Re: Opencaching.us

  • sabrefan71114
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 16 8:59 PM
      Well said. I have joined OCUS and have 1 hide of the 4 current in New York. Its not cross listed nor will any future ones from me be cross listed I dont want it to replace GC but would like it to be another source for caching. I hope it works out
      SF7

      --- In gpsstash@yahoogroups.com, "gc_scout" <Scout@...> wrote:

      > To me, the most significant feature of the Opencaching movement is the open database. That is, all of the cache information is available for the community to access and to create value-added services around.
      >
      > The bitterest controversies in geocaching's history centered around services such as geocache maps and geocacher stats. The community members who volunteered to provide such services were hampered by restrictive terms of use to the point that the best such services were shut down.
      >
      > The Opencaching movement promises that the data won't be locked behind restrictive walls, but be freely available to whatever creative use any talented person in the community is willing to volunteer to offer.
      >
      > --
      > Scout

    • Roderick Parks
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 28 3:14 AM
        I've got no axe to grind with Groundspeak and in fact I was delighted to meet
        the 3 co-founders this weekend and have the chance to chat with them. I didn't
        have a single negative thing to say about what they're doing because they're
        facilitating so much fun for everyone.

        However, when I signed up 3 years ago, their Terms and Conditions made me take a
        sharp breath and even more so with those for their proprietary "Wherigo"
        technology. It is their site and they are fully entitled to make whatever rules
        they wish, even though their demands over intellectual property rights make me
        cringe. Either I accept them, or leave. I have no intention of doing the latter!

        Whilst it's their site, it's our hobby. It's young, exciting and we can push it
        in so many different ways that don't fit a mould. Within 6 weeks of starting
        caching, I had someone trying to impose arbitrary rules on me and over-ride
        reviewers who considered my plans acceptable - it encouraged me to look at the
        history of the hobby and embrace the alternative sites.

        I started cross-listing on Navicache and then joined Terracaching - I love the
        TC scoring system because the game can be about far more than absolute numbers
        of caches found, however, NC just can't do decent GPX files or map-based
        searches and TC is king of the 500 Server Error (now hidden behind a 502 Proxy
        error, but still there) and no sign of either of those sites fixing their issues
        let alone catching up with Groundspeak in functionality.

        OpenCaching is open source as well as open database; it makes no claim on
        intellectual property and places the emphasis on individual responsibility.
        Thereby it fosters innovation in a way that no other site can. Competition from
        a dynamic competitor (albeit a small one like all the others) is good for the
        development of the game and ultimately good for Groundspeak who may struggle to
        innovate without competition (Wherigo being a really good example of an
        innovation that has not worked).

        These points are wasted on most cachers so for them, Groundspeak and only
        Groundspeak is fine. But for those who want the freedom and responsibility to
        shape our hobby in our own ways, OpenCaching offers great promise. In UK, in its
        first year, OpenCaching exceeded the total of all caches on Navicache and
        Terracaching and is in with a fighting chance of achieving critical mass and
        becoming mainstream, as it has in Germany and Poland already.

        I'm placing all my new caches on OpenCaching and only cross-listing a few on
        Groundspeak, to help seed the area and encourage more to join in.

        Roderick.

        The reasonable man adapts himself to the ways of the world. The unreasonable man
        adapts the world to his ways. Therefore all progress depends upon the
        unreasonable man.

        To me, the most significant feature of the Opencaching movement is the open
        database. That is, all of the cache information is available for the community
        to access and to create value-added services around.

        The bitterest controversies in geocaching's history centered around services
        such as geocache maps and geocacher stats. The community members who volunteered
        to provide such services were hampered by restrictive terms of use to the point
        that the best such services were shut down.

        The Opencaching movement promises that the data won't be locked behind
        restrictive walls, but be freely available to whatever creative use any talented
        person in the community is willing to volunteer to offer.

        --
        Scout

        Geocaching services:
        http://geocaching.com http://terracaching.com http://navicache.com