Re: [gpsxml] Extending the public definition of GPX

  • Kjeld Jensen
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 9, 2002
      Hi there

      It's been a while but I definitely haven't lost my interest in GPX.

      >Here are the real questions I have. Answers that start with "Yes" or
      >"No" are appreciated.

      Sorry but I have chosen to forget about the "Yes" and "No" stuff at each
      question and instead tell what I think :-)

      >Should we extend the public definition of GPX to include related sets
      >of information?

      In principle I like the idea of extending the GPX with related information
      like Map calibration and definitely real time positioning information.

      I am no expert into XML but maybe you could help me (and others) a little
      by showing an example for each "information type".

      One thing I like about GPX 1.0 tough is that it is simple to implement if
      you just need to for instance read a waypoint list or a track.

      To the extent possible I believe we should try to maintain this simplicity
      for those who only need the data sets available in 1.0 and therefore I like
      the idea of different vocabularies (one basic that represents 1.0, one for
      map calibration info and one for real time positioning info).

      Bottom line is "yes" but I would like to see some examples written by those
      of you who knows more about XML than I do :-)

      Kjeld

      Kjeld Jensen
      N 55° 22' E 10° 24'
      Email: kjeld@...