GPX Schema question

  • Paul Tomblin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
      What is the difference between <fix> and <type>? I've been using the
      <type> record for "AIRPORT", "VOR", "VFR-WPT", etc. But would it be
      better to put that in <fix>?

      --
      "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
      are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
        Paul Tomblin wrote:
        > What is the difference between <fix> and <type>? I've been using the
        > <type> record for "AIRPORT", "VOR", "VFR-WPT", etc. But would it be
        > better to put that in <fix>?

        As per the GPX 1.1 schema, for Waypoints, the "type" element
        is the "Type (classification) of the waypoint", whereas the
        "fix" element is the "Type of GPX fix".

        That text for "fix" has a typo - it should read
        "Type of GPS fix"(same typo applies for the "sat" element).

        The valid values for "fix" are listed in the GPX documentation:
        http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/#type_fixType

        If you want to classify some aviation-related waypoints
        as "AIRPORT", "VOR", "VFR-WPT", etc., then using the
        "type" element seems appropriate, but those values
        don't belong in the "fix" element.

        --
        Dave Patton

        Co-Lead Developer, Punt