Re: interactive GPX editor on Mac OS X

  • digitalbackcountry
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 23, 2008
      --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, "paul_hermans" <paul@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I saw the announcement of GPX Editor for Windows and I wondered if
      > something similar exists for the Mac.
      >
      > I have been searching for a while now, but with no result yet.
      >

      > Paul

      This is a really old thread, but I'd be interested, if you have time,
      to see what you'd like in an interactive GPX editor. I work for Adobe
      and wrote a GPX library for Flash/ActionScript and am looking into
      creating an Adobe AIR (http://www.adobe.com/go/air) that would let you
      manipulate GPX files.

      =Ryan
      ryan@...
      http://blog.digitalbackcountry.com
    • Lisa Harper
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 24, 2008
        The best gpx editor I've ever used was topofusion (windows). Besides
        adding and deleting points, simplifying, merging and splitting -- it's
        incredibly handy to be able to select a bunch of points and hit the
        delete key. I also wish there were something else as good as
        topofusion on the mac. Even with the most recent version of parallels,
        I can't get topofusion graphics to work well on the mac.

        Lisa

        On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:04 PM, digitalbackcountry
        <ryan@...> wrote:
        > --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, "paul_hermans" <paul@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> I saw the announcement of GPX Editor for Windows and I wondered if
        >> something similar exists for the Mac.
        >>
        >> I have been searching for a while now, but with no result yet.
        >>

        >> Paul
        >>

        > This is a really old thread, but I'd be interested, if you have time,
        > to see what you'd like in an interactive GPX editor. I work for Adobe
        > and wrote a GPX library for Flash/ActionScript and am looking into
        > creating an Adobe AIR (http://www.adobe.com/go/air) that would let you
        > manipulate GPX files.
        >
        > =Ryan
        > ryan@...
        > http://blog.digitalbackcountry.com

      • Michael A. Peters
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 24, 2008
          Lisa Harper wrote:

          > The best gpx editor I've ever used was topofusion (windows). Besides
          > adding and deleting points, simplifying, merging and splitting -- it's
          > incredibly handy to be able to select a bunch of points and hit the
          > delete key. I also wish there were something else as good as
          > topofusion on the mac. Even with the most recent version of parallels,
          > I can't get topofusion graphics to work well on the mac.

          Just be thankful you aren't like me - even more limited as I use Linux
          exclusively :D

          I'm working on a php solution that will be platform independent, but
          will require use of a webserver with some kind of an SQL database.
          Hopefully it will be able to properly input/output both proper gpx and kml.
        • digitalbackcountry
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 24, 2008
            That's one of the reasons I want to build it on Adobe AIR. One, I can
            show it off as part of my day job for Adobe, but AIR also runs on
            Mac/Win/Linux. So I think it would be a fun project.

            Thanks for the note on Topofusion, Lisa. I'll check that out today.

            =Ryan

            --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@...> wrote:

            > Lisa Harper wrote:
            > >

            > > The best gpx editor I've ever used was topofusion (windows). Besides
            > > adding and deleting points, simplifying, merging and splitting -- it's
            > > incredibly handy to be able to select a bunch of points and hit the
            > > delete key. I also wish there were something else as good as
            > > topofusion on the mac. Even with the most recent version of parallels,
            > > I can't get topofusion graphics to work well on the mac.
            >
            > Just be thankful you aren't like me - even more limited as I use Linux
            > exclusively :D
            >
            > I'm working on a php solution that will be platform independent, but
            > will require use of a webserver with some kind of an SQL database.
            > Hopefully it will be able to properly input/output both proper gpx
            and kml.

          • Simon Slavin
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 24, 2008
              On 24 Dec 2008, at 4:04am, digitalbackcountry wrote:

              > This is a really old thread, but I'd be interested

              Garmin's "Road Trip" for the Mac is usable without any Garmin devices,
              and imports and exports GPX files just fine. If you don't have a
              Garmin device than the map won't show much detail (no roads, and
              nothing smaller than a town) but mapping features and editing POIs
              work just fine.

              Simon.
            • paul
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 26, 2008
                I haven't worked long enough with GPX Editor to say what I like or not.
                I'm rather looking for following functionality.

                a) correcting a path
                If I'm recording tracks sometimes the data are not completely correct.
                So I want to edit/correct them before publishing.
                I prefer to do this in a graphical way by dragging the path on a map.

                b) completing a path
                When I pause the tracking due to a stop for eating/drinking, I
                sometimes forget to restart the tracking device, resulting in a gap in
                my track.
                I want to connect these different disconnected paths also by drawing
                on a map.

                So it comes down, as Lisa said, to adding and deleting points,
                simplifying, merging and splitting paths, but using as much as
                possible a drawing mode on a map.

                I look forward to test the AIR app.

                Regards,

                Paul

              • Lisa Harper
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 28, 2008
                  ... and hugely.... cutting a track and deleting a segment. I don't know how
                  many times I've screwed up and left the GPS on recording a long car trip
                  home....
                  Lisa

                  On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 3:29 AM, paul <paul@...> wrote:

                  > I haven't worked long enough with GPX Editor to say what I like or not.
                  > I'm rather looking for following functionality.
                  >
                  > a) correcting a path
                  > If I'm recording tracks sometimes the data are not completely correct.
                  > So I want to edit/correct them before publishing.
                  > I prefer to do this in a graphical way by dragging the path on a map.
                  >
                  > b) completing a path
                  > When I pause the tracking due to a stop for eating/drinking, I
                  > sometimes forget to restart the tracking device, resulting in a gap in
                  > my track.
                  > I want to connect these different disconnected paths also by drawing
                  > on a map.
                  >
                  > So it comes down, as Lisa said, to adding and deleting points,
                  > simplifying, merging and splitting paths, but using as much as
                  > possible a drawing mode on a map.
                  >
                  > I look forward to test the AIR app.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Paul

                • gregmtnbike
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                    To take this one step further if you click (select) a point in the text version that point
                    should be highlighted on the map, and visa versa.

                    I'd also like to see speed, elevation, and slope plots. These would require smoothing
                    options (something like least square fits over 3 to x points.

                    Working with Google Earth would be nice. But GE is pretty hopeless in dealing with
                    multiple saved items. To explain a bit: if I want to save a bunch of tracks as bike rides, but
                    then want to later further subdivide them by region. I may or may not want the stored
                    waypoints in each gpx file. Or I may want to see all from a certain time span. Think Smart
                    Searches.

                    Average tracks together. Maybe I've done something five times and want to combine the
                    tracks into one averaged together track.

                    I'd never heard of AIR, but it would have to respect the Mac Open Dialog. Java apps don't
                    and it makes them hard to use. I use Default Folder and expect to be able to go back to
                    the folder I was in, even if it's on another volume. In other words it should also work with
                    Default Folder.

                    Good luck. Looking forward to a good gpx app.

                    --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, paul <paul@...> wrote:

                    > I haven't worked long enough with GPX Editor to say what I like or not.
                    > I'm rather looking for following functionality.
                    >
                    > a) correcting a path
                    > If I'm recording tracks sometimes the data are not completely correct.
                    > So I want to edit/correct them before publishing.
                    > I prefer to do this in a graphical way by dragging the path on a map.
                    >
                    > b) completing a path
                    > When I pause the tracking due to a stop for eating/drinking, I
                    > sometimes forget to restart the tracking device, resulting in a gap in
                    > my track.
                    > I want to connect these different disconnected paths also by drawing
                    > on a map.
                    >
                    > So it comes down, as Lisa said, to adding and deleting points,
                    > simplifying, merging and splitting paths, but using as much as
                    > possible a drawing mode on a map.
                    >
                    > I look forward to test the AIR app.
                    >

                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Paul

                  • williammodesitt
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 25, 2014
                      Six years later, and there's now a GPX Editor for the Mac:
                      I'm the developer of the app, so if anyone has used this product please let me know what you think.  It's at version 1.2 now, but v1.3 will be posted within a day or so.  I'm always looking for ways to make it better.
                      Thanks.
                      Bill