Re: [gpsxml] Waypoints, Tracks, Routes

  • Andy Mabbett
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
      In message <4777A6DE.8060800@...>, Paul Tomblin
      <ptomblin@...> writes

      >Simon Slavin wrote:
      >> And altitude ! Why in heaven's name don't Garmin's units log the
      >> altitude when they log track points ? They show it on the display.
      >> The track points are logged in GPX format. It should be easy. Adding
      >> another dimension would make such an improvement to any graphics
      >> showing the route taken and increase purchases by climbers.
      >I'm guessing it's because they used to use NMEA as their data exchange
      >format. I don't know the internals, but I'm guessing the fact that the
      >M stands for Marine means they didn't think altitude would be very
      >important.

      Tell that to a submarine captain!

      --
      Andy Mabbett

      * Are you using Microformats, yet: <http://microformats.org/> ?
    • Paul Tomblin
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
        On Jan 3, 2008 1:52 PM, Andy Mabbett <andy@...> wrote:
        > In message <4777A6DE.8060800@...>, Paul Tomblin
        > <ptomblin@...> writes
        > >I'm guessing it's because they used to use NMEA as their data exchange
        > >format. I don't know the internals, but I'm guessing the fact that the
        > >M stands for Marine means they didn't think altitude would be very
        > >important.
        >
        > Tell that to a submarine captain!

        Your GPS picks up signals underwater? How do you do that?

        --
        "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
        are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and