Validated file doesn't open

  • andrew_c_stock <gpx@andrew-stock.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
      Hi,

      I have written a program for my pocket pc to plot my position and
      save the route I've taken as a <rte> in gpx format. The output
      files from the program validate fine as explained on the topografix
      website, but when I try to open them in EasyGPS (or GPS Utility) it
      appears that there's no data there.

      Below is a cut down extract which also validates and doesn't load.
      I would really appreciate it if anyone could suggest something that
      I've missed as I'm fairly new to this.

      Regards

      Andrew

      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="yes"?>
      <gpx
      version = "1.0"
      creator = "CE Moving Map"
      xmlns:xsi = "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
      xmlns = "http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0"
      xmlns:topografix
      = "http://www.topografix.com/GPX/Private/TopoGrafix/0/2"
      xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0
      http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0/gpx.xsd
      http://www.topografix.com/GPX/Private/TopoGrafix/0/2
      http://www.topografix.com/GPX/Private/TopoGrafix/0/2/topografix.xsd">
      <rte>
      <name>Test Route</name>
      <rtept lat="52.1971216666667" lon="0.124701666666667">
      <name>Point 1</name>
      </rtept>
      <rtept lat="52.197135" lon="0.124698333333333">
      <name>Point 2</name>
      </rtept>
      <rtept lat="52.1971483333333" lon="0.124701666666667">
      <name>Point 3</name>
      </rtept>
      <rtept lat="52.1971566666667" lon="0.124695">
      <name>Point 4</name>
      </rtept>
      <rtept lat="52.19716" lon="0.124683333333333">
      <name>Point 5</name>
      </rtept>
      </rte>
      </gpx>
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
        Hello,

        Monday, March 3, 2003, 4:43:35 AM, Andrew wrote:

        a> Hi,

        a> I have written a program for my pocket pc to plot my position and
        a> save the route I've taken as a <rte> in gpx format. The output
        a> files from the program validate fine as explained on the topografix
        a> website, but when I try to open them in EasyGPS (or GPS Utility) it
        a> appears that there's no data there.

        a> Below is a cut down extract which also validates and doesn't load.
        a> I would really appreciate it if anyone could suggest something that
        a> I've missed as I'm fairly new to this.

        a> Regards

        a> Andrew

        a> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="yes"?>
        a> <gpx
        a> version = "1.0"
        a> creator = "CE Moving Map"
        a> xmlns:xsi = "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
        a> xmlns = "http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0"
        a> xmlns:topografix
        a> = "http://www.topografix.com/GPX/Private/TopoGrafix/0/2"
        a> xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0
        a> http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0/gpx.xsd
        a> http://www.topografix.com/GPX/Private/TopoGrafix/0/2
        a> http://www.topografix.com/GPX/Private/TopoGrafix/0/2/topografix.xsd">

        Your GPX file passes the validator test, so it's a legal file.
        EasyGPS is broken. I traced the problem to the spacing around the
        equal sign in lines like version = "1.0" - most XML files are spaced
        this way: version="1.0".

        I fixed the problem in EasyGPS and the rest of my programs.

        By the way, you shouldn't include the TopoGrafix private namespace
        in your files unless you're actually using something from them. (And
        I should probably fix EasyGPS to only include them where needed.)

        Keep us posted on your PocketPC application!

        TopoGrafix - GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps
        http://www.topografix.com - mailto:egroups@...
      • Alan Murphy
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
          Andrew,

          Which version of GPS Utility are you using? I used the current
          standard version of GPSU (4.04.7) to open your extracted file OK.

          If you have a file that does not open in GPSU 4.04.7, then please send
          it me so I can examine the problem.

          Alan Murphy (author GPSU)

          On 4 Mar 2003 09:32:52 -0000, you wrote:
          > Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:43:35 -0000
          > From: "andrew_c_stock <gpx@...>" <gpx@...>
          >Subject: Validated file doesn't open
          >
          >Hi,
          >
          >I have written a program for my pocket pc to plot my position and
          >save the route I've taken as a <rte> in gpx format. The output
          >files from the program validate fine as explained on the topografix
          >website, but when I try to open them in EasyGPS (or GPS Utility) it
          >appears that there's no data there.
          >
          >Below is a cut down extract which also validates and doesn't load.
          >I would really appreciate it if anyone could suggest something that
          >I've missed as I'm fairly new to this.
          >
          >Regards
          >
          >Andrew
        • Andrew Stock
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
            Hi,

            First of all thanks for the support on this!  I have attached a file
            (Route.gpx) which I have tried opening in GPS Utility 4.04.7.  I am not sure
            whether this is just me using the program incorrectly!  I load the file and
            then go to View -> Routes and I get the name "Test Route" appear as one of
            the routes, but under it it just says POINT and has only one.
            I wondered whether this was a limitation of the free version not having so I
            tried with another file with only 5 data points and I can't get this to
            appear.  It's quite possible that I'm mis-using your program!
            Regards

            Andrew
            Which version of GPS Utility are you using?  I used the current
            standard version of GPSU (4.04.7) to open your extracted file OK.

            If you have a file that does not open in GPSU 4.04.7, then please send
            it me so I can examine the problem.

            Alan Murphy  (author GPSU)

            On 4 Mar 2003 09:32:52 -0000, you wrote:
            >   Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:43:35 -0000
            >   From: "andrew_c_stock <gpx@...>" <gpx@...>
            >Subject: Validated file doesn't open
            >
            >Hi,
            >
            >I have written a program for my pocket pc to plot my position and
            >save the route I've taken as a <rte> in gpx format.  The output
            >files from the program validate fine as explained on the topografix
            >website, but when I try to open them in EasyGPS (or GPS Utility) it
            >appears that there's no data there.
            >
            >Below is a cut down extract which also validates and doesn't load.
            >I would really appreciate it if anyone could suggest something that
            >I've missed as I'm fairly new to this.
            >
            >Regards
            >
            >Andrew

          • Alan Murphy
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2003
              Thanks for your files.

              The problem is that default length for Waypoint ID name in GPSU is set
              to 6 characters and GPSU is not changing this default setting on
              reading a GPX file. Thus your waypoints with names 'POINT 1' etc. are
              all being truncated to 'POINT ' (6 chars).

              This is a bug, which I have now fixed. The fix will be in the next
              version which will be released in a day or so. (4.04.8).

              The workarounds are
              1) Select Options|Field Properties in GPSU and manually set the ID
              length to, say, 10 characters. GPSU version 4.04.7 will then read your
              Route2.gpx file.

              2). Write your file with IDs no longer than 6 characters.

              Your 'Route.gpx' file exceeds the capacity limitations of the freeware
              version and so this file cannot be fully read in. (It contains 346
              waypoints).

              Many thanks for the bug report.

              Alan Murphy (author GPSU)