GPX in HTML page

  • jantgerard
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
      Is there a possibility to include/embed GPX entities in a HTML
      document? I would like to make a HTML page with 'hyperlinks' that, by
      clicking on them, send a (set of) waypoint(s), route, track to for
      example EasyGPS or GPSBabel, and/or to a GPS. Theoretically, this
      seems possible. Is that true, and what is the systax to use? My
      browser does send the data to EasyGPS when I click on a gpx document,
      so the mechanism works. I only want to include the GPX data within the
      same HTML file.
    • Robert Lipe
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
        > browser does send the data to EasyGPS when I click on a gpx document,
        > so the mechanism works. I only want to include the GPX data within the
        > same HTML file.

        I think it has to be in a different file because you need a new HTTP
        header that displays the mime type that can trigger the download/save
        as/helper mechanism.

        RJL
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2003
          Hello jantgerard,

          j> Is there a possibility to include/embed GPX entities in a HTML
          j> document? I would like to make a HTML page with 'hyperlinks' that, by
          j> clicking on them, send a (set of) waypoint(s), route, track to for
          j> example EasyGPS or GPSBabel, and/or to a GPS. Theoretically, this
          j> seems possible. Is that true, and what is the systax to use? My
          j> browser does send the data to EasyGPS when I click on a gpx document,
          j> so the mechanism works. I only want to include the GPX data within the
          j> same HTML file.

          You'd probably need to use something on the server side to initiate
          the download. Perhaps you can use a form with the GPX snippet as a
          hidden field, and post it back to the server to initiate the download?

          Another option is to rename the GPX file to .xml, and include a
          stylesheet to display it as HTML in the browser. Then the user can
          just save the files as a .gpx file.

          Finally, you could include GPX snippets as text in a form, and let the
          user copy the GPX and paste into EasyGPS. My programs use GPX as the
          text format for copy and paste. If other programs started supporting
          this, it would be a fast way to move data between GPX-enabled apps.

          TopoGrafix - GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps
          http://www.topografix.com - mailto:egroups@...
        • Charles LaPierre
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 2003
            This seems to work for me and note the miss-spelling of attachment is
            needed

            Add the follwing HTML headers
            Content-Type=application/octet-stream
            Content-Disposition=attatchment; filename=nameOfFile.txt
            Content-Length=SizeOfAttachment

            Hope this helps
            Charles.