Re: [gpsxml] Re: ANN: a GPX reader/writer.

  • Jason Poulter
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 30, 2002
      i have all ready reversed engineered the TOPO format and garmins
      MAPSOURCE file formats. i use those programs the most myself and wanted
      to be able to use them for my geocaching site.

      TOPO actually uses bilinear interpolation which was quite a pain... but
      i got a little help from one of the engineers in the right direction.

      if you want to take a look at what my code outputs get and idea take a
      look at my site http://www.azgeocaching.com

      if ya would like i could help contribute the code to the project...
      it is in php right now...

      jason poulter

    • Joel E. Williams, Jr.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 30, 2002
        Jason:

        I could really use that code in php.  I'm trying to put together a page where folks can input their waypoints and download their waypoints now.  That input/output should be converted to EasyGPS so they can use Dan's program to upload/download to their GPS.  That would sure save a lot of time.

        Thanks in advance,

        Joel E. Williams, Jr.
        www.coastaloutdoors.com

        davewissenbach wrote:
> [...]
        >  > OK, and I've successfully interchanged data with EasyGPS, demos of
        >  > ExpertGPS.
        >  >
        >  > The code seems solid enough and I've used it to process a few
        > thousand
        >  > waypoints of differing kinds.  Things like doc, web pages, and
        > such are
        >  > sort of shaky.  That's the only reason for the downgraded "sub 1.0"
        >  > version number.
        >  >
        >  > It has a temporary home at:
        >  >
        >  >       http://robertlipe.0catch.com/gpsbabel/index.html
        >  >
        >  > I'll move it somewhere else within a few days.
        >  >
        >  > RJL
        >

        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        > Click here to visit our exclusive feature of ACUVUE2 Colours at

      • Robert Lipe
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 30, 2002
          Jason Poulter wrote:

          > i have all ready reversed engineered the TOPO format and garmins
          > MAPSOURCE file formats. i use those programs the most myself and

          If you can provide doc or sample code (I can read most languages, but
          might need help with some details) I'd be very interested in Mapsource
          format.

          > look at my site [1]http://www.azgeocaching.com

          Seeet.

          > if ya would like i could help contribute the code to the project...
          > it is in php right now...

          Bring it on!

          I'll have this on Sourceforge in the next couple of days.

          RJL
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 31, 2002
            Hello,

            and then on Tuesday, July 30, 2002, 2:37:41 PM, Robert wrote:
            RL> If you can provide doc or sample code (I can read most languages, but
            RL> might need help with some details) I'd be very interested in Mapsource
            RL> format.

            Since there seem to be a number of us working on import/export of
            various file formats, and since we are working on many different
            platforms (Palm, Linux, Windows, Mac...) and in many different languages
            (PHP, ASP, C...) I'd like to join Robert in asking for a sharing of
            knowledge. Source code is good, but documentation of the file format
            is probably more useful since we've all got different programming
            requirements and backgrounds. I'd like to propose that we write up
            some quick descriptions of the file formats we know and put them up on
            the web "for the benefit of humanity". I can contribute Topo! .tpg
            and MapTech .mxf, and maybe some others.

            I'll offer to host some of the files on my website, but due to DMCA
            nonsense, I'd suggest that file formats with even the most basic of
            "encryption" be kept on servers outside the US. Any volunteers from
            saner nations?

            TopoGrafix - GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps
            http://www.topografix.com - mailto:egroups@...
          • Jason Poulter
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 31, 2002
              ya that sounds like a good idea... i will write up the file description
              for TOPO and MAPSOURCE....

              Dan I did notice that your TOPO algorithm is a little bit off... you
              loose a couple of digits of precision in your conversion... with a
              little help from one of the engineers and National Geographic I was able
              to get my algorithm, to what i've tested, actually match theirs...
              havent heard any complaints from my users about it being bad either.

              so we might want to go with mine, or merge the two or something?

              Dan where should we send them? to your email?

              jason poulter

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 31, 2002
                Hello Jason,

                JP> ya that sounds like a good idea... i will write up the file description
                JP> for TOPO and MAPSOURCE....

                JP> Dan I did notice that your TOPO algorithm is a little bit off... you
                JP> loose a couple of digits of precision in your conversion... with a
                JP> little help from one of the engineers and National Geographic I was able
                JP> to get my algorithm, to what i've tested, actually match theirs...
                JP> havent heard any complaints from my users about it being bad either.

                JP> so we might want to go with mine, or merge the two or something?

                I'll be interested to see how yours works. It's been a few years
                since I wrote mine, so perhaps it needs an update.

                JP> Dan where should we send them? to your email?

                You can send them to this email address: egroups@...

                Robert already sent me links to several formats - I'm quoting his
                email below. I'll throw together a webpage to hold all this sometime
                next week.

                From Robert:
                Magellan's Serial Protocol is
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/m330/files/Magellan%20protocol%202-7.doc

                Magellan Mapsend is
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/m330/files/MapSend%20Formats.doc

                Note that whay they call a "String" has a one byte value containing
                the length of the following (non-null terminated) string. Yes, this
                means their strings can only be 255 bytes long and makes it hard to
                represent in C.

                GPSMan is
                http://www.ncc.up.pt/~mig/gpsmanhtml/manual/html/GPSMandoc.html
                under "Files"

                GPSUtil is
                http://www.cs.uakron.edu/~hennings/gpsutil
                Version 0.10 has a very simple file format of fixed length fields separated
                by a single space.
                [1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ] [ 5 ][6]
                BNAGqltI 3607.888N 8654.238W 0M BNA Geoquilt II Cache Stash a

                [1] Eight characters for waypoint name. Must be "Magellan-legal".
                [2] Lattitude*100, followed up uppercase hemi.
                [3] Longitude*100, followed up uppercase hemi.
                [4] Altitutde in meters. Must be followed by "M".
                [5] 28 characters of waypoint comment
                [6] Icon token in Magellan format.

                Garmin's PCX5 is described in:
                http://www.garmin.com/manuals/pcx5.pdf

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 6, 2002
                  Robert Lipe wrote:

                  > GPS Babel is a free (in both senses) utlity to read and write waypoints
                  > in a variety of forms. GPX input and output works well. Other backends
                  > include Magellan serial protocol, Geocaching.com *.loc, GPSMan, Garmin
                  > PCX5 for Mapsource, Magellan Mapsend, gpsutil, Census Bureau Tiger, and
                  > CSV for S&A 9.

                  [ blah blah blah ]

                  > It has a temporary home at:

                  It now has a permanent home. (Well, as permanent as anything gets on
                  the web.) It will disappear from the temporary location in coming days.

                  Dan, please add GPSBabel at

                  http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/

                  to the list of programs that read and write GPX.

                  Enjoy.
                  RJL
                • kurwellness
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
                    Hi Robert (and Group),

                    I am searching for a way to convert gps-formats in realtime
                    on a webserver (with php for example).
                    Are there plans (in this group) to port the quite proprietary
                    'needs to compile' format in C to some web-scripting like
                    php which can run in your webserver.

                    I think, the logik for converting all formats to gpx and back
                    to any format are inside of the gpsbabel c-sources and could be
                    reprogrammed in php, for easy use with a webserver.
                    (kind of converter before download).
                    It sounds like reeinventing the wheel.

                    Has somebody tried to run the gpsbabel(.exe) as a cgi-programm
                    on a linux (e.g. apache-webserver). would be nice to hear about.

                    Otherwise I play with the idea to have a litte php-converter
                    for the files, which define Templates or Rules for

                    read format( 'you name it' ) => save as gpx
                    read format( gpx ) => save as format( 'you name it' )

                    the funktion for fileopen etc. would be needed only once.
                    in the script you would call.

                    convert_to_gpx( 'format-x' , 'filename-in', 'filename-out' );
                    convert_from_gpx ( 'format-x' , 'filename' , 'filename-out' );

                    if you want to convert from format-a to format-b you would do
                    something like.

                    [? php

                    php-stuff..
                    ..
                    convert_to_gpx( 'format-a' , 'input.txt', 'temp.gpx' );
                    convert_from_gpx( 'format-b' , 'temp.gpx' , 'out.txt' );
                    ..
                    some more php stuff...

                    ?]

                    cool or stupid ? ;)

                    greetings,
                    Daniel

                    --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lipe <robertlipe@u...> wrote:

                    > I'll give this group a little head start on a program I'm releasing
                    in
                    > the hopes that a group of programmers will be kinder to their own.
                    :-)

                    > GPS Babel is a free (in both senses) utlity to read and write
                    waypoints
                    > in a variety of forms. GPX input and output works well. Other
                    backends
                    > include Magellan serial protocol, Geocaching.com *.loc, GPSMan,
                    Garmin
                    > PCX5 for Mapsource, Magellan Mapsend, gpsutil, Census Bureau Tiger,
                    and
                    > CSV for S&A 9.
                    >
                    > It works on POSIXy operating systems and is ISO C. I've run it on
                    > OpenUNIX 8, Solaris 8, UnixWare 7, OpenServer 5, Linux, and Cygwin.
                    > (Non-Intel processors choke on Magellan's Mapsend files becuase of
                    > silliness involving FP formats.) Ports to OSes that start with an
                    "M"
                    > are welcome as long as they don't gunk up the code too much. Other
                    > contributions or comments are similarly welcome. The output
                    validates
                    > OK, and I've successfully interchanged data with EasyGPS, demos of
                    > ExpertGPS.
                    >
                    > The code seems solid enough and I've used it to process a few
                    thousand
                    > waypoints of differing kinds. Things like doc, web pages, and such
                    are
                    > sort of shaky. That's the only reason for the downgraded "sub 1.0"
                    > version number.
                    >
                    > It has a temporary home at:
                    >
                    > http://robertlipe.0catch.com/gpsbabel/index.html
                    >
                    > I'll move it somewhere else within a few days.
                    >
                    > RJL
                  • kurwellness
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
                      Hi,

                      perhaps interesting for somebody....

                      I managed to run the gpsbabel via webserver (kind of cgi)
                      in realtime:

                      http://www.tourismusdirekt.com/service/gps/gpsbabel.php

                      On the page you can see how it works.

                      The gpsbabel-source was compiled on a linux-server
                      (gpsbabel.sourceforge.net) with "./make" in the directory of
                      source-file and the resulting binary copied to /usr/local/bin

                      Then the script is called via "system()" in a php-page.

                      You need rights to execute scripts or even commands via system
                      and the right to read and write in a directory (not every hoster
                      allows this!)

                      This means for websites you can convert files on-the-fly online where
                      the
                      www-user does not need to have the gpsbabel executable.

                      Greetings
                      Daniel

                    • Robert Lipe
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
                        kurwellness wrote:

                        > I am searching for a way to convert gps-formats in realtime
                        > on a webserver (with php for example).
                        > Are there plans (in this group) to port the quite proprietary
                        > 'needs to compile' format in C to some web-scripting like

                        "Quite proprietary"? It's totally portable ISO C and runs on dozens of
                        platforms without modifications.

                        > I think, the logik for converting all formats to gpx and back to any
                        > format are inside of the gpsbabel c-sources and could be reprogrammed
                        > in php, for easy use with a webserver. (kind of converter before
                        > download). It sounds like reeinventing the wheel.

                        That would be so backwards. After all the work to reimplement it in
                        another language, you'd functionally have exactly what you started with,
                        but you've now shouldered the maintenance burden.

                        If you want to do this on a webserver, build up the command line from
                        your forms, shell out to the executable running on the server, and
                        capture the output. It's been done by a couple of folks. Here's one
                        such example: http://www.wayhoo.com

                        RJL