Questions about waypoints

  • larry_godin
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2010
      Hi all,

      I have some questions about waypoints.

      1) In the GPX documentation I read that the <type> tag (an xsd:string) is the used for the "classification of the waypoint." But are there some standard types? I need to create a file that is compatible with most existing softwares (mainly Google Earth)...

      2) Same question for the <sym> tag (an xsd:string). It is the "Text of GPS symbol name." But are there some standard symbol names? Google Earth recognize it?

      3) I need to add some photos to some waypoints. What is the standard method? Can I use the <link> tag? But if I use it, Google Earth recognize it?

      Thank you very much.

      - Larry
    • Robert Lipe
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2010
        On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:44 AM, larry_godin <larry_godin@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have some questions about waypoints.
        >
        > 1) In the GPX documentation I read that the <type> tag (an xsd:string) is
        > the used for the "classification of the waypoint." But are there some
        > standard types? I need to create a file that is compatible with most
        > existing softwares (mainly Google Earth)...
        >
        > 2) Same question for the <sym> tag (an xsd:string). It is the "Text of GPS
        > symbol name." But are there some standard symbol names? Google Earth
        > recognize it?
        >
        > 3) I need to add some photos to some waypoints. What is the standard
        > method? Can I use the <link> tag? But if I use it, Google Earth recognize
        > it?

        I could answer in the abstract, but since your questions seem to pivot
        around Google Earth and I'm the author of Earth's GPX reader, I'll do
        specifics.

        1) <type> is not used.
        2) <sym> becomes an IconStyle in KML iff it looks like an URL, either file
        or web-based.
        3) <link> will get brought in as clickable links inside the balloon.
        That's probably not as robust for geotagging as you'd want.

        If you're looking to deliver a robust multimedia experience and Earth is
        your primary target, GPX is probably a distraction. KML is also an open
        standard and reasonably easy to create. GPX really is about exchanging
        GPS-style data. That definition has evolved a bit over time, but if you're
        really wanting to have control over the artwork associated with a mark,
        camera angles, pictures, sounds, and movies, etc. and your primary target is
        Earth, I'd just go straight to KML.

        Google Earth reads GPX by using the open source GPSBabel to convert to KML.

      • Simon Slavin
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2010
          On 10 Feb 2010, at 12:44pm, larry_godin wrote:

          > I have some questions about waypoints.
          >
          > 1) In the GPX documentation I read that the <type> tag (an xsd:string) is the used for the "classification of the waypoint." But are there some standard types? I need to create a file that is compatible with most existing softwares (mainly Google Earth)...

          There is no standardisation of the 'type' tag at all. My recommendation is not to include it. Some packages use it for internal purposes.

          > 2) Same question for the <sym> tag (an xsd:string). It is the "Text of GPS symbol name." But are there some standard symbol names? Google Earth recognize it?

          Here are two versions of an old standard from old Garmin models:

          http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.3.0/GarminIcons.html
          http://home.online.no/~sigurdhu/12MAP_symbols.htm

          There is no real standard, but many devices will understand a superset of the text values seen on those pages.

          > 3) I need to add some photos to some waypoints. What is the standard method? Can I use the <link> tag? But if I use it, Google Earth recognize it?

          There is no standard way to associate an image with a waypoint. Some packages have their own way of designating an image, either by including all the image bits in an encoded form, or by including a URL or filename. But there's no one standard that all GPX-using software understands. If you are worried specifically about Google Earth, consult the documentation for Google Earth's handing of GPX.

          Simon.
        • larry_godin
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 10, 2010
            > I could answer in the abstract, but since your questions seem to
            > pivot around Google Earth and I'm the author of Earth's GPX
            > reader, I'll do specifics.
            >
            > 1) <type> is not used.
            > 2) <sym> becomes an IconStyle in KML iff it looks like an URL, either file
            > or web-based.
            > 3) <link> will get brought in as clickable links inside the balloon.
            > That's probably not as robust for geotagging as you'd want.
            >
            > If you're looking to deliver a robust multimedia experience
            > and Earth is your primary target, GPX is probably a distraction.
            > KML is also an open standard and reasonably easy to create.
            > GPX really is about exchanging GPS-style data. That definition
            > has evolved a bit over time, but if you're really wanting to
            > have control over the artwork associated with a mark,
            > camera angles, pictures, sounds, and movies, etc. and your primary
            > target is Earth, I'd just go straight to KML.
            >
            > Google Earth reads GPX by using the open source GPSBabel to
            > convert to KML.

            Dear Robert,

            thank you for your answer: it was a great help for me.

            In my project I cannot use KML, but only GPX, so I wrote to this group. However, I want to be sure that the exported files were readable by all users, even those less interested in GPS, and everyone has on their computer Google Earth :-)

            I tried what you told me you about the <sym> and <link> tags in Google Earth: they have worked perfectly, but only with remote URL, not filesystem paths. Instead, in my project the waypoint's photos are on the filesystem... Are there solutions?

            Said so, if you want to give me the "more abstract answers" I would be very happy, because I prefer to be GPX-compliant.

            Thank you very much!

            - Larry
          • Robert Lipe
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 10, 2010
              On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 9:18 AM, larry_godin <larry_godin@...> wrote:

              > In my project I cannot use KML, but only GPX, so I wrote to this group.
              > However, I want to be sure that the exported files were readable by all
              > users, even those less interested in GPS, and everyone has on their computer
              > Google Earth :-)

              That's fine. It's just that over and over, you asked about Earth
              specifically.

              I tried what you told me you about the <sym> and <link> tags in Google
              > Earth: they have worked perfectly, but only with remote URL, not filesystem
              > paths. Instead, in my project the waypoint's photos are on the filesystem...
              > Are there solutions?

              All urls should work. file://path/to/my/pic.jpg should work. Of course,
              distributing a gpx with references to your home directory isn't exactly
              going to to work very well for others.

              The more abstract answer to most of your questions is "it depends". In
              general, readers have a great latitude how they interpret fields and writers
              are encouraged to be conservative in what they put in the fields.

              <sym>House</sym>
              are both valid. If you're round-tripping from host software to one GPS,
              you'll probably only see one of those. If you're sending from a Garmin
              (which has one) to a Magellan (which has the other) you may be in for a
              bumpy ride. Earth, as an internet-connected entity, has a great deal of
              latitude on what it can display as an icon, so a URL to an image makes great
              sense there. But a URL makes no sense at all if you're sending that to a
              Garmin GPS 12 and getting software to figure out "that's a PNG of a house,
              I'll use the icon number for 'Residence'" remains a pipe dream.

            • Robert Lipe
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 10, 2010
                On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 8:34 AM, Simon Slavin
                <slavins@...>wrote:

                > > 2) Same question for the <sym> tag (an xsd:string). It is the "Text of
                > GPS symbol name." But are there some standard symbol names? Google Earth
                > recognize it?
                >
                > Here are two versions of an old standard from old Garmin models:
                >
                > http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.3.0/GarminIcons.html

                http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.3.6/GarminIcons.html is newer and more
                representative of newer Garmins.
                http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/GarminIcons.html always points
                to the latest. (Yeah, the pages should link to other versions...)

                > http://home.online.no/~sigurdhu/12MAP_symbols.htm<http://home.online.no/%7Esigurdhu/12MAP_symbols.htm>
                >
                > There is no real standard, but many devices will understand a superset of
                > the text values seen on those pages.

                Right. As some perspective how icky this situation is, I don't think
                there's a single Garmin device that handle every icon on that page.

                RJL