hi

  • kamel elkedrouci
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
      please can someone tell me what is the difference between: track, waypoint and route??

    • Paul Tomblin
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
        On 10/2/07, kamel elkedrouci <kamel_inct@...> wrote:

        > please can someone tell me what is the difference between: track,
        > waypoint and route??

        A waypoint is a permanent location, like an airport or a radio navigation
        aid, or on the ground, an orienteering control. A route is a series of
        waypoints, such as a flight plan or an orienteering course. A track is a
        series of locations that aren't waypoints, like a recording of where you
        actually flew or ran. Typically, you'll program your route in your GPS
        before going, and download the track afterwards.

        --
        "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
        are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and

      • Jan Pieters
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
          Waypoint - any point that has coordinates (latitude and longitude) and if
          applicable height. Waypoints can be defined by you or others.
          Route - A collection (ordered) of waypoints, that are typically prepared
          beforehand. Eg. when you plan for a hiking trip.
          Track - A collection of waypoints that were actually travelled, so when you
          record a trip in the mountains

          Jan

          On 10/3/07, Paul Tomblin <ptomblin@...> wrote:

          > On 10/2/07, kamel elkedrouci <kamel_inct@...<kamel_inct%40yahoo.fr>>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > please can someone tell me what is the difference between: track,
          > > waypoint and route??
          > >

          > A waypoint is a permanent location, like an airport or a radio navigation
          > aid, or on the ground, an orienteering control. A route is a series of
          > waypoints, such as a flight plan or an orienteering course. A track is a
          > series of locations that aren't waypoints, like a recording of where you
          > actually flew or ran. Typically, you'll program your route in your GPS
          > before going, and download the track afterwards.
          >
          > --
          > "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
          > are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
          > servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." -- Teddy
          > Roosevelt

          Met vriendelijke groet/Greetings
          J.K. Pieters
          tel : +31 6 1850 1847
        • kamel
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
            oh thank you very much for answers.
          • Dan Anderson
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2007
              --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, kamel elkedrouci <kamel_inct@...> wrote:

              > please can someone tell me what is the difference between: track,
              waypoint and route??

              Here's one way of defining them:

              http://www.gpsmap.net/BasicHints.html#waypointsRoutesTracks
            • kamel
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                how can I know that the GPX file is not modified, I mean the GPX can
                be edited by someone?
                and thanks in advanced for your answers!
              • Martin
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                  Other than the usual Windows modified-date and things like that, I don't
                  think you CAN tell. It's just a text file. If you put some sort of
                  checksum at the end you could probably tell.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2007
                    Hello,

                    Thursday, October 4, 2007, 6:13:18 AM, kamel wrote:

                    > how can I know that the GPX file is not modified, I mean the GPX can
                    > be edited by someone?
                    > and thanks in advanced for your answers!

                    1. explain why you care about this - you might get a better answer.

                    2. GPX editors are supposed to fill in the creator="my_program.exe"
                    attribute at the top of the file. So if you see creator="EasyGPS 2.7"
                    at the top of a file you created, that's a good sign someone edited it
                    in EasyGPS. Obviously, this won't help you if someone edits it by
                    hand.

                    3. you are welcome to use the gpx_modified schema as shown below:

                    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                    <gpx xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" version="1.1" creator="GeoBuddy 2.6" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd http://www.topografix.com/GPX/gpx_style/0/2 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/gpx_style/0/2/gpx_style.xsd http://www.topografix.com/GPX/gpx_overlay/0/3 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/gpx_overlay/0/3/gpx_overlay.xsd http://www.topografix.com/GPX/gpx_modified/0/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/gpx_modified/0/1/gpx_modified.xsd http://www.topografix.com/GPX/Private/TopoGrafix/0/3 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/Private/TopoGrafix/0/3/topografix.xsd">
                    <metadata>
                    <bounds minlat="43.75637555" minlon="-71.56574950" maxlat="43.76099119" maxlon="-71.55958980"/>
                    <extensions>
                    <time xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/gpx_modified/0/1">2007-09-25T14:49:00.361Z</time>
                    </extensions>
                    </metadata>

                  • Dan Anderson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 5, 2007
                      --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, "kamel" <kamel_inct@...> wrote:

                      > how can I know that the GPX file is not modified, I mean the GPX can
                      > be edited by someone?
                      > and thanks in advanced for your answers!

                      You can't tell if someone modified the file under normal
                      circumstances. If you need to be able to tell, you would have to add
                      an encrypted signature. A public/private key would allow people other
                      than the creator (or whoever has the private key) to verify that it
                      hasn't been modified.
                    • Dan Anderson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 5, 2007
                        --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Anderson" <dananderson2@...> wrote:

                        > --- In gpsxml@yahoogroups.com, "kamel" <kamel_inct@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > how can I know that the GPX file is not modified, I mean the GPX can
                        > > be edited by someone?
                        > > and thanks in advanced for your answers!
                        > >
                        > You can't tell if someone modified the file under normal
                        > circumstances. If you need to be able to tell, you would have to add
                        > an encrypted signature. A public/private key would allow people other
                        > than the creator (or whoever has the private key) to verify that it
                        > hasn't been modified.

                        In the above I'm assuming that you don't have the original GPX file.
                        If you have the original file, just run a difference program on the
                        original file and the file suspected of modifications.