Class Project

  • Leslie Elieff
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 24, 2012
      Hello,

      I am a newbie web developer of 5 months. I'm still in school and
      trying to figure out a final project.

      I wanted to make a website that people could go to and punch in their
      location and see what stores and business where close to where they
      lived. Sort of like "hey, whats around the corner?

      So I'm thinking I would filter and stream the data from an GPSXML
      file, and then design an interface, link up all the data and hey, I
      like that idea.

      Does anyone think this is possible to do? Never mind the only have 3
      weeks to do it, but yes, this is my query...

      Cheers
      Leslie
    • simbateman
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2012
        Well there are a couple tricks to making that work. Are people really going to type in their gps coords or are they more likely to put in an address. If you are a web developer you can use the new browsers api to ask for their location, or do it as a mobile application and use the device location.

        The second problem is that you have to actually have a list of places near somewhere. Luckily there are services that will do that for you. But I am sure that as part of your project you are supposed to be building a database and all that jazz, not just using foursquares venues api.

        But what you are suggesting is a couple hour project with the right tools. At least to get to a basic prototype. Lots of time can be spent refining features and the UI. But to get a list of stuff near your location is super simple.

        sim

        --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, Leslie Elieff <lesliee@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I am a newbie web developer of 5 months. I'm still in school and
        > trying to figure out a final project.
        >
        > I wanted to make a website that people could go to and punch in their
        > location and see what stores and business where close to where they
        > lived. Sort of like "hey, whats around the corner?
        >
        > So I'm thinking I would filter and stream the data from an GPSXML
        > file, and then design an interface, link up all the data and hey, I
        > like that idea.
        >
        > Does anyone think this is possible to do? Never mind the only have 3
        > weeks to do it, but yes, this is my query...
        >
        > Cheers
        > Leslie

      • Joshua Judson Rosen
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2012
          Leslie Elieff <lesliee@...> writes:

          > I am a newbie web developer of 5 months. I'm still in school and
          > trying to figure out a final project.
          >
          > I wanted to make a website that people could go to and punch in their
          > location and see what stores and business where close to where they
          > lived. Sort of like "hey, whats around the corner?

          OK, so you want to make a web UI that basically hooks into a database
          (e.g.: a table storing name, type, lat, lon), does a simple query,
          and either lists or plots the results? That sounds like a pretty
          straight-forward project. But...:

          > So I'm thinking I would filter and stream the data from an GPSXML
          > file, and then design an interface, link up all the data and hey, I
          > like that idea.

          I'm not sure where GPX fits into this project. Are you thinking of
          using a GPX file (containing waypoints?) as your *database*? I guess
          you could do that, but it seems a little silly--from your description,
          it sounds like you'd probably be better off using a SQL database
          like PostgreSQL, MySQL, or SQLite. Unless you have a requirement
          that your project must involve parsing XML, even a plain text-file
          might actually be a better choice for a `database'--at least, it
          would be easier to parse.

        • Leslie Elieff
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2012
            Hi Joshua,

            Thank you for your response, but my teacher negated this idea.

            On 5-Aug-12, at 6:46 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:

            > Leslie Elieff <lesliee@...> writes:
            > >
            > > I am a newbie web developer of 5 months. I'm still in school and
            > > trying to figure out a final project.
            > >
            > > I wanted to make a website that people could go to and punch in
            > their
            > > location and see what stores and business where close to where they
            > > lived. Sort of like "hey, whats around the corner?
            >
            > OK, so you want to make a web UI that basically hooks into a database
            > (e.g.: a table storing name, type, lat, lon), does a simple query,
            > and either lists or plots the results? That sounds like a pretty
            > straight-forward project. But...:
            >
            > > So I'm thinking I would filter and stream the data from an GPSXML
            > > file, and then design an interface, link up all the data and hey, I
            > > like that idea.
            >
            > I'm not sure where GPX fits into this project. Are you thinking of
            > using a GPX file (containing waypoints?) as your *database*? I guess
            > you could do that, but it seems a little silly--from your description,
            > it sounds like you'd probably be better off using a SQL database
            > like PostgreSQL, MySQL, or SQLite. Unless you have a requirement
            > that your project must involve parsing XML, even a plain text-file
            > might actually be a better choice for a `database'--at least, it
            > would be easier to parse.
            >
            > --
            > "Don't be afraid to ask (λf.((λx.xx) (λr.f(rr))))."

          • WARREN PORTER
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6, 2012
              This might give you some ideas if you are required to read a gpx file for your data. My webpage reads a formatted gpx file (pasted from the clipboard) into a text area (created by MapSource, i.e.) and locates the closest TRACK points to the designated coordinates. By formatted, be sure the (/.....) fields (really lt & gt symbols) are followed by a line feed.

              Of course you will be looking at waypoints instead of trackpoints and will have to store information about each one. Regular expressions are used to identify necessary information.

              http://home.comcast.net/~wporter211/realsite/neargpx.htm
            • lesliee@rogers.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 11, 2012
                Dear Group,

                Thank you for all who replied, I didn't think I would get responses. lol

                I am onto another project now, the latter discarded. This project is much simpler within my grasp using classes with AS3.

                Thanks again for your answers.