Importing Waypoint Cooridinates from formatted text files

  • oilbaron_99 <interjunk@shaw.ca>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2003
      I don't know if this is the correct group to be posing this
      question. If not, I apologize.

      I need to find a software program or utility (freeware or otherwise)
      to help with the following problem:

      - We want to be able to download data from the Handheld GPS and
      export coordinates (as waypoints) to formated text file to import to
      Mine Modeling/CAD Software. Want to export from Mine Modelling
      Software and upload to Handheld GPS, as well. The driver for this
      solution is to minimize manual coordinate entry (time is money).

      Current Situation:

      - Using Garmin 12XL handheld GPS for rough mining surveying. We
      modified the user grid to work in the mine coordinates (on both GPS
      and MapSource Software). This transformation works well.
      - Example Situation: We have the Drillhole IDs and coordinates in a
      formated text file (Exported from Mine Modelling Software) and want
      to upload the coordinates in order to survey the position using
      handheld GPS.
      - Example Situation: We survey testing locations with IDs (stored as
      waypoints) and we want to download from GPS and import to Mine
      Modelling Software (or potential to database)

      I tried the following programs, and they do not work for my situation:
      - GPS Utility Ver 4.04.6
      - GPS TrackMaker

      Thanks in advance.

      Todd
    • David Hempy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2003
        Doesn't sound like you're doing anything too exceptional.  I would expect most of the mapping software packages can do what you're looking for.

        Take a look at ExpertGPS, available from www.expertGPS.com.  We used it for the 2002 US National Microlight Championships (a flying competition) to download data from GPS data recorders (Garmin eTrex's).  We then exported the tracks to a xml text file and wrote our own software in Perl to analyze the tracks in the xml files and generate scoring information.  Sounds like your needs are similar, if not less demanding.

        You'll love ExpertGPS.  You'll be able to import your own scanned mining maps into the software, or use its USGS maps and aerial photos.

        Let us know if that does or does not answer your question.

        -dave

        ps.  No, I don't work for ExpertGPS!  ;-)

        At 06:24 AM 1/6/2003 +0000, oilbaron_99 <interjunk@...> allegedly wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        David Hempy
        Internet Database Administrator
        Kentucky Educational Television
        (859)258-7164  -  (800)333-9764

      • Kjeld Jensen
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2003
          >I don't know if this is the correct group to be posing this
          >question. If not, I apologize.
          >
          >I need to find a software program or utility (freeware or otherwise)
          >to help with the following problem:

          Take at look at GPS Babel:

          http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpsbabel

          Kjeld