Re: [gpsxml] Re: GPSml and GPX

  • Kjeld Jensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2002
      Hi Andrzej Jan Taramina,

      Besides our verbal controversies I must say that I have to agree with you
      on many of your ideas and arguments. I believe this discussion could become
      rewarding so I think we should continue it here for a while. It is not like
      there's so much email trafic here anyway :-)

      Let's cut away our disagreements and misunderstandings and for a second
      assume that I and the other contributers to GPX took the position that it
      would be a better idea to drop GPX and instead use GPSml for our purposes.

      That would be scaling GPSml down to handle the waypoints/routes/track data
      exchange between various types of applications and databases.

      This rises some questions.....

      - As far as I can see the XML data below constitutes the lowest common
      denominator when regards to information for a waypoint or a track. Am I
      right in this? Probably not as I don't see information about the units used
      (meters/feet for altitude and so on).

      --
      (XML header removed)
      <GPSData>
      <Collection>
      <Waypoint>
      <Position>
      <Latitude>-45.707661705091596</Latitude>
      <Longitude>80.33008656464517</Longitude>
      <Altitude>210.41272</Altitude>
      </Position>
      <Identification>
      <Identifier>AMBUSH</Identifier>
      </Identification>
      </Waypoint>
      </Collection>
      </GPSData>
      --
      (XML header removed)
      <GPSData>
      <Collection>
      <Track>
      <Identifier>19-OCT-01</Identifier>
      <TrackSegment>
      <Trackpoint>
      <Position>
      <Latitude>-45.697224140167236</Latitude>
      <Longitude>80.40934324264526</Longitude>
      <Altitude>267.37036</Altitude>
      </Position>
      </Trackpoint>
      </Track>
      </Collection>
      </GPSData>
      --

      - As we have agreed time is an important issue here. When would we as
      developers be able to use a full featured version "1.0" of GPSml for our

      - I don't know that much about XML. Would I be able to incorporate
      additional "cetus" tags like for instance if I wanted to express the
      calculated variance in a waypoint determined by averaging and if so then
      how would I do it?

      - We strongly disagree in general when regards to the principles of storing
      data in only one format and then let the export routine do the conversion
      or being able to store data in several formats and then let the import
      routine handle the conversion. But I can follow your arguments and there
      may be releant features within XML parsing that I am not aware of. You
      mentioned XLT's how does this work? More important do you see any way that
      we can make GPSml usable for programmers who have written a simple GPS
      application or database which only handles for instance the WGS84 datum,
      decimal minutes and knots/nautical miles/feet units. With usable I mean
      able to exchange data with a database on the net which is also built by a
      programmer with limited knowledge of XML.

      I know you have written a Java library to handle this, but it should also
      be possible for a programmer/web database designer to do without the
      library.

      By the way have you considered the precision to which you store lat/lon
      data in your example? It may be a little out of bounds to illustrate them
      using a precision of less than one nanometer.

      Kjeld

      Kjeld Jensen
      N 55° 22' E 10° 24'
      Email: kjeld@...