getting started with GPX

  • cmarkc2001
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
      I'm a developer working in Visual Studio 2008 (VB) and i need to build a windows forms program that will:

      open a gpx file
      extract the waypoints, routes, and tracks
      make changes if necessary
      write the new data back to the gpx file, and save it to the gps unit.

      I'm working primarily with Garmin and Magellan, but Garmin first.

      I'm really having trouble finding out how to get started. I have stacks of books on XML, but nothing on how to apply the theory to .gpx files. What's the best way to get started? Are there any sample projects anywhere? There are xml and gpx specifications all over, but no info on how to work with it in a VB project.

      Can anyone help?

      thanks
      Mark c
      Phoenix
    • Sunburned Surveyor
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
        Mark,

        I don't think there is an existing library for .Net to work with GPX files,
        at least not one that is open source. I built an open source library to
        parse GPX files, but it is written in Java. If it will help you to look at
        the source code, you can find it here:

        http://surveyos.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/surveyos/java/gpx/branches/20081114-Release/

        Take a look at the code, and then let me know if you need some more
        direction.

        The Sunburned Surveyor
        On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:20 PM, cmarkc2001 <markc@...> wrote:

        > I'm a developer working in Visual Studio 2008 (VB) and i need to build a
        > windows forms program that will:
        >
        > open a gpx file
        > extract the waypoints, routes, and tracks
        > make changes if necessary
        > write the new data back to the gpx file, and save it to the gps unit.
        >
        > I'm working primarily with Garmin and Magellan, but Garmin first.
        >
        > I'm really having trouble finding out how to get started. I have stacks of
        > books on XML, but nothing on how to apply the theory to .gpx files. What's
        > the best way to get started? Are there any sample projects anywhere? There
        > are xml and gpx specifications all over, but no info on how to work with it
        > in a VB project.
        >
        > Can anyone help?
        >
        > thanks
        > Mark c
        > Phoenix

      • kazokuda
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
          GPX is pretty straight forward XML and there should be a few libraries built right in to VB to make it easy to parse them.

          I have an open source GeoTagger app that I've written (in C#) that parses out track points from a GPX file. It isn't VB, but it is .NET and a starting point (at least for reading).

          http://code.google.com/p/geotagger/source/browse/trunk/Geotagger/GPSTrack.cs

          I don't know much VB, but the .NET libraries should be similar, and this code uses an XmlTextReader to parse through the file (reads the file once and copies the data into another structure for faster access). I'm sure there is also a DOM based library (XmlDocument?) that you can use to query the contents of the file.

          Worst case, search for "VB XML" and I'm sure you will find lots of ways to parse a GPX/XML file.

          Saving it back to the GPS unit is a totally different problem.

          --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, "cmarkc2001" <markc@...> wrote:

          > I'm a developer working in Visual Studio 2008 (VB) and i need to build a windows forms program that will:
          >
          > open a gpx file
          > extract the waypoints, routes, and tracks
          > make changes if necessary
          > write the new data back to the gpx file, and save it to the gps unit.
          >
          > I'm working primarily with Garmin and Magellan, but Garmin first.
          >
          > I'm really having trouble finding out how to get started. I have stacks of books on XML, but nothing on how to apply the theory to .gpx files. What's the best way to get started? Are there any sample projects anywhere? There are xml and gpx specifications all over, but no info on how to work with it in a VB project.
          >
          > Can anyone help?
          >
          > thanks
          > Mark c
          > Phoenix

        • mark
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
            Thanks for your response. I will have a look at It over the weekend. This
            forum has been most helpful, and I appreciate it.

            Mark c.

            I don't think there is an existing library for .Net to work with GPX files,
            at least not one that is open source. I built an open source library to
            parse GPX files, but it is written in Java. If it will help you to look at
            the source code, you can find it here:

            http://surveyos.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/surveyos/java/gpx/branches/200811
            14-Release/

            Take a look at the code, and then let me know if you need some more
            direction.

            The Sunburned Surveyor
            On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:20 PM, cmarkc2001 <markc@...> wrote:

            > I'm a developer working in Visual Studio 2008 (VB) and i need to build a
            > windows forms program that will:
            >
            > open a gpx file
            > extract the waypoints, routes, and tracks
            > make changes if necessary
            > write the new data back to the gpx file, and save it to the gps unit.
            >
            > I'm working primarily with Garmin and Magellan, but Garmin first.
            >
            > I'm really having trouble finding out how to get started. I have stacks of
            > books on XML, but nothing on how to apply the theory to .gpx files. What's
            > the best way to get started? Are there any sample projects anywhere? There
            > are xml and gpx specifications all over, but no info on how to work with
            it
            > in a VB project.
            >
            > Can anyone help?
            >
            > thanks
            > Mark c
            > Phoenix

          • Alan
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2010
              I used xsd.exe to generate the attached class definition which allowed me to
              use the XmlSerializer class to parse (deserialize) GPX (ver 1.1) files.

              That's fine for reading and writing, but it won't help you upload them to a
              GPS device - you're on your own there.

              Cheers,

              _____

              --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com <mailto:gpsxml%40yahoogroups.com> ,
              "cmarkc2001" <markc@...> wrote:

              > I'm a developer working in Visual Studio 2008 (VB) and i need to build a
              windows forms program that will:

              > open a gpx file
              > extract the waypoints, routes, and tracks
              > make changes if necessary
              > write the new data back to the gpx file, and save it to the gps unit.
              >
              > I'm working primarily with Garmin and Magellan, but Garmin first.
              >
              > I'm really having trouble finding out how to get started. I have stacks of
              books on XML, but nothing on how to apply the theory to .gpx files. What's
              the best way to get started? Are there any sample projects anywhere? There
              are xml and gpx specifications all over, but no info on how to work with it
              in a VB project.

              > Can anyone help?
              >
              > thanks
              > Mark c
              > Phoenix

            • gps_dr Prehn
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2010
                Visual studio 2008 includes a feature called LinQ. It allows you to process data via SQL like queries.
                You can suck in a GPX file in one statement and parse in whatever way you like. The Help function in Visual studio should show you videos etc on how to work with XML in an eaiser manner. I used it to read/write gpx files to allow me to translate waypoint symbols between vendors and model lines. Also wrote code to edit waypoints, process user settings etc. Also plan to write KML for better translation to Google earth, and maybe write spreadsheet data for documentation. Haven't touched visual Basic in a couple years, nor used it beyond class assignments.
                Good Luck

              • cmarkc2001
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6, 2010
                  can you help me out a bit more - i'm new to xml. Some of the code referes to a gpxtype:

                  Dim Myserializer As XmlSerializer = New XmlSerializer(GetType(gpxType))

                  what is the gpxType, and where do i get it?

                  thanks
                  mark c.

                  --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <smithalan@...> wrote:

                  > I used xsd.exe to generate the attached class definition which allowed me to
                  > use the XmlSerializer class to parse (deserialize) GPX (ver 1.1) files.
                  >
                  > That's fine for reading and writing, but it won't help you upload them to a
                  > GPS device - you're on your own there.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >

                  > _____

                • dananderson2
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 9, 2010
                    "gpxType" is the gpx data.

                    I suggest you read through the schema documentation...

                    http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/

                    Dan