:anyURI"
      use="required">
      > > <xsd:annotation>
      > > <xsd:documentation>
      > > URL of image location.
      > > </xsd:documentation>
      > > </xsd:annotation>
      > > </xsd:attribute>
      > >
      > > </xsd:sequence>
      > > </xsd:complexType>
      > >

      > > <!-- anchor definition -->
      > > <xsd:complexType name="anchorType">
      > > <xsd:sequence>
      > > <xsd:element name="destType" type="xsd:string" minOccurs="0">
      > > <xsd:annotation>
      > > <xsd:documentation>
      > > Type of content of the destination (image/jpeg,
      > > text/plain, text/html, video/mpeg, audio/mid, etc.)
      > > </xsd:documentation>
      > > </xsd:annotation>
      > > </xsd:element>
      > >
      > > <xsd:element name="imageOverlay" type="imageOverlayType"
      > > minOccurs="0">
      > > <xsd:annotation>
      > > <xsd:documentation>
      > > User-specified lat/lon position for the image
      (center?,
      > > upper left?)
      > > </xsd:documentation>
      > > </xsd:annotation>
      > > </xsd:element>
      > >
      > > <xsd:attribute name="href" type="xsd:anyURI" use="required">
      > > <xsd:annotation>
      > > <xsd:documentation>
      > > URL of destination.
      > > </xsd:documentation>
      > > </xsd:annotation>
      > > </xsd:attribute>
      > >
      > > </xsd:sequence>
      > > </xsd:complexType>
      >
      > Of course, just after posting this I think of something
      > else - I don't really envision scaling the image so it
      > can just shrink to "nothing". So max_scale should probably
      > be removed.
      >
      > Dan A.

      I think that a lot of these concepts could be expressed in a
      container element similar to waypoint, perhaps called a
      point of interest, or poi. I especially like the idea of images and
      links just being one click away. I've implemented a simple version
      of this concept for waypoints in GPS Trail Mapper (unreleased
      software) by highlighting a waypoint symbol with a blue square (or
      could be a yellow arrow as in your examples) but only when the link
      tool is enabled. (When the link tool is enabled clicking on a link
      opens.)

      But I'd also like to refine and definitely implement your ideas for
      allowing images to be scaled and placed at arbitrary locations.

      These comments are not substantive, but I just wanted to offer
      encouragement and interest and promise to revisit this discussion
      within the next few months.

      Dave Wissenbach
    • dananderson2
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2005
        --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, "David S. Wissenbach"
        <davewissenbach@y...> wrote:
        [snip]
        > I think that a lot of these concepts could be expressed in a
        > container element similar to waypoint, perhaps called a
        > point of interest, or poi. I especially like the idea of images and
        > links just being one click away. I've implemented a simple version
        > of this concept for waypoints in GPS Trail Mapper (unreleased
        > software) by highlighting a waypoint symbol with a blue square (or
        > could be a yellow arrow as in your examples) but only when the link
        > tool is enabled. (When the link tool is enabled clicking on a link
        > opens.)

        The yellow arrows in the examples are just image overlays. In
        this case they aren't intended to be a link to anything but
        are just "tic" marks to indicate what part of the trail the
        mileage is for. "AAA" state road maps use a diamond shaped
        arrow for this purpose.

        Example:
        <imageOverlay imgLink="./images/South_Arrow.gif">
        <points>
        <pt lat="12.345" lon="56.789"/>
        <pt lat="21.345" lon="34.789"/>
        <pt lat="13.345" lon="28.789"/>
        <pt lat="23.345" lon="17.789"/>
        </points)
        </imageOverlay>
        <imageOverlay imgLink="./images/NE_Arrow.gif">
        <points>
        <pt lat="21.123" lon="34.543"/>
        <pt lat="13.123" lon="28.543"/>
        <pt lat="23.123" lon="17.543"/>
        </points)
        </imageOverlay>

        > But I'd also like to refine and definitely implement your ideas for
        > allowing images to be scaled and placed at arbitrary locations.
        >
        > These comments are not substantive, but I just wanted to offer
        > encouragement and interest and promise to revisit this discussion
        > within the next few months.

        Thanks. I hope we can get somewhere in less than a few months.

        Dan A.