National Geographic TOPO mac (CSV export 2 GPX) ?

  • Al
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
      Working on a cvs -> GPX for National Geographic TOPO software ..
      This would consist of a xsl transform, yet I have limited background with xslt.
      Can anyone lend a hand ?
    • James Sherring
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
        Hi Al,

        Have you seen GPSBabel
        http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net? GPSBabel supports
        transforms both ways for topo, GPX and csv waypoints
        (as well as many other
        formats). If it doesn't do something you want for your
        formats (like
        routes?), they are fairly responsive to requests or
        welcome contributions.

        Also, I think xsl will be useful for GPX -> csv but
        perhaps not for csv ->
        GPX.

        Regards,
        James

        Working on a cvs -> GPX for National Geographic TOPO
        software ..

        This would consist of a xsl transform, yet I have
        limited background with
        xslt.

        Can anyone lend a hand ?

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • al pivonka
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
          Topo! has about 4 different formats for its way points
          and when exported to a CSV file only two works well
          when parsing --UTM and Degrees.Degrees.

          I would really love to have TOPO produce a export in
          GPX..
          I have given up on XSL unless someone wants to try..
          I have attached a txt file(CSV) of three routes and
          waypoints...
          Please let me know what I can do to help..
          I have a simple Java app that is reading the file and
          generating a simple xml format -- then I take the
          simple xml and the gpx xsl and transform it to GPX..
          This process is sloppy and needs to be cleaned up..
          Yet it is a start...

          --- James Sherring <james_sherring@...> wrote:
          > Hi Al,
          >
          > Have you seen GPSBabel
          > http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net? GPSBabel supports
          > transforms both ways for topo, GPX and csv waypoints
          > (as well as many other
          > formats). If it doesn't do something you want for
          > your
          > formats (like
          > routes?), they are fairly responsive to requests or
          > welcome contributions.
          >
          > Also, I think xsl will be useful for GPX -> csv but
          > perhaps not for csv ->
          > GPX.
          >
          > Regards,
          > James

          =====
          Al Pivonka

          (H)317.295.1737

          Those who say it can't be done,
          are usually interrupted by those doing it.

        • Robert Lipe
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
            al pivonka wrote:

            > I would really love to have TOPO produce a export in
            > GPX..

            Two people have now pointed you to GPSBabel which reads and writes .tpg
            and GPX. Are you saying that it doesn't work for you or have you not
            tried it?

            (Follow-up to gpsbabel mailing list...)

            > TOPO! GPS Data Format Deg NAD27 ElevFeet UTC-Time
            > 01-S01,39.61462,-86..79726,786,01/02/2004,19:59:40,
            > 01-W02,39.60080,-86..79722,761,01/02/2004,20:00:00,
            > 01-S03,39.60060,-86..02838,778,01/02/2004,20:03:18,

            Does it really have two dots there?

            RJL
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
              Hello Robert,

              R> al pivonka wrote:

              >> I would really love to have TOPO produce a export in
              >> GPX..

              R> Two people have now pointed you to GPSBabel which reads and writes .tpg
              R> and GPX. Are you saying that it doesn't work for you or have you not
              R> tried it?

              The latest version of Topo! for Windows (I can't speak for Mac)
              removed support for the .tpg file format. The native .tpo format is
              binary, undocumented, and changes between versions of Topo. The new
              Topo has an import/export "feature" which lets you export waypoints in
              several very obscure text formats.

              The obvious solution would be for Topo! to support GPX import/export.
              Why don't we all take a moment and ask them nicely. I just did
              (again).
              <http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/ngmaps/contact.cfm?topocontact=yes>

              I've started to look into the .tpo format, but it's really ugly.

              TopoGrafix - GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps
              http://www.topografix.com - mailto:egroups@...
            • Al
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 7, 2004
                Yes it does have two dots..
                No I have not spent much time using GPSBable...
                I have a created a Java tool to parse the CSV file (specific format) and create a set of
                gpx file --
                Yet, some tools like TerraBrowser are not able to read it...
                Thinking it must be a format error on my part...

                --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lipe <robertlipe@u...> wrote:
                > al pivonka wrote:
                >
                > > I would really love to have TOPO produce a export in
                > > GPX..
                >
                > Two people have now pointed you to GPSBabel which reads and writes .tpg
                > and GPX. Are you saying that it doesn't work for you or have you not
                > tried it?
                >
                > (Follow-up to gpsbabel mailing list...)
                >
                > > TOPO! GPS Data Format Deg NAD27 ElevFeet UTC-Time
                > > 01-S01,39.61462,-86..79726,786,01/02/2004,19:59:40,
                > > 01-W02,39.60080,-86..79722,761,01/02/2004,20:00:00,
                > > 01-S03,39.60060,-86..02838,778,01/02/2004,20:03:18,
                >
                > Does it really have two dots there?
                >
                > RJL
              • Al
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 7, 2004
                  Dan just sent off my request for the support of an Export in GPX format...
                  Thanks for the URL

                  --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, Dan Foster <egroups@t...> wrote:
                  > Hello Robert,
                  >
                  > Tuesday, January 6, 2004, 2:25:58 PM, you wrote:
                  >
                  > R> al pivonka wrote:
                  >
                  > >> I would really love to have TOPO produce a export in
                  > >> GPX..
                  >
                  > R> Two people have now pointed you to GPSBabel which reads and writes .tpg
                  > R> and GPX. Are you saying that it doesn't work for you or have you not
                  > R> tried it?
                  >
                  > The latest version of Topo! for Windows (I can't speak for Mac)
                  > removed support for the .tpg file format. The native .tpo format is
                  > binary, undocumented, and changes between versions of Topo. The new
                  > Topo has an import/export "feature" which lets you export waypoints in
                  > several very obscure text formats.
                  >
                  > The obvious solution would be for Topo! to support GPX import/export.
                  > Why don't we all take a moment and ask them nicely. I just did
                  > (again).
                  > <http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/ngmaps/contact.cfm?topocontact=yes>
                  >
                  > I've started to look into the .tpo format, but it's really ugly.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Dan Foster
                  > TopoGrafix - GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps
                  > http://www.topografix.com - mailto:egroups@t...
                • Robert Lipe
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2004
                    Al wrote:

                    > Yet, some tools like TerraBrowser are not able to read it...
                    > Thinking it must be a format error on my part...

                    The line in the sand on XML is "does it validate?". If the file you
                    generate validates but doesn't work in TerraBrowser, it's their problem;
                    if it doesn't, it's your problem. It's nice having a firm line like
                    that.

                    Feed the file you generate to a validator such as
                    http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/sax2count.html

                    RJL
                  • Al
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 8, 2004
                      I have validated using the java version of xerces parser:

                      java sax.Counter -dv routeAll.gpx
                      routeAll.gpx: 507 ms (919 elems, 459 attrs, 0 spaces, 5040 chars)

                      usage: java sax.Counter (options) uri ...

                      -p name Select parser by name.
                      -x number Select number of repetitions.
                      -n | -N Turn on/off namespace processing.
                      -np | -NP Turn on/off namespace prefixes.
                      NOTE: Requires use of -n.
                      -v | -V Turn on/off validation.
                      -s | -S Turn on/off Schema validation support.
                      NOTE: Not supported by all parsers.
                      -f | -F Turn on/off Schema full checking.
                      NOTE: Requires use of -s and not supported by all parsers.
                      -dv | -DV Turn on/off dynamic validation.
                      NOTE: Requires use of -v and not supported by all parsers.
                      -m | -M Turn on/off memory usage report
                      -t | -T Turn on/off "tagginess" report.
                      --rem text Output user defined comment before next parse.
                      -h This help screen.