detecting pauses

  • boscomonkey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2011
      Is there a standard algorithm for detecting pauses in GPX files?

      The use case is that RunKeeper (iPhone & Android app at runkeeper.com) doesn't pause users when they are stuck at a traffic light. Since RunKeeper lack that feature, I want to download the GPX for my run, detect the pauses, write another GPX with the pauses in place, and upload back to the RunKeeper site.

      Then I have a view of my total run time and a view of when I'm actually running.

      -- Bosco
    • Robert Lipe
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2011
        On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM, boscomonkey <tri@...> wrote:

        > Is there a standard algorithm for detecting pauses in GPX files?

        Lots of programs do this differently. You can denoise, look for low speed,
        look for clumps in proximity, etc. Filtering really depends ont he data
        you and vs. the data you want. Such filtering really is outside the scope
        of GPX.

        The use case is that RunKeeper (iPhone & Android app at runkeeper.com)
        > doesn't pause users when they are stuck at a traffic light. Since RunKeeper
        > lack that feature, I want to download the GPX for my run, detect the pauses,
        > write another GPX with the pauses in place, and upload back to the RunKeeper
        > site.
        >
        > Then I have a view of my total run time and a view of when I'm actually
        > running.

        GPSBabel's track filter could bust them into separate tracks or track
        segments after you provide the threesholds, but it won't create multiple
        files of independent segments.

        RJL