Re: ANN: a GPX reader/writer.

  • Robert Lipe
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6, 2002
      Robert Lipe wrote:

      > GPS Babel is a free (in both senses) utlity to read and write waypoints
      > in a variety of forms. GPX input and output works well. Other backends
      > include Magellan serial protocol, Geocaching.com *.loc, GPSMan, Garmin
      > PCX5 for Mapsource, Magellan Mapsend, gpsutil, Census Bureau Tiger, and
      > CSV for S&A 9.

      [ blah blah blah ]

      > It has a temporary home at:

      It now has a permanent home. (Well, as permanent as anything gets on
      the web.) It will disappear from the temporary location in coming days.

      Dan, please add GPSBabel at

      http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/

      to the list of programs that read and write GPX.

      Enjoy.
      RJL
    • kurwellness
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
        Hi Robert (and Group),

        I am searching for a way to convert gps-formats in realtime
        on a webserver (with php for example).
        Are there plans (in this group) to port the quite proprietary
        'needs to compile' format in C to some web-scripting like
        php which can run in your webserver.

        I think, the logik for converting all formats to gpx and back
        to any format are inside of the gpsbabel c-sources and could be
        reprogrammed in php, for easy use with a webserver.
        (kind of converter before download).
        It sounds like reeinventing the wheel.

        Has somebody tried to run the gpsbabel(.exe) as a cgi-programm
        on a linux (e.g. apache-webserver). would be nice to hear about.

        Otherwise I play with the idea to have a litte php-converter
        for the files, which define Templates or Rules for

        read format( 'you name it' ) => save as gpx
        read format( gpx ) => save as format( 'you name it' )

        the funktion for fileopen etc. would be needed only once.
        in the script you would call.

        convert_to_gpx( 'format-x' , 'filename-in', 'filename-out' );
        convert_from_gpx ( 'format-x' , 'filename' , 'filename-out' );

        if you want to convert from format-a to format-b you would do
        something like.

        [? php

        php-stuff..
        ..
        convert_to_gpx( 'format-a' , 'input.txt', 'temp.gpx' );
        convert_from_gpx( 'format-b' , 'temp.gpx' , 'out.txt' );
        ..
        some more php stuff...

        ?]

        cool or stupid ? ;)

        greetings,
        Daniel

        --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lipe <robertlipe@u...> wrote:

        > I'll give this group a little head start on a program I'm releasing
        in
        > the hopes that a group of programmers will be kinder to their own.
        :-)

        > GPS Babel is a free (in both senses) utlity to read and write
        waypoints
        > in a variety of forms. GPX input and output works well. Other
        backends
        > include Magellan serial protocol, Geocaching.com *.loc, GPSMan,
        Garmin
        > PCX5 for Mapsource, Magellan Mapsend, gpsutil, Census Bureau Tiger,
        and
        > CSV for S&A 9.
        >
        > It works on POSIXy operating systems and is ISO C. I've run it on
        > OpenUNIX 8, Solaris 8, UnixWare 7, OpenServer 5, Linux, and Cygwin.
        > (Non-Intel processors choke on Magellan's Mapsend files becuase of
        > silliness involving FP formats.) Ports to OSes that start with an
        "M"
        > are welcome as long as they don't gunk up the code too much. Other
        > contributions or comments are similarly welcome. The output
        validates
        > OK, and I've successfully interchanged data with EasyGPS, demos of
        > ExpertGPS.
        >
        > The code seems solid enough and I've used it to process a few
        thousand
        > waypoints of differing kinds. Things like doc, web pages, and such
        are
        > sort of shaky. That's the only reason for the downgraded "sub 1.0"
        > version number.
        >
        > It has a temporary home at:
        >
        > http://robertlipe.0catch.com/gpsbabel/index.html
        >
        > I'll move it somewhere else within a few days.
        >
        > RJL
      • kurwellness
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
          Hi,

          perhaps interesting for somebody....

          I managed to run the gpsbabel via webserver (kind of cgi)
          in realtime:

          http://www.tourismusdirekt.com/service/gps/gpsbabel.php

          On the page you can see how it works.

          The gpsbabel-source was compiled on a linux-server
          (gpsbabel.sourceforge.net) with "./make" in the directory of
          source-file and the resulting binary copied to /usr/local/bin

          Then the script is called via "system()" in a php-page.

          You need rights to execute scripts or even commands via system
          and the right to read and write in a directory (not every hoster
          allows this!)

          This means for websites you can convert files on-the-fly online where
          the
          www-user does not need to have the gpsbabel executable.

          Greetings
          Daniel

        • Robert Lipe
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
            kurwellness wrote:

            > I am searching for a way to convert gps-formats in realtime
            > on a webserver (with php for example).
            > Are there plans (in this group) to port the quite proprietary
            > 'needs to compile' format in C to some web-scripting like

            "Quite proprietary"? It's totally portable ISO C and runs on dozens of
            platforms without modifications.

            > I think, the logik for converting all formats to gpx and back to any
            > format are inside of the gpsbabel c-sources and could be reprogrammed
            > in php, for easy use with a webserver. (kind of converter before
            > download). It sounds like reeinventing the wheel.

            That would be so backwards. After all the work to reimplement it in
            another language, you'd functionally have exactly what you started with,
            but you've now shouldered the maintenance burden.

            If you want to do this on a webserver, build up the command line from
            your forms, shell out to the executable running on the server, and
            capture the output. It's been done by a couple of folks. Here's one
            such example: http://www.wayhoo.com

            RJL