Extension for Photo Information in GPX?

  • davidhayesuk
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2009
      Hi,
      I want to record photo information in a GPX file probably as an extension to wptType.
      Primarily I want to record the lat/long of the photo but ideally I'd like to include
      * Comments/Description
      * Tilt of Camera
      * Direction of Camera
      * ..
      Is there an extension around I can reuse(I can't find one)? If not should there be one? Does anyone have any thoughts on what info should be captured?
      Thanks in advance for your input
      David Hayes

      PS: I'm building a cell phone application for recording a hike (for example) along with photos etc for exporting to a GPX or KML file
    • Simon Slavin
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 15, 2009
        On 14 Sep 2009, at 10:28pm, davidhayesuk wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I want to record photo information in a GPX file probably as an
        > extension to wptType.
        > Primarily I want to record the lat/long of the photo but ideally I'd
        > like to include
        > * Comments/Description
        > * Tilt of Camera
        > * Direction of Camera
        > * ..
        > Is there an extension around I can reuse(I can't find one)? If not
        > should there be one?

        I don't know of one, but a photography professional helped me pick the
        fields mentioned here:

        http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk/geoloc/index.html

        as useful for photography. Longitude and Latitude are already in GPX,
        of course.

        Don't forget to take a look at the documentation for the EXIF fields
        too: they're the opposite: they allow GPS information to encoded
        inside a photograph. But which fields they chose to define might help
        you decide which fields you want to define.

        Simon.