GPS receiver-to server protocol standardization

  • wolfhall
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2012
      I am curious if anyone has seen a push for standardization of the many real-time protocols to get GPS data from in-vehicle receivers to a server. I only have seen proprietary protocols such as TAIP, RAP, PVT, etc. It seems to me that there are as many protocols as device manufacturers.

      Customers frequently ask what standard protocols they should look for in AVL devices. Since GPX does not include server addressing and has a larger bandwidth need than some of the binary protocols I don't have a good answer for them. Does anybody have seen any standardization or something that may be worth promoting?

      Wolfgang
    • Robert Lipe
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2012
        Binary XML is easy if that's a problem you need to solve. I can't say it's
        been a topi of much discussion on this list.

        Garmin has PVT, but I've never even heard of the others you cite.

        RJL