Re: [gpsxml] Waypoint name, cmt and desc size

  • Robert Lipe
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2012
      On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:14 AM, nomad9@... <
      nomad9@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I am completely new to this format and I'm trying to establish if there is
      > a limit or advisable size (number of characters)for the name, cmt and desc
      > elements for a waypoint entry? Any guidance would be appreciated.

      There is not a prescribed limit in the spec as different devices have
      different limitations. For example, if you want to maximize your support
      traffic, ensure that all waypoint names are at least 4096 characters long,
      are not unique, and use as much of the Unicode space as possible.

      It really is up to the other end (the end that isn't GPX) to know about and
      enforce things like "number of routepoints in a route" or "must be
      uppercase letters and digits only".